PDA

View Full Version : Trains win every time.

NEOWatcher
2007-Oct-17, 03:57 PM
I know we ran into (pun?) stories like this before, but I really can't find them anywhere in a good context.

Anyway...
Omg u crshd n2 a train! (http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=76274)

Authorities say Gillespie told them when he looked up and saw the train, it was too close for him to stop.
I am assuming he hit the side of the train, especially since drinking was involved.

And then theres this one that's all over [the place] right now.
Police officer saves woman from oncoming train (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341009/)
Officer describes train rescue (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2007/10/17/roberts.train.rescue.cnn)
They are touting it as heroism. Yes; I applaud his action, but was there really a big risk to the Cop? From the video, it looks like there was plenty of time, and they even didn't look like they are in any hurry. (which they extol as "calm")
I really think it is a cop out (pun) by the news media, because it is an interesting situation, and any other take on the story will end up offending the lady making her sound like an idiot. (which she was, in my opinion)

Doodler
2007-Oct-17, 06:49 PM
Any chance to blow sunshine up the butt of someone in uniform.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Oct-17, 06:55 PM
And then theres this one that's all over [the place] right now.
Police officer saves woman from oncoming train (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21341009/)
Officer describes train rescue (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2007/10/17/roberts.train.rescue.cnn)
... the lady making her sound like an idiot. (which she was, in my opinion)

In the video she looked drunk to me - before the train hit her car.

NEOWatcher
2007-Oct-17, 07:18 PM
In the video she looked drunk to me - before the train hit her car.
I saw that too, but I chalked it up to rough terrain. Especially since the officer spoke of reasons why she made the mistake and didn't mention possible alcohol involved.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Oct-17, 07:24 PM
I saw that too, but I chalked it up to rough terrain. Especially since the officer spoke of reasons why she made the mistake and didn't mention possible alcohol involved.

You're right. Better to give someone the benefit of the doubt. Looks can be deceiving.

NEOWatcher
2007-Nov-09, 07:04 PM
Deja vu all over again...
Couple rescues driver from railroad tracks (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21705889/)

The 63-year-old driver apparently mistook the Long Island Rail Road tracks for a road Thursday evening, authorities said.
"She was a little mad we didn't get her pocketbook, but you know, that's life," Randi LoCicero said. The driver wasn't identified.

I guess if you can mistake tracks, then a ditch is even easier to drive into.
Construction Ditch Causes Several Accidents Near Diner (http://www.newsnet5.com/news/14542739/detail.html)

Six people over the past two months have driven their cars into the same ditch, all thinking it was the original driveway

Wouldn't you start to question the visibility of it after the first one?

NEOWatcher
2007-Dec-20, 08:00 PM
I'm sure this whole story is/will be discussed elsewhere on the board, and should be. I'm only posting it here for the one aspect of the story.

Mother Of Space Station Astronaut Killed (http://www.local6.com/news/14894525/detail.html)

Tani's mother was stopped behind a school bus at a railroad crossing and the gates apparently did not come down, WLS-TV, an ABC Network News affiliate reported.

She apparently went around the school bus and was hit by the train, then was taken to a nearby hospital and was pronounced dead, the TV station said.

There just sounds like some bad judgement made in there somewhere.

Doodler
2007-Dec-20, 08:44 PM
There just sounds like some bad judgement made in there somewhere.

Starting with turning 90 and not turning in the keys...

We condition old people to think the world revolves around them, and they're dangerous enough as pedestrians.

I remember damned near killing two old women who jaywalked in front of me holding their hand up to stop traffic because that's where they wanted to cross. I locked up on them just to be a bugger for their stupidity.

Bessler007
2007-Dec-21, 05:27 PM
There are medical conditions that give the appearance of drunkenness so lacking a blood sample or some other evidence it's impossible to tell.

I'd like to make a point about drinking and driving and some consequences I don't think too many people are aware of. You might know about how many lives are lost by this habit. It sounds sad and most have empathy but it's easy to forget unless it's someone you love or personally know. For instance if I told you a good friend of mine killed himself with alcohol poisoning you might have a little empathy right now but a year from now it would be just another fact you may or may not recall. Not much permanent impact on you.

