PDA

View Full Version : Dawn is Gone

Fraser
2007-Sep-27, 04:25 PM
The big day arrived, and nothing could keep that spacecraft on the ground. At 7:34 am EDT NASA's Dawn spacecraft was lofted into space atop a Boeing Delta 2 rocket, beginning a 3 billion km (1.7 billion mile) journey to meet with two different large asteroids. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/09/27/dawn-is-gone/)

Jerry
2007-Sep-28, 02:53 PM
Dawn is gone?

Don't scare us like that!

Fraser
2007-Sep-29, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about how it rhymed, not that it might be scary sounding.

Dave Mitsky
2007-Sep-29, 04:01 PM
It seems that Dawn was gone just after dawn.

Dave Mitsky

Jerry
2007-Oct-01, 04:13 AM
Painful!

Dawn is very important. It will be the first attempt to land and take off from a solar body that is not near earth orbit. Not only should we get a very good picture of the mass of these asteroids, we should also learn a great deal about the distribution of the mass within the body as well. Planetary Geophysicists haven't been able to reach firm conclusion about mass distribution in either Mars or Venus, so the data could be very enlightening.

antoniseb
2007-Oct-01, 10:31 AM
It will be the first attempt to land and take off from a solar body that is not near earth orbit.
Not quite. It will orbit a dwarf planet, and an asteroid, but it will not land on either one.

Jerry
2007-Oct-01, 06:20 PM
Bummer. If it were me, I would land, I mean at least long enough to visit a local pub and finish a cigarette. But orbiting & then moving on will be helpful as well.

As far as the names go, I still call the sewage treatment plant the sewage treatment plant. I just wish they would still call it that in the phone book, so I can find it.

antoniseb
2007-Oct-01, 06:30 PM
If it were me, I would land
I agree. I think we will start to see some missions in the next ten or twenty years that will go around sample collecting from many asteroids, and then return them, but at the moment non-Moon/Mars money is tight, and it is tough to make a case for mission development.

Doodler
2007-Oct-01, 07:10 PM
Dawn is gone?

Don't scare us like that!

Heh, on reading the title, I gasped and thought about that probe that was lost a few years back...