PDA

View Full Version : Do celestial objects clump by size and distance?

DrdB
2007-Oct-13, 07:11 PM
Is there, by any chance, a tendency for large stars, galaxies or clusters to clump in particular size distributions? Or is the spread of masses pretty contiguous?

antoniseb
2007-Oct-13, 07:51 PM
Is there, by any chance, a tendency for large stars, galaxies or clusters to clump in particular size distributions? Or is the spread of masses pretty contiguous?
This is a completely different question than the original topic, so I am separating it from the original thread "Why do astronomers reject 72km/s redshift quantization"

The answer to your question is no, the don't clump by size and distance, though sometimes you'll find star clusters that have more massive stars than other clusters. This is, however, not the norm overall.

Noclevername
2007-Oct-13, 08:12 PM
As with planets, orbital "lanes" can be swept relatively clear of small bodies by more massive ones. But only relatively clear, there could still be quite a few.

DrdB
2007-Oct-13, 08:49 PM
This is a completely different question than the original topic, so I am separating it from the original thread "Why do astronomers reject 72km/s redshift quantization"

The answer to your question is no, the don't clump by size and distance, though sometimes you'll find star clusters that have more massive stars than other clusters. This is, however, not the norm overall.

It is related because there is a gravitational redshift dependent on mass

DrdB
2007-Oct-13, 08:50 PM
As with planets, orbital "lanes" can be swept relatively clear of small bodies by more massive ones. But only relatively clear, there could still be quite a few.

Not orbital lanes - clumps in mass size. Statistically significant over the range of galactic bodies.

antoniseb
2007-Oct-13, 08:53 PM
It is related because there is a gravitational redshift dependent on mass
Let's keep this discussion in the ATM section. I'm closing this thread, because the topic is really not mainstream. In the ATM section, you'll need to either answer the questions posed, or say you don't know the answer to the specific question.