Here is the point: Where I'm at, state licensing boards can deny or revoke your license if you have a DWI conviction on your record. I'm not talking about your drivers license. You might loose that also. Suppose you are a CPA. You will loose your certification. You will loose your ability to get a job as an accountant. That's not the Ĺ of it. You will have ****ed off your degree, what ever that cost. You will have squandered all the effort you made to pass a test you probably couldn't pass again (Can't Pass Again). lol.

That is just a part of the consequences. You will be fined. You might go to jail. You will pay lawyers. All of that has the potential to run into tens of thousands of dollars. Your life will be ruined. You will be taught a lesson. Loosing that license will follow you and haunt you no matter where you go.

There have been cases where people have lied on their applications about dwi's and have had a marvelous career up to the moment they were getting ready to retire. Companies are starting to do background checks on people at that point in their career. They have been discharged with cause. They have lost any retirement they hoped to have.

I'm not interested in discussing the idea of double jeopardy. I just wanted to make the point that a cheap shot of your favorite poison might not be nearly as cheap as you might think.

Cheers.

tdvance
2007-Dec-26, 04:14 PM
Your life will be ruined.

hmmm...that could drive a guy to drink....

Bessler007
2007-Dec-28, 12:00 AM
tdvance,

Drinking won't cause the train wreck but drinking and driving could derail your life where I'm at. I thought it was interesting and I didn't think too many people knew about it.

I do see the humor.

NEOWatcher
2008-Jan-04, 03:45 PM
Deja Vu.

Man using GPS drives into path of train (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22493399/)

The driver had turned right, as the system advised, and the car somehow got stuck on the tracks at the crossing

I wonder if he had his rating for IFR, or he was still required to use VFR.

Why look? Technology is always right.

Swift
2008-Jan-04, 06:11 PM
I had a friend in high school, well before GPS, that was like that. He'd be driving, I'd be navigating, and I'd say "make a right". He would literally make a right at that moment, into someone's driveway or on to the lawn. I had to remember to say "at the next street, make a right". :doh:

Doodler
2008-Jan-04, 06:17 PM
Deja Vu.

Man using GPS drives into path of train (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22493399/)

I wonder if he had his rating for IFR, or he was still required to use VFR.

Why look? Technology is always right.

Score one more for a brighter humanity.

NEOWatcher
2008-Jan-04, 06:21 PM
...He would literally make a right at that moment, into someone's driveway or on to the lawn...
We did that too (on occasion), but it was always well understood that it was a joke. (it also helped us hone our skills for road rallys)

JohnD
2008-Jan-04, 06:25 PM
The stories are so similar (GPS onto railway line) that one might suspect urban myth, but this is BBC reporting!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/6646331.stm

The silly girl opened one crossing gate, drove through and then noticed another gate. She was lucky to be opening that when the train came along.

Darwin fame would beckon, but she was unharmed!
JOhn

Doodler
2008-Jan-04, 06:30 PM
The stories are so similar (GPS onto railway line) that one might suspect urban myth, but this is BBC reporting!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/6646331.stm

The silly girl opened one crossing gate, drove through and then noticed another gate. She was lucky to be opening that when the train came along.

Darwin fame would beckon, but she was unharmed!
JOhn

There oughta be a law that would allow the officers responding to throw her on the tracks and let the train have another go at her.

NEOWatcher
2008-Jan-04, 06:46 PM
The stories are so similar (GPS onto railway line) that one might suspect urban myth, but this is BBC reporting!...
Well; not quite.
The first one, the guy actually turned onto the tracks.

The other one, was just a crossing, and she probably would have been in the exact same situation without the GPS. Even if she picked the shorter route from a map, she would have ended up in the same situation.

To me, it sounds like some really strange crossing.

