PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek TNG

SpaceTrekkie
2003-Jul-21, 10:28 PM
Ok, my obsession with Sci-fi/fantasy has gotten the best of me so i decided to start a TNG thread. I guess i can start by listing some of my favorite quotes/episodes.

well my most fav. quotes are the ones in my sig and almost everything Q said.

and my fav. episodes are the ones with Q and The Best of Both Worlds parts 1 and 2.

SpaceTrekkie
2003-Jul-21, 10:29 PM
Oops i thought the poll could have 5 options ..well if Enterprise is your fav. just say so!

wedgebert
2003-Jul-21, 10:30 PM
My favorite TNG epsiode was the series finalie.

Not because I liked the episode or anything, I was just glad the show was finally over... \:D/

BigJim
2003-Jul-21, 10:35 PM
I loved TOS. It's always been my favorite TV show.

I don't think you're going to get any votes for Enterprise, though....

pmcolt
2003-Jul-21, 10:38 PM
My favorite modern-era series is DS9, just because it was different. I used to think TOS was pretty cheezy, but (BUT, BUT!!!) it's really grown on me and it's probably my favorite overall.

I don't know if I can pick a favorite TNG episode. Probably The Best of Both Worlds, Yesterday's Enterprise, and The Inner Light would be up there.

SpaceTrekkie
2003-Jul-21, 10:43 PM
I don't think you're going to get any votes for Enterprise, though....
Didn't think i would but i tried to include everyone.

I don't know if I can pick a favorite TNG episode. Probably The Best of Both Worlds, Yesterday's Enterprise, and The Inner Light would be up there.
I did not even think of Yesterudays Enterprise and i also liked Skin of Evil- Tasha Speech

BigJim
2003-Jul-21, 10:46 PM
You know, now we have threads on three of the five Star Trek series.

My opinion:

Star Trek TOS - THE BEST. INCOMPARABLE TO ANY OTHER TV SHOW, EVER.

Star Trek TNG - An OK show. Worth watching if nothing else good is on.

Star Trek DS9 - Blah. More like Babylon 5 than Star Trek.

Star Trek Voyager - Awful, but a decent episode will pop in here and there.

Enterprise - The thought that goes through my mind when watching it: "This is Star Trek?"

ocasey3
2003-Jul-21, 11:56 PM
DS9 came before Babylon 5.

Colt
2003-Jul-22, 02:00 AM
I've never liked Babylon 5 for some reason.. It seemd to copy too much from Star Trek. The technology was different yes. In the few episodes/movies of it that I have seen I never saw one of their fighters though. :( -Colt

Odinoneeye
2003-Jul-22, 04:21 AM
I'd give a vote to DS9. Not at first, but it's last few seasons were extraordinary.

It was nice seeing a war that lasted for more than a 3 part episode.

Glom
2003-Jul-22, 12:21 PM
It's a shame they gave up on it. They really looked like they couldn't be bothered in the second half of season seven.

snowcelt
2003-Jul-22, 12:25 PM
TNG. Why? When I watched the Kirk ones I was inspired. Tng--- pure delight in a series that I knew would be better than 30 Something.

gethen
2003-Jul-22, 02:22 PM
I voted for TNG but I have to share something I read years ago. A NASA guy was asked whether he'd prefer Kirk or Picard as a captain. He said Picard of course, because Kirk was just too apt to go rushing off into battle without really thinking things through. Picard was more resonsible. Next question--who would win a fight between Kirk and Picard? Kirk of course, because while Picard was discussing whether they should even fight, Kirk would just shoot him. Kind of sums up the differences between the two series in my mind. but I love both. Voayager just sucked. Haven't seen much of the others.

Chuck
2003-Jul-23, 05:35 AM
I liked TNG and Babylon 5 in their first couple of seasons when each episode was a separate adventure. After the characters became more developed both shows started becoming more like soap operas with continuing themes.

Pi Man
2003-Jul-23, 05:42 AM
Oh... please don't make me choose! Voyager... No, TNG... No, Voyager... No... ARGH!

I, after much deliberation, cast my vote for Voyager (and immediately wished I could go back and deliberate more.)

I then found that only 2 people(including myself) voted for Voyager! What do people have against it? Or is it just that TNG was so cool? :-k

Colt
2003-Jul-23, 06:03 AM
Wel, Voyager had alot of inconsistencies in it. Plus, they made the Borg into the weekly bad guys instead of the menacing thread to the Galaxy that they were in TNG.

