PDA

View Full Version : Yet more hung postings...

mugaliens
2007-Sep-26, 07:03 PM
I'd really like to be able to make a serious additional comment, but the system won't let me.

Affected thread. (http://www.bautforum.com/space-exploration/65200-mealworms-martian-diet.html)

I just had a horrible thought:

Ok - we partially irradiate the foods, leave a few bacteria left. We dehydrate it, depriving them of the moisture they need. We vacuum-pack it and expose it to extreme cold, creating a hostile situation not unlike that of Mars, itself.

Then, we dump the extrement overboard on Mars when we're done.

If there's any hope for common bacteria to survive on Mars, we've just eliminated about 99% of the competition by dumping the absolute hardiest ones of the bunch, perfectly suited for a Martian environment, on Mars.

Does anyone else see a problem, here?

It's either that or "pack it in, pack it out," which, after 60 days, would require considerable amount of additional delta-V

Perhaps we should simply irradiate the stuff our of the stuff (pardon the pun) we leave behind so that nothing would survive? I dunno - hermetically seal the waste then rig a device which allows two subcritical masses to come near enough one another for a very long time such that nothing can survive?

*** Why can I post here, but not on the affected thread???

This is about the fourth or fifth time I've experienced this phenomena, reporting it each time, but without receiving a good explanation.

hhEb09'1
2007-Sep-26, 07:15 PM
I'd really like to be able to make a serious additional comment, but the system won't let me.How did you make that post?