PDA

View Full Version : Christmas book list request

eugenek
2007-Oct-15, 03:42 PM
I need a book list to submit to my wife for her Christmas shopping. In the past I've just noted interesting sounding books I see referenced in this forum and gave the list to my wife when it was time. However, I haven't been able to do that this year. So, I am hoping I could get some help here.

Generally, science fiction and fiction are my preferred book. Whether it's hard science fiction or fiction in a future world doesn't matter. I like end of the world or near end of the world books. This past year I read and enjoyed Lucifer's Hammer and Earth Abides. I also like meeting engagement books. For example, Footfall, Stanislaw Lem's Eden or Mote in God's Eye. Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained and Contact might fit in that category as well. I've read quite a bit of Asimov, Niven and H.G. Wells. The books don't necessarily have to be serious. I like all incarnations of Hitchhiker's Guide and enjoyed the Dirk Gently books. Space Operas are okay. I've been reading the Honor Harrington series but found some of the subplots a little boring. I often found myself skimming some of the political/personal bits in favor of the military strategy and engagement bits.

My favorite science fictiony movies are Contact, Bladerunner, Time Machine (1960), The Day the Earth Stood Still and Planet of the Apes (1968).

So, if I could just get a collection of some people's favorite books that they think I might enjoy, my wife and I would be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

hhEb09'1
2007-Oct-15, 04:13 PM
I notice that you didn't mention the Terry Pratchett novels, was that intentional?

PS: did you see the earlier discussion about the top 100 sf of all time list (http://www.bautforum.com/small-media-large/63864-best-science-fiction-novels.html)?

eugenek
2007-Oct-15, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the link! Yes, I did miss that one. Lately, I haven't had time to browse BAUT as much as I used to. I have now briefly gone through the thread and that looks like a great source of ideas, including the discussions on what books were left off the list. Thanks, again.

I don't think I've read Terry Pratchett. I do recognize the name. I'll have to look into his work.

hhEb09'1
2007-Oct-15, 06:31 PM
I don't think I've read Terry Pratchett. Funny stuff. Sorta parody, sorta fantasy, sorta no holds barred word play. Check out the wiki article on him.

CodeSlinger
2007-Oct-15, 06:53 PM
I saw the words "space opera" appear, so I would like to put in a vote for Dan Simmons' Hyperion series, which is space opera par excellence.

KaiYeves
2007-Oct-15, 10:12 PM
I only get three gifts a year, so I want the complete set of Cosmos DVD's, and an orange in my shoe, like in Greece. Not sure what the third thing will be.

Nick Theodorakis
2007-Oct-16, 02:40 PM
If you like Niven, there is another one of his collaborations out (not with Pournelle or Barnes this time) called Building Harlequin's Moon (Larry Niven and Brenda Cooper) that I enjoyed reading.

I'm also a big fan of John Varley; the last two I read were Mammoth and Red Thunder (the latter of which is not a "typical" Varley novel, but rather how Varley might write a Heinlein-esque space opera).

Nick

soylentgreen
2007-Oct-22, 01:01 AM
Might I suggest the quick read "If The Stars Are Gods"....currently it would make a great companion to a viewing of the film SUNSHINE.

Noclevername
2007-Oct-22, 01:48 AM
I'm an impulse buyer, just give me a gift card for Borders or Barnes & Noble and let me browse, and I'd be happy. :)