Why didn't she open both gates first, or took a closer look as to why they were there, or why she didn't notice steel things running across the road and into the dark.
And what about this "is the light green" sign. What light? did she see one?
No; relying on the satnav was the smallest part of the story IMO. It fits better in the Not my fault thread.

farmerjumperdon
2008-Jan-04, 06:58 PM
My dad was an engineer for the Rock Island; one of the last 4 line employees before they shut down for good. Hitting cars was fairly regular for them - or at least not as rare as you'd think it should be. I believe he hit a couple dozen or so in his carreer.

So with our immediate family and 8 pairs of aunts/uncles all living in the same community, and the humongous number of crossings in Chicago's South Side and 1st ring suburbs, it was just a matter of time before he hit a relative.

So he comes home from work one day and just nonchalantly mentions that he nailed Aunt Violet with the Morning Commuter Express at the 143rd Street crossing. Luckily she survived.

Everyone should know better, but growing up in that area people just get complacent because errant gates, long delays, and the sheer volume of crossings desensitizes people. If you grow up there running gates is just part of driving. You just need to be very sure of what you are about to do. The most dangerous is blindly following someone else or going around someone blocking your vision. Also, many people were hit by jumping the gun immediately after a train passes; seeing too late that another was coming from the other way.

NEOWatcher
2008-Jan-04, 07:11 PM
... Hitting cars was fairly regular for them - or at least not as rare as you'd think it should be. I believe he hit a couple dozen or so in his carreer...
I can understand that, but how many knew it was a railroad and ignored the risk vs how many didn't even know. Not to mention, how many actually turned onto the tracks.

Edit: And how many denied it was their fault and blamed some other reason?

HenrikOlsen
2008-Jan-04, 07:37 PM
In Denmark there's recently been several cases of people going the wrong way on a highway.

One explanation for the phenomenon is a confirmed bug in some GPS systems where they actually tell people to go that way, ie. take the offramp onto the highway.
Combine that with bad lighting and an exhausted driver who hadn't been that way before and is depending on his GPS to get him there, and you have a recipe for a bad accident.

NEOWatcher
2008-Jan-04, 07:50 PM
One explanation for the phenomenon is a confirmed bug in some GPS systems where they actually tell people to go that way, ie. take the offramp onto the highway.
See; that's what worries me. So what if it's a bug? Relying on something like that is completely absurd. Road signs and markings should always be the primary source of information. It's the only thing that is up to date AND LEGAL.
The systems are accurate, but how does anyone trust that the map is accurate?

farmerjumperdon
2008-Jan-04, 08:00 PM
I can understand that, but how many knew it was a railroad and ignored the risk vs how many didn't even know. Not to mention, how many actually turned onto the tracks.

Edit: And how many denied it was their fault and blamed some other reason?

They all knew. Like I said, very routine there. They were just people in a hurry and not practicing safe run-the-gates tactics.

Spacebubby
2008-Jan-04, 08:01 PM
I probably shouldn't admit this, but I reversed up the on-ramp to the Sydney Harbour Bridge (south-bound) many years ago at about midnight, because I'd missed the turn-off I was supposed to take and had no idea where I had to go if I went across the bridge. In my defense, it was before either my husband or I had a mobile phone, it was really late at night and there was next to no traffic, I had my hazard lights on, I had no money for the toll and I'd already been driving around North Sydney for over an hour trying to find this mysterious street that was in the street directory, but that I couldn't find in reality. It was the most terrifying night of my life and if my husband hadn't been absolutely paralytic from the Christmas party I was collecting him from, I certainly wouldn't have driven home and I've never driven to North Sydney since.

NEOWatcher
2008-Jan-04, 08:09 PM
I probably shouldn't admit this...
But; you knew exactly what situation you were in, you took the time to take extra precautions, and, although you have an excuse for the situation you were in, you are not making an excuse for doing what you did.
And; based on that, it sounds like that you would have admitted it was wrong, if something went wrong.

In other words, you weren't oblivious to the whole thing and blame the transporation department for not letting you know you weren't where you shouldn't be.

Spacebubby
2008-Jan-04, 08:22 PM
That is true Neowatcher, I was not oblivious to the danger I that I was in and was creating.

Having said that, I still recognise that it was a stooooooopid thing to have done.