My biggest gripe with Voyager is that they NEVER used the aerowing! They even built an entirely new ship which was stupid. :evil: :evil: :evil: -Colt

ocasey3
2003-Jul-23, 06:07 AM
I watched Voyager when it first started but after the umpteenth temporal displacement plot-line I called it quits. Now I watch it on the weekends when nothing else is on. So-so Star Trek is better than no Star Trek. I haven't seen very many episodes of Enterprise so I don't really have an opinion except that I do like the cast but I HATE that dang song!! :evil:

pmcolt
2003-Jul-23, 06:57 AM
In my opinion, the biggest problems with Voyager were that it gave us:
- the pet Borg. They look like Borg, they talk like Borg, their ships blow up if you look at them funny.
- 101 uses for the deflector dish. it slices, dices, mashes, bashes, realigns...
- the expando shuttle-bay. how many shuttles can they cram in there, anyway?
- quantum slipstream, transwarp, coaxial warp, trajectors, and various other FTL propulsion systems. the alpha quadrant races look like dolts, still mucking about with warp drive...
- Fair Haven.

Though to be fair, I did continue to watch the series, if only out of morbid curiosity.

Doodler
2003-Jul-25, 04:36 AM
DS9 came before Babylon 5 because it was rushed to production, after JMS first approached Paramount about the concept for B5 and was turned away, in order to beat B5 to the punch. There was a LONG running stink over DS9/B5 and it was pretty clearly determined who plagarised whom. I lost a LOT of respect for the ST production team for that stunt. :evil:

johnwitts
2003-Jul-27, 12:45 AM
It's all good, especially Enterprise...

[runs and hides]

Archer17
2003-Jul-27, 12:49 AM
I think TOS was best, never got into the followups. TNG in my mind would have to be second, although in fairness to DS9 fans I quit watching it halfway thru the first season. Enterprise needs a new captain and a more progressive script, it's boring. Voyager? besides 7 of 9 I couldn't keep my eyes open. Janeway's voice reminds me of a captive bee in a jar after you shake it.

Great Satan
2003-Sep-20, 02:39 AM
http://www.spinnoff.com/zbb/viewtopic.php?t=928&highlight=star+trek

TriangleMan
2003-Sep-20, 04:34 PM
For me it was a toss up between TNG and DS9 (I really liked B5 so not surprisingly DS9 was pretty good too). All things considered if there was a good DS9 episode on at the same time as a good TNG, I'd watch TNG.
Voyager I found pretty weak. TOS just cracks me up, my buddies and I would sometimes watch an epsiode just becasue we found them so amusing (Shatner overreacting, phazer-bait redshirts, syrofoam planets). However that doesn't make TOS my favourite.

Donnie B.
2003-Sep-20, 05:30 PM
TOS just cracks me up, my buddies and I would sometimes watch an epsiode just becasue we found them so amusing (Shatner overreacting, phazer-bait redshirts, syrofoam planets). However that doesn't make TOS my favourite.
You had to be there, TM. TOS was pretty awesome in 1967. :D

Glom
2003-Sep-20, 05:33 PM
Classic rules! It was incredibly camp and hence brilliant.

TriangleMan
2003-Sep-20, 06:01 PM
You had to be there, TM. TOS was pretty awesome in 1967. :D

I was there. (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5195&start=24)

( Actually, not entirely true. :^o Our local station didn't have it when it first came out, it wasn't until syndication that I saw it).

daver
2003-Sep-22, 10:39 PM
For me it was a toss up between TNG and DS9 (I really liked B5 so not surprisingly DS9 was pretty good too). All things considered if there was a good DS9 episode on at the same time as a good TNG, I'd watch TNG.
Voyager I found pretty weak. TOS just cracks me up, my buddies and I would sometimes watch an epsiode just becasue we found them so amusing (Shatner overreacting, phazer-bait redshirts, syrofoam planets). However that doesn't make TOS my favourite.

I saw TOS when i was young enough to enjoy it. It broke new ground for a TV series, although i didn't appreciate that at the time. TNG was ok at times--if it was on i would watch it. It wasn't particularly ground-breaking. DS9 started to really annoy me with the internal inconsistencies. V'ger annoyed me before it started with its cliche casting; the screaming idiocy of the first two episodes was enough to chase me away for a couple years; after that i'd stop while flipping channels until someone said something stupid (sometimes that would take a few sentences).

tuffel999
2003-Sep-22, 10:48 PM
I liked the moral grounds that were covered in DS9 I though it was a more complete series for it. It gave more realistic consequences to actions.

Sigma_Orionis
2003-Sep-22, 11:16 PM
My 2 cents:

TOS: it was absolutely great in the 60s, just consider what kind of Sci-Fi was on TV at the time. It looks like a Western-with-Phasers nowadays though (with some memorable exceptions)

TNG: Roddenberry shows that he learned from TOS and tried to make a less "Space Opera" show, I think he largely succeeded

DS9: Never liked it, too politically correct for me, I heard that after the third season it got interesting but by then I was too busy watching B5!

Voyager: Never liked it either, too much like DS9 and when they tried to show something else it looked clumsy

Enterprise: Brannon and Braga got so much flak with DS9 and Voyager that they tried to make a something closer to TOS, so far I am not sure whether I like it or not.

William_Thompson
2006-Jan-21, 09:22 PM
Q made the show.