PDA

View Full Version : Wide Milky Way from "Down Under"

ShevillWMathers
2007-Oct-09, 10:09 PM
Hi,

Just thought that the northern guys might like to see a Milky Way shot from Tasmania, taken from my front porch late May. Jupiter is the bright object under Antares.

Canon 350D (CentralsDS http://www.centralds.net/ Filter & Cooler Mod) cooler not used, fitted with a Nikkor 16mm f/2.8 lens, camera on static tripod 30 seconds at f/2.8 rated ISO 1600. Eyeball focus. Manual WB, simple process in PS [Levels].

This shot will appear in Astronomy 2008 Yearbook.

Clear skies...
Shevill

JAICOA
2007-Oct-09, 10:56 PM
Very Impressive photo of the Milky Way from the southern skies simply astonishing! and Congrats Shevill. Clear Skies

paul f. campbell
2007-Oct-09, 11:21 PM
Hi Shevill.
Super photo, to have the skies you do would be killer. Cool photo. clear skies paul

Bokmakierie
2007-Oct-10, 05:00 AM
Its been said that at Sutherland, where the South African Astronomical observatory is, it can become so dark that the Milky Way can actually provide enough light to cast a shadow! Unbelievable!!

Phil

RickJ
2007-Oct-10, 06:49 AM
Its been said that at Sutherland, where the South African Astronomical observatory is, it can become so dark that the Milky Way can actually provide enough light to cast a shadow! Unbelievable!!

Phil

The Nebraska Star Party which our club is a co-host, is held in the sand hills of northwestern Nebraska. The air is dry and the sand hills are covered in prairie grass so they give off little dust. This makes for many saying it has mag 7.5 skies. I can see only a bit past 6.8 myself but my eyes are in their 7th decade and not what they used to be.

Anyway we can easily see the shadow cast by the Milky way there and the brightest part is not very high up compared to your view. If you set a white card up looking toward the Milky Way you can see a very fuzzy shadow of your hand on it when blocking the light from our galaxy's disk.

Where I now live in northern Minnesota I have only magnitude 6.5 skies to my eyes and the core of the galaxy is much lower but I can still see a faint shadow from the Milky Way. Nothing like what you see from NSP however. I've heard the Texas Star Party has similar skies as NSP but with the core even higher you can see it a tad better.

But the best I've seen the Milky Way itself was from northern New Zealand where the core was directly overhead. Skies weren't as dark due to some light pollution but the shadow was still very visible with the brightest part directly overhead. It's really sad that so many live where they can hardly see a star let alone the Milky Way.

Rick

Whirlpool
2007-Oct-10, 01:50 PM
Very pretty !

I love sleeping at the roof with this view above me .

I love it!

Thanks for sharing .

;)

Palomar
2007-Oct-10, 04:14 PM
Jupiter is the bright object under Antares.

You really ARE "down under" because where I'm standing Jupiter is above Antares! ;)

Fantastic photo.

Torsten
2007-Oct-14, 04:58 PM
Nice one, Shevill. I like the composition that includes some foreground objects.