In Australia, we have heaps of level crossings (used and old - usually with nothing to distinguish one from the other) with some of them being in the middle of busy towns/suburbs where people try to cross the tracks even though the gates have come down, there are red flashing lights telling you that a train is coming, and there's a big bell ringing in their ears! They still go! Anything to save a few seconds off their journey time.

man on the moon
2008-Jan-05, 05:25 AM
Wow...yeah. Too many stories dependant on GPS. I think people take them too literally without understanding their shortcomings. Using one should be part of driver's ed and passing a written test part of renewing a lisence.

I once decided to hike cross country using my GPS and a compass. I set the waymarks for leaving one trail and rejoining the other. I was familiar with the area but had never been off trail. The total distance was ~1 mile I would travel, but the farther I went the more I kept thinking "I'm off, and I'm going farther". I was in the middle of the woods, but eventually I turned it off and trusted my gut. I came out about 300 feet from my destination. When I turned the GPS back on, it said I was 3/10 mile (1600 feet) off.

The punchline is that when I got home, I realized I had saved the wrong waypoint to start with...d'oh. Still, I knew the shortcomings of my device. I would have been fine if I'd followed it, but it made me wonder about someone not paying attention and driving.

It is too bad stories like these have to happen. Not that I'm mistake free (I've nearly mistaken railways and ditches for roads before too), but it seems like "when it says 'turn' it means 'turn at the corner, it's warning you'..."

---
Oh, before I forget:

Fact: Michael once drove a rental car into a lake because the GPS said "turn right here"

Fact: Dwight tried to correct him, but they lost the car anyway. (from The Office. I guess tv is true sometimes :()

NEOWatcher
2008-Jan-07, 02:00 PM
Wow...yeah. Too many stories dependant on GPS. I think people take them too literally without understanding their shortcomings. Using one should be part of driver's ed and passing a written test part of renewing a lisence.
Being able to ignore one, and interpret your surroundings should be the test.

man on the moon
2008-Jan-07, 02:12 PM
Being able to ignore one, and interpret your surroundings should be the test.

Ooh, I like that even better!

tdvance
2008-Jan-07, 02:52 PM
I drove back to my parents' house in WV from Bowie using a Garmin Nuvi--when I got to the new section of the under-construction US 48/WV 55 through Hardy County, the Garmin showed me driving between roads and every time I passed a side road, the Garmin would tell me to turn onto that road to return to WV 55 (now, Old WV 55). Of course, I disobeyed the rather insistent voice.

According to the local Moorefield paper, though, several tractor trailer drivers over several weeks failed to disobey their GPS navigators and got their trucks stuck on roads not fit for tractor trailers. The first line of the story was something like, "If you need directions, ask a local; don't use GPS." Hardy County residents are (99.9% of the time) friendly enough that this is good advice in that area.

NEOWatcher
2008-Jan-07, 03:21 PM
I drove back to my parents' house in WV from Bowie using a Garmin Nuvi--...
Good example...
Although it took me a second or two to realize why driving in a German Car was relevent. :sick: (I think I need to read slower)

farmerjumperdon
2008-Jan-07, 07:19 PM
Ooh, I like that even better!

Reminds me of the best line I've ever heard regarding GPS. It was a comedian I think, spoofing reliance on them. The driver missed the turn and the unit, in a comicly machine voice simulation dutifully and politely informed him that his destination was 25,000 miles straight ahead.

Swift
2008-Jan-07, 10:33 PM
GPS is a tool, like fire or a knife. You can use it well or you can use it badly. Some people cook a steak and cut it up, others burn down the house and slice up their hand. I love my GPS unit and, so far, have not killed anyone.

NEOWatcher
2008-Jan-30, 04:00 PM
Here we go again.
Good Samaritan pulls man from train tracks minutes before fiery collision (http://www.wkyc.com/news/national/news_article.aspx?storyid=82328)

Investigators say 72-year-old Franciszek Chudzik accidentally turned onto the tracks thinking it was a road.
Alcohol involved...

