PDA

View Full Version : Is it Venus?

Eric Vaxxine
2007-Sep-27, 12:38 AM
I live in the west London suburbs .... and as I left for work at 4.30am I saw Orion large due south. A very bright point of light due east caught my eye. Venus? I asked myself. It was as bright as an aeroplane's landing lights.

I was quite surprised to see a fixed point so bright. Is it Venus?
If it is, would I be correct in thinking it is closer to earth
than in the last couple of years?

2007-Sep-27, 12:47 AM
If it is, would I be correct in thinking it is closer to earth
than in the last couple of years?

MSNBC: Brilliant Venus: Spot the morning beacon -- Planet will be at its brightest just after dawn on Sept. 23 (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20775732/)

The planet Venus has erupted into view in the eastern morning sky during the past couple of weeks. [...] It will attain its greatest brilliance on Sept. 23, appearing at an eye-popping magnitude of -4.6. This is 19 times as bright as the brightest star in the sky, Sirius (in Canis Major, the Big Dog), and 10 times as bright as the next-brightest planet, Jupiter.

But brightness is not solely a matter of closeness. At its closest, Venus shows Earth a dark side.

Venus was at inferior conjunction on Aug. 18, in line between the Earth and the sun. Now it is swinging away from that line, speeding ahead of the Earth in its faster orbit. So in a telescope during September, it displays a large, brilliant, beautiful crescent that waxes in phase all month while shrinking in size. When September opened, Venus was only 8-percent illuminated, but by month's end, that figure will have increased to 33 percent. But because it will have receded 16 million miles from Earth, the planet will appear more than one-third smaller than it did at the start of the month.

R.A.F.
2007-Sep-27, 12:48 AM
I don't know it's distance at the moment from the Earth but yes, what you saw was Venus.

It is rather brilliant in the pre-dawn sky, isn't it.

KaiYeves
2007-Sep-27, 12:54 AM
I was in D.C. in May and enjoying an evening tour of the Mall. As I returned to the tour bus, walking past the reflecting pool, I turned around to look at the Lincoln Memorial. Right above it, although not centered, was Venus. I turned around- and there was the reflecting pool, then the Washington Monument, and then the Captiol Building. So cool, so cool.

Warren Platts
2007-Sep-27, 01:28 AM
At its closest, Venus shows Earth a dark side.At its closest, Venus always shows the same dark side.

Robert Tulip
2007-Sep-27, 02:54 AM
Attached planetary calendar for 2007 shows Venus (the pink line) passing the Sun on 18 August and headed for conjunction with Saturn, the moon and the South Lunar Node on 8 October. Will the moon occlude Venus and Saturn on 8 October?

hhEb09'1
2007-Sep-27, 04:05 AM
Attached planetary calendar for 2007 shows Venus (the pink line) passing the Sun on 18 August and headed for conjunction with Saturn, the moon and the South Lunar Node on 8 October. Will the moon occlude Venus and Saturn on 8 October?My astronomy software shows it going between Venus and Saturn, and occulting Regulus on the early morning of the 7th, too early for me to see it here on the East Coast of the USA.

Eric Vaxxine
2007-Sep-28, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the answers everyone.

space101
2007-Sep-28, 03:05 AM
Hi Eric I too saw something surprising yesterday. check the question i posted below...
http://www.bautforum.com/questions-answers/65250-what-did-i-see.html