PDA

View Full Version : University Challenge- what a laugh

Glom
2003-Jul-21, 07:58 PM
The teams are Journalists and Fine Art Auctioneers *cough*nerds*cough*

The journalists got bonus questions in physics.

Question: Which one of the four fundamental interaction differs from the other three in that, within its range, its strength increases with distance.
Answer: Strong interaction.
Their answer: Gravity.

Question: Which property is associated with particles that are affected by the strong interaction?
Answer: Colour.
Their answer: Magnetism.

Question: Photons are the particles that carry the electrostatic interaction. What particle is exchanged between quarks as a carrier of the strong interaction?
Answer: Gluons.
Their answer: Electrons, although in the conferring between them, they'd considered giving quasars as an answer. Paxman followed this up by saying, "Do have any idea what you're talking about?"

TriangleMan
2003-Jul-21, 08:12 PM
Any particular reason why you expected journalism students to know the answers?

Glom
2003-Jul-21, 08:13 PM
No reason. But it's still a laugh.

Colt
2003-Jul-21, 09:56 PM
I would have gotten those wrong also. :cry: I would not have given those idiotic answers though.. If I don't know, I'd rather not answer than give some asinine answer. -Colt

wedgebert
2003-Jul-22, 03:23 AM
Quasars? Them some mighty big carrier particles... =D>

captain swoop
2003-Jul-22, 08:46 AM
I would have gotten those wrong also. :cry: I would not have given those idiotic answers though.. If I don't know, I'd rather not answer than give some asinine answer. -Colt

But there is a chance you could get it.

If the question involves some old time 'witty' quote always answer Dr Johnson or Oscar Wilde, you are bound to be right.

kilopi
2003-Jul-22, 03:41 PM
Who said "A man always has two reasons for doing anything--a good reason and the real reason." :)

Matherly
2003-Jul-22, 05:28 PM
Also add Samual "Mark Twain" Clemins. He had some great ones.

"Pretend I am in Congress. Now pretend I am an idiot. Ah, but I repeat myself..." - Mark Twain

kilopi
2003-Jul-22, 05:49 PM
And I'm going to add Ben Franklin to that list. He's on all my lists. I collect copies of his portrait.

tracer
2003-Jul-22, 07:35 PM
kilopi: Are the copies of Benjamin Franklin's portrait that you collect done in black-and-green Intaglio printing on special linen-based paper, by any chance?

Iain Lambert
2003-Jul-23, 09:30 AM
Any particular reason why you expected journalism students to know the answers?

Just to clarify a minor point, while the universities are out for the summer they are mixing things up and doing a series with graduates grouped by profession for a change, rather than students grouped by college.

Last I saw the Journalists were doing pretty well, second behind only the Inland Revenue in the first round for points.

tracer
2003-Jul-24, 01:46 AM
"Inland Revenue" is the name of your tax collection agency on the other side of the pond, right? (Over here, we call 'em Internal Revenue. They're the least-liked of all branches of the Federal government.)

Iain Lambert
2003-Jul-24, 08:38 AM
Yep, they are the UK version of the IRS.

Don't mess with them and they won't mess with you. They didn't actually get easier questions due to their reputation, though, they were just scarily knowledgeable about a wide range of subjects.

Glom
2003-Jul-24, 11:11 AM
On 'The Weakest Link' once, a fully grown adult was asked what government agency collected taxes. He answered 'Tax Office'. :lol:

captain swoop
2003-Jul-24, 12:44 PM
On 'The Weakest Link' once, a fully grown adult was asked what government agency collected taxes. He answered 'Tax Office'. :lol:

Now, be careful with posts like this. I may be forced to retaliate with a 'Dumb britain' Q & A from the column of the same name in private Eye magazine. This features examples like the above heard on various tv and radio quiz shows. You can win a tenner for sending one in.

what the heck, here we go.

The Weakest Link, BBC2

Anne Robinson: Which month in the Gregorian calendar is named after Augustus Caesar?
Contestant: June.

AR: Name the doctor who founded children’s homes and orphanages in Britain in the late 19th century.
Contestant: Dr Doolittle.

AR: Which D is an area of Holland famous for its distinctive pottery?
Contestant: Denmark.

AR: What item of photographic equipment has the same name as the private chamber of a judge?
Contestant: Tripod.

#-o

tracer
2003-Jul-24, 06:35 PM
Anne Robinson: Which month in the Gregorian calendar is named after Augustus Caesar?
Contestant: June.
Silly contestant -- obviously, the correct answer is October!
(Augustus's name before he became emperor was Octavian, after all.)