PDA

View Full Version : NASA is Building the Third Tallest Roller Coaster in the World, as an Escape System

Fraser
2007-Oct-05, 03:33 PM
Let's hope that nothing ever goes wrong while astronauts are preparing to launch on their Ares 1 rocket - the new vehicle that will replace the space shuttle. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/10/05/nasa-is-building-the-third-tallest-roller-coaster-in-the-world-as-an-escape-system/)

Demigrog
2007-Oct-05, 05:55 PM
Hmm, I'm thinking that would be a great addition to the Up Close tour. :)

Leafguy
2007-Oct-06, 04:56 AM
Is it just me or does this seem like a complete waste of money?
First off, a roller coaster is the not best way to save an incapacitated person. Last time I checked, that a person without any upper body control can be exposed to serious injury, let alone one that has no control at all being out cold. Secondly, if its time to evacuate everyone, chances are its already to late and 4 minutes doesn't give much of a hope, especially if you are stuck waiting for the last personnel, the 4 minutes down is accompanied with various amounts of time waiting. What they need is a way down for individuals so they can escape as they get to a certain area.

aiabx
2007-Oct-07, 03:49 PM
For the kind of money NASA is spending on this, you'd think it could loop at least once.

Swift
2007-Oct-10, 02:22 PM
Will they have a little sign at the entrance to the launch tower "You must be this high to ride the escape system"?
:D

Grand_Lunar
2007-Oct-13, 01:18 PM
Is it just me or does this seem like a complete waste of money?
First off, a roller coaster is the not best way to save an incapacitated person. Last time I checked, that a person without any upper body control can be exposed to serious injury, let alone one that has no control at all being out cold. Secondly, if its time to evacuate everyone, chances are its already to late and 4 minutes doesn't give much of a hope, especially if you are stuck waiting for the last personnel, the 4 minutes down is accompanied with various amounts of time waiting. What they need is a way down for individuals so they can escape as they get to a certain area.

It's not a roller coaster in the convential sense. It's not like what you'd see at, say, Busch Gardens.

It seems to be an integral part of the new launch tower.
It's design is being made to allow for evacuation of injured personal.