PDA

View Full Version : zombie crabs

phaishazamkhan
2007-Oct-17, 03:09 AM
oh hay
A piece of information has been kicking around in my head for the past couple of years and my attempts at verifying if it's a weird bit of cryptomnesia or false memory.
There was an article at CNN's website about a fungus that infects crabs and turns them into zombies that continue to scuttle around and feed on things for the sake of the fungus. I'm pretty certain it was CNN not some crank website.

phaishazamkhan
2007-Oct-17, 03:16 AM
oh never mind, i look again and this time i DONT get links about half-life
http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=53
lockdown plox

Stregone
2007-Oct-17, 03:29 AM
Thats crazy.

First thing I thought about was Half-Life :)

Maksutov
2007-Oct-17, 07:48 AM
Thats crazy.

First thing I thought about was Half-Life :)Funny, first thing I thought was it was about zombies who don't take certain precautions re toilets, etc.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif

Noclevername
2007-Oct-17, 10:13 PM
Mmmm, zombie crab...

Instead of "BRAIIINS", this crab says "EEEEGGS!"

Captain Kidd
2007-Oct-17, 10:25 PM
Note to self, don't tell the wife. She's got a phobia about zombies. Just me walking slow in the dark is enough to wig her out bad. It's fun to watch her play Zelda when she has to deal with the ... whatever the Zelda zombies are called.

She'll never go to the beach again if she reads about this.

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Oct-17, 10:28 PM
Just imagine how different the Deadilest Catch would be.

Noclevername
2007-Oct-18, 12:31 AM
This phenomenon has been known to happen in humans, too. Just look at the little old lady with 36 cats that she calls her "babies"... (There's one in every neighborhood.)

KaiYeves
2007-Oct-18, 12:39 AM
I thought this thread was about those Japanese "Ghost Crabs" with the samarai faces on their shells.
"Ewww! Creepy thing! Throw it back!"
Ah, evolution.

Ronald Brak
2007-Oct-18, 10:52 AM
Is now a good time to mention the parasite that eats a fish's tongue and replaces it with its own body so there is a tongue creature with eyes in the fish's mouth eating the fish's food as the fish eats?

R.A.F.
2007-Oct-18, 11:33 AM
Note to self, don't tell the wife. She's got a phobia about zombies. Just me walking slow in the dark is enough to wig her out bad.

On a "somewhat" related note, I do a "crab dance" to entertain the wife, but the less spoken about that the better. :)

Noclevername
2007-Oct-18, 01:44 PM
On a "somewhat" related note, I do a "crab dance" to entertain the wife, but the less spoken about that the better. :)

Too late, you spoke it.

Swift
2007-Oct-18, 01:50 PM
I, for one, welcome our new Zombie masters.

phaishazamkhan
2007-Oct-18, 05:57 PM
This phenomenon has been known to happen in humans, too. Just look at the little old lady with 36 cats that she calls her "babies"... (There's one in every neighborhood.)

Toxoplasmosis isn't THAT bad. I find it very comforting that my cat loves me so much that she wants to ensure that we love each other for a very, very long time. Pardon me, I have to feed her.

BigDon
2007-Oct-18, 11:41 PM
Actually, its not a fungus, its a parasitic barnicle, Sacculina granifera.

BigDon
2007-Oct-18, 11:42 PM
which are also crabs, oddly enough.

KaiYeves
2007-Oct-19, 09:43 PM
Oh, no! The zombies are back!

Noclevername
2007-Oct-19, 10:34 PM
The zombies are back!

(singing) And you're gonna be in trouble...