PDA

View Full Version : Big Telescopes & seeing the planets

Jack
2002-Mar-04, 10:19 PM
Surfing this forum, I cam across this page:
http://www.geocities.com/telescope1999/14-5inch.html

The guy has some cool links to websites on forcasting turbulence or "seeing" conditions. Poor seeing can screw up your views of the planets when using your telescope.

ljbrs
2002-Mar-04, 11:44 PM
Where I live, poor seeing is a way of life. Good seeing becomes a blessing. Then again, in my state we do not have massive earthquakes (only little hardly-noticeable tremors every 10 years or so) or volcanos. We seldom have hurricanes (only mild ones). There are no massive tornados (mostly, only little ones). Massive floods do not happen here (just little bittie ones occur where the basements take in a little water in those homes which are not on high ground). While we have ice and snow (we are a winter wonderland), we have few over 98 degree (Fahrenheit) days/nights. Our summers are very pleasant (we have the Great Lakes surrounding us and many little lakes -- all great for sailing and water sports). There are no mudslides for many, many miles.

Of course, we get a lot of cloudy days and nights and rainy days and nights. When we do have a good night for astronomy, we all giddily appreciate it (whooping and hollering all over the place). At the same time, if we want good viewing there are some very good sites within 60 miles. Where I live, it helps to have a strong interest in meteorology as well as in astronomy in order to enjoy all of the varied and interesting weather in my little part of the globe.

So, I am not going to complain. Where I live, things can get very interesting without being particularly dangerous. When there is a good night for telescopic viewing, astronomers around here are ecstatic and make much clamor with loud hooting and hollering. Folks in states with great viewing tend to be *ho, hum* about it all. Another good sky. Nice...

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

(I am always carelessly forgetting to use parentheses in sets of two, and need to come back regularly to edit my posts...)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ljbrs on 2002-03-04 18:50 ]</font>