PDA

View Full Version : Episode 56: Jupiter

Fraser
2007-Oct-01, 03:00 PM
Last week we talked about rubble, this week we're going to dig into the largest planet in the Solar System: Jupiter, but will it all just be hot gas? There's so much to talk about, we've decided to break this up into two shows. This week we're going to just talk about Jupiter, and then next week, we're going to cover its moons.

<strong><a href="http://media.libsyn.com/media/astronomycast/AstroCast-071001.mp3">Episode 56: Jupiter (15.7MB)</a></strong><br />&nbsp;<br />

Read the full blog entry (http://www.astronomycast.com/solar-system/episode-56-jupiter/)

Delysid
2007-Oct-02, 06:15 AM
Pamela said that "the cloud layers on Jupiter are about 50 km thick", which is 0.07% of Jupiter's 71,500 km radius. So what's the nature of the gases below this egg-shell-thin "cloud layer" that makes them not clouds?

Words fail me somewhat. I understand that going deeper into Jupiter one doesn't encounter sharply defined transitions from gas to liquid to solid, but rather a continuum of increasing density. But surely at a mere 50 km deep Jupiter would still be gas, wouldn't it? If so, what differentiates the "cloud layers" gas of the first 50 km depth from the sub-cloud gas below 50 km?

Or maybe I'm just asking what is meant by "clouds" in the Jovian context?

Bonus Question: Are the white and pinkish oval storms, including Big Red, phenomena that are limited to the 50 km thick cloud layer, or do they extend more deeply into the belly of the beast?

EvilEye
2007-Oct-04, 12:18 AM
Was I the only one who noticed that Pamela said that Jupiter could be as far away as "500 thousand Kilometers"?

I laughed really hard, and then the next time she said "million".

jamesabrown
2007-Oct-04, 01:40 PM
Nope, I heard it too.

Hey, a thousand here, a million here . . . pretty soon you're talking really far distances

normdowling
2007-Oct-06, 05:26 AM
i did notice this as well.

it was just a slip that wasnt worth fixing

Jerry
2007-Oct-09, 02:23 PM
If Jupiter swung in to 500kkm, you'd want it fixed. (They fixed it in the transcript.)

I don't think it is unfair to say that Galileo raised more questions about Jupiter than answers. Why is big red red? What's it made of?

EvilEye
2007-Oct-09, 06:36 PM
If Jupiter swung in to 500kkm, you'd want it fixed. (They fixed it in the transcript.)

I don't think it is unfair to say that Galileo raised more questions about Jupiter than answers. Why is big red red? What's it made of?

Well... it would make for at least one really cool planet-rise. Imagine THAT sucker coming up over the horizon!