With video link of the collision.

boppa
2008-Jan-30, 11:04 PM
My mum got a Tomtom for crissy as a present and on her first trip with it up to her work(about 140km each way) it was going absolutely bonkers, saying she was speeding and she had to turn right immediately

She was on a new stretch of freeway that was opened just before Christmas with a 110 kmh speed limit that bypasses a town with 60 and 80 kmh limits

The gps was showing her barrelling through a field at 110 past a speed camera and didn't know what to make of it.

Its a shame that she now basically leaves the gps unit off on that trip as for about 15-20 km it constantly sounds alerts alerts and judging by how often whereis updates the maps here in Australia, it probably will still not be updated by the time she retires in less than a year. Shame as its exceed speed limit feature is one of its best points as these days you can lose your lisc quite quickly here in n.s.w. for inadvertantly exceeding the limit a couple of times.

sarongsong
2008-Feb-04, 09:52 PM
More videos on the way!
January 28, 2008
Union Pacific this year plans to install more than 1,600 Track Image Recorders (TIRs) aboard locomotive cabs to digitally record a view of the track, crossings and signals directly in front of a train as it travels over the rails...
Union Pacific Railroad (http://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/releases/safety/2008/0128_tir.shtml)

NEOWatcher
2008-Mar-14, 04:54 PM
Two more local ones...
Mom In Court After Child Injured On Train Tracks (http://www.newsnet5.com/news/15574875/detail.html)

Debra Thomas' daughter spent days in the hospital after the car they were in was hit by a speeding train. Police said Thomas ignored the warning and drove around the gates, putting her daughter in danger.

While an officer watched... Ok, this is a case of two trains, but lights and gates?
But, but, but, the first car made it.

And this on... the train doesn't even have to be moving.
Woman Killed After Hitting Stopped Train (http://www.newsnet5.com/news/15588680/detail.html)
I also heard on the radio that the crossing lights were working.

Not exactly a blind crossing according to the associated pic.

mugaliens
2008-Mar-15, 10:29 AM
"Confused, and perhaps distracted while trying to get directions from her friend on her cell phone, DeVall pulled onto a set of railroad tracks, unaware that an Amtrak passenger train on its way from New..."

It doesn't matter whether she was unaware of Amtrak's schedule. How couldn't she have been unaware that she was on a set of railroad tracks?

That's sort of the same league as in, "I wasn't aware I was on the runway of an international airport."

Donnie B.
2008-Mar-15, 05:46 PM
There were three separate fatal train-pedestrian accidents in the last two days in this area. Two of them involved high-speed Acela trains on the NYC-Boston route.

In one case, the train hit a group of track inspectors near Providence. One killed, two injured. Apparently they were in a blind area and didn't hear it coming.

The second incident (in Connecticut) injured a woman and killed her dog. She said she did hear the train coming but thought it was on a different track.

I haven't heard the details of the third incident.

mugaliens
2008-Mar-16, 03:27 PM
Uh, where is the common sense on the way?

Uh, experiece, anyone?

Gosh, what's not getting us killed?

Evolution?

I am very respectful of those who have lost their loved ones. And please, trust me - I've come closer on more than one occasion.

But hey... evolution is a journey.

geonuc
2008-Mar-17, 12:21 AM
"Confused, and perhaps distracted while trying to get directions from her friend on her cell phone, DeVall pulled onto a set of railroad tracks, unaware that an Amtrak passenger train on its way from New..."

Maybe you didn't quote enough of the original report, but what you have here doesn't suggest anything about her not knowing Amtrak's schedule.

closetgeek
2008-Mar-17, 06:31 PM
You know what I can't understand is when pedestrians get hit by trains. I have heard, many times over, that when you are on the tracks, you can't hear the train. I grew up three houses down from the RR tracks that intersected our street. Against my mothers rule, we used the tracks as a short cut to the local convenience store and not once did a train ever "sneak up" on me. I am not bashing people that have been injured or killed in this way, just baffled at how it can happen. How do you not hear the most common used referrence to loud noises, coming?

farmerjumperdon
2008-Mar-17, 06:54 PM
Good question. I could understand not hearing a relatively quiet high speed electric, but a good old fashioned diesel powered locomotive? How do you not hear that?

