PDA

View Full Version : Mars Rovers' Mission Extended Yet Again

Fraser
2007-Oct-16, 07:26 PM
NASA originally expected they'd only last a few months, but the plucky Martian rovers are still crawling across the surface of Mars - more than 3 years later. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/10/16/mars-rovers-mission-extended-yet-again/)

KaiYeves
2007-Oct-16, 10:03 PM
Go rovers, go rovers, it's your birthday! Party like it's your birthday!

Fortunate
2007-Oct-16, 11:49 PM
I remember the night Spirit landed on Mars. I n-e-v-e-r, well OK, almost never, watch TV, but that night I was glued to the television throughout the entire broadcast (I don't get NASA TV, but one of the cable stations had a nice live-from-JPL special). I sweated and then applauded each confirmation signal. I watched the cartoon of the bouncing balloon landing and saw the guy at JPL in the ridiculous American Flag shirt clapping and celebrating. I was so happy that Spirit had at least landed successfully. I remember deciding that I would be satisfied if one of the rovers could do a bit of solid work.

KaiYeves
2007-Oct-17, 12:47 AM
I remember how my dad called me down in the morning first thing. He told me that the airbags had inflated and turned on the news and we caught the first pictures. Only a few minutes on the news, but very nice. Viking made the cover of the New York Times, I hear.
If the MER's got on the cover of the Times, I'd run into that building and kiss the editor in chief on the lips.

John Mendenhall
2007-Oct-17, 02:02 PM
If the MER's got on the cover of the Times, I'd run into that building and kiss the editor in chief on the lips.

For Time Magazine, a new category. They can have 'Man of the Year' and 'Robot of the Year'.

Doodler
2007-Oct-17, 06:08 PM
More powerful than a toy locomotive, able to climb tall hills...in a few months.

Still, gotta love'em. I took a really wild bet that they'd still be going after two years. Getting three out of them was immensely impressive. Given what they've survived, I'll go for five years on them. ;)

KaiYeves
2007-Oct-19, 01:51 AM
For Time Magazine, a new category. They can have 'Man of the Year' and 'Robot of the Year'.
I'd kiss their editor, too. Especially 'cause they said Zahi Hawass and Neil Tyson are two of the most influential people in the world.

TuTone
2007-Oct-19, 01:57 AM
That's crazy...all those years on Mars the rovers only travelled 4 & 7 miles?

KaiYeves
2007-Oct-19, 10:12 PM
That's crazy...all those years on Mars the rovers only travelled 4 & 7 miles?
Turn yourself into a robot and try it, bub.

TuTone
2007-Oct-20, 01:48 AM
Turn yourself into a robot and try it, bub.

I don't get it -- I was shocked. I thought the rovers travelled much more of a distance than that. I knew they travelled slow, but didn't think that slow.

JonClarke
2007-Oct-20, 02:06 AM
I don't get it -- I was shocked. I thought the rovers travelled much more of a distance than that. I knew they travelled slow, but didn't think that slow.

They have averaged a fraction over 7 m per day between them.

Jon

Fortunate
2007-Oct-20, 02:18 AM

They spend most of their time using their scientific instruments and cameras on specific rock and soil targets. They sometimes stay in a circumsribed area for months at a time. I believe that Opportunity, for instance, spent about a year exploring the rim of Victoria crater before actually entering. Even as they drive from one location to another somewhat distant one, they are forever stopping for days at a time to inspect objects of interest.