PDA

View Full Version : Moon/Lunar SAR receiving aperture is VLA on steroids

bradguth
2003-Jul-23, 01:56 AM
This is not so much of any conspiracy as it's another lunar/NASA fiasco for our not taking the fullest advantage of what can be accomplished for pennies on the dollar.
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/moon-sar.htm

The image magnification and/or resolution is straight forward a coefficient of distance between the radar transmitting source and of the SAR aperture receiving module; purely an equation of math.

Regarding that SAR moon thing, that's certainly not for that of our optically looking at any stinking clouds but, as for looking through such clouds at the soil and of fairly small rocks (actually 10 mm is easily within SAR capability). In reality, the only limitation upon the raw SAR resolution of the surface, as long as the receiving aperture were lunar, would become not likely lesser than 1/2 wavelength (1/4 wavelength is theoretically possible) of whatever radar frequency is applied.

Regards, Brad Guth / IEIS http://guthvenus.tripod.com

Jigsaw
2003-Jul-23, 02:42 AM
(just wanting to point out that Brad has also posted this topic in Against The Mainstream, where I think the bulk of the discussion will probably end up, as it's not really a Lunar Conspiracy...)

http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6977

BigJim
2003-Jul-23, 10:08 PM
I've just been pondering the title of the thread. I have no idea what he means.

JayUtah
2003-Jul-23, 11:01 PM
SAR = synthetic aperture radar
VLA = very large array

Don't worry; most people who read Guth can't understand what he's talking about. Trying to parse his word salads leaves a lot of people in the dust, reinforcing his inflated opinion of himself as a far-reaching thinker. Brad Guth is fundamentally a spam artist, except that he occasionally responds meaningfully to outside stimulus.

BigJim
2003-Jul-23, 11:13 PM
VLA = very large array

I knew that, but the phrase "VLA on steroids" makes little sense.

AGN Fuel
2003-Jul-23, 11:56 PM
VLA = very large array

Don't worry; most people who read Guth can't understand what he's talking about. Trying to parse his word salads leaves a lot of people in the dust, reinforcing his inflated opinion of himself as a far-reaching thinker. Brad Guth is fundamentally a spam artist, except that he occasionally responds meaningfully to outside stimulus.

Thanks for clarifying this Jay. I was trying to run through his argument as presented, but I lost the logic flow pretty close to the top! I'm glad that it isn't just me..... ](*,)

----------------------------

Musashi
2003-Jul-24, 12:10 AM
Don't worry; most people who read Guth can't understand what he's talking about. Trying to parse his word salads leaves a lot of people in the dust,

Thanks Jay! I thought maybe I was the only one who was having trouble getting any information out of his writing style.

Donnie B.
2003-Jul-24, 01:03 AM
The problem is, what he says (or at least what I think he says) makes no sense. He seems to be proposing a SAR that has its transmitter on the Earth and its receiver on the Moon, and then using that to image the Moon. That won't work, of course.

There's also a mention of Venus in the page, so maybe he's really trying to use his VLB-SAR to study Venus. But I doubt you'd be able to do that, either, except maybe occasionally when the alignment was right.

But I don't know the details of SAR operation. It's possible that it requires wavelength-accuracy control of the distance between the transmitter and receiver, as in VLBI. If so, that would be nearly impossible to get when one side is on the revolving Moon and the other on the rotating Earth!

Guth also can't resist a few snide digs at Apollo's defenders, trotting out the old, easily debunked claims about radiation and thermal conditions. Mr. Guth, I suggest you do a little more research before you try that nonsense here.

The Bad Astronomer
2003-Jul-25, 10:24 PM
Brad Guth is a known USENET and email troll. He is banned, and his threads locked.