I grew up around trains, lived 3 houses down from one of the biggest yards in Chicago for a while. Dad was a Rock Island engineer so I spent a good amount of time in the roundhouse, in cabooses, locomotive cabs, etc.

One possibility is maybe getting hit by one of the passenger trains that is being pushed by the locomotive instead of being pulled.

Noclevername
2008-Mar-17, 07:21 PM
Earphones. Maybe they're listening to music and it drowns out the train sound.
High winds or highway traffic could also cover the noise until it's too late.

Donnie B.
2008-Mar-17, 09:00 PM
Supersonic trains? ;)

Seriously, though... if the environment is otherwise noisy (right beside a major highway, nearby construction, etc.) the engine could get pretty close before it becomes clearly identifiable. In some cases that might be too late.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Mar-18, 02:12 AM
And there's still the distinctive singing tracks to warn you long before you can hear the engine.
Basically it's people raising the average of the species.

closetgeek
2008-Mar-18, 01:36 PM
Agreed Henrik, the ground also vibrates. Blasting headphones while walking on RR tracks really should qualify you for the Darwin awards, maybe second place. Mine was a relatively quiet neighborhood, barring the occassional train, so traffic wouldn't play a major roll in drowing out, so I guess that is a good point. Still, there are distinct warnings of an approaching train.

Farmer, I have to ask. When you were a kid and friends slept over, did they have a hard time sleeping through the passing trains? That was a major complaint at my house, but I find the sound of a train horn to be a sound of home. I always long to be back on my old street. I live no where near tracks now and honestly miss the sound...

NEOWatcher
2008-May-29, 03:46 PM
Video:Girls maimed by train (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/05/29/pkg.me.girls.hit.by.train.wcsh)

Two girls who apparently fell asleep on railroad tracks while sunbathing were hit by a freight train.

mugaliens
2008-May-29, 06:49 PM
My Garmin Nuvi isn't the most accurate device, either, and occasionally gives me directions which are completely out to lunch.

Fortunately, somewhere in the last 20 years I learned to read a map, as well as to ignore my Garmin when it's out to lunch.

mugaliens
2008-May-29, 07:18 PM
Video:Girls maimed by train (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/05/29/pkg.me.girls.hit.by.train.wcsh)

What moron sunbaths on train tracks? I hope they're not suing the company for damages, as that would be as idiotic as jumping off a cliff then suing Isaac Newton for "inventing" the law of gravity. If they are suing the company, they should be counter-sued for their stupidity and for causing what can only be a lot of grief for the train's conductor.

There's a reason the Darwin Awards exist - people do dumb things which shortens their lifespans.

Hopefully before they're able to add to the gene pool.

Larry Jacks
2008-May-29, 07:22 PM
Kids sometimes do very stupid things. These girls were around 13/14 years old. That's not an especially bright age for many kids. They're fortunate to be alive. I've read of other kids losing limbs or worse after trying to hop a train. Stupid.

Swift
2008-May-29, 08:01 PM
Kids sometimes do very stupid things. These girls were around 13/14 years old. That's not an especially bright age for many kids. They're fortunate to be alive. I've read of other kids losing limbs or worse after trying to hop a train. Stupid.
According to what I read, one lost a foot, the other a leg below the knee. They are both very lucky to get away with only that.

Fazor
2008-May-29, 08:07 PM
According to what I read, one lost a foot, the other a leg below the knee. They are both very lucky to get away with only that.

From the article I read, it sounds like one had a broken rib and serious head trauma aswell. But it sounded like both will live.

Trains can be quite tricky...you never know exactly what dirrection they're going to dart towards next...

tdvance
2008-May-29, 09:15 PM

At the age of 13, I was afraid of train tracks, enough that I'd look both ways, THEN cross carefully so as not to get a shoe caught, but without wasting time either--would never stand on the tracks for any length of time. Around 15 or so I recall crossing a train bridge--and I wouldn't have done that were there not platforms every few feet to get off on while a train passes.

But, it could be their parents didn't teach them to be safe with trains, plains, and automobiles, and they literally didn't think ahead. Even so, you'd think by the age of 13 you'd be smarter than that!

Actually, humans are rationalizing beings, and it's worse at 13 than at an adult age where the tendency is tempered by experience. I could see them rationalizing--"when the train comes, we'll hear it and get up"--but a few years more experience with sleeping through alarms, etc. would have disabused them of that notion.

Larry Jacks
2008-May-29, 09:47 PM
The video news report mentioned that investigators are examining the train's data recorder to determine how fast it was going, whether it blew it's horn, etc. Reportedly, the speed limit for that stretch of track is only 15 MPH. How much time was available for the engineer or conductor to see the girls, blow the horn, and attempt to stop. If they were on a blind curve, there may not have been much time at all to do anything even if the train was doing the posted speed. Even going that slow, it can take a considerable distance to stop a train.

While I feel a measure of sympathy for the girls for the injury they suffered, I feel more sorry for the conductor. Even though it wasn't his fault, I'm sure he feels terrible about the accident.

Nicolas
2008-May-30, 08:27 AM
Trains do win all the time:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Kalitta-Air/Boeing-747-209F-SCD/1357525/L/&tbl=photo_info&photo_nr=5&prev_id=1357526&next_id=1357524

This happened at Zaventem national airport last week...

No serious injuries, no fatalities.

(the train was not involved in any way, but the contrast is nice)

NEOWatcher
2008-May-30, 01:02 PM
Trains do win all the time:
This happened at Zaventem national airport last week...
I'm not sure about that. According to this story (http://www.tolerance.ca/Article.aspx?ID=13635&L=FR), the trains lost.

Officials said the crash had not significantly affected air traffic, but the rail link between the airport and the centre of the Belgian capital had been suspended as the line ran close to the scene of the crash.

A bit off topic from the thread, but from the article...

"The five-strong crew were all Americans, "
I am assuming this is just some local flavor of indicating a count rather than saying the crew were all the big burly husky type.

"Imagine if it had been an aircraft full of passengers!"
If it were, then it wouldn't have taken off from that runway.

Nicolas
2008-May-30, 01:38 PM
I don't know whether passenger 747's use that runway or not.

Trains had more problems with the crash that airlines indeed. Well, except for the 747 that crashed of course :).

Local residents have long campaigned to have this particular runway shut down, and said the crash was entirely predictable.

....afterwards. Of course they started shouting already before any information on the crash was available. It turns out that most likely an engine failure is the cause of the crash. Nobody injured, nothing damaged. So they're complaining because...?

This was very close to a catastrophe," said Frederic Petit of the local residents' association. "Imagine if it had been an aircraft full of passengers!"
So now they're suddenly worried about the people on board? how strange, all these years they were only worried about the noise above their heads...

"Since 2004, freight planes have been using this runway on Saturdays and Sundays, yet it is 1,000 metres (yards) shorter than the others," he added.
The length of the other runways is totally irrelevant, if this runway is long enough.

"The politicians can no longer beat about the bush, this runway must immediately be closed to the heaviest carriers," said the Mayor of neighbouring Wezembeek-Oppem, Francois Van Hoobrouck.
Ah, how convenient that a mayor knows better than the international air travel authorities. Elections coming up?

Sorry, this didn't really relate to the thread but the non-arguments of these action groups make me a bit tired...

NEOWatcher
2008-May-30, 02:12 PM
...The length of the other runways is totally irrelevant, if this runway is long enough...
I see you added to the post. This was the very question I was searching for. (and yes, in this case a BOOM during take-off trumps runway length)
The runway in question is 9800ft. (per wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brussels_Airport))
A fully (max) loaded 747 will need (up to) 10,000 ft. (per yahoo answers (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006040810815))
So; the question could actually be there. There's room, but not a lot of leeway.

Judging from the layout of the airport, I would think it would be most dangerous because of cross traffic.

I was also wondering about that comment about Cargo planes on the weekends. It would have been nice for the reporter to mention why that was relevant.

Sorry, this didn't really relate to the thread but the non-arguments of these action groups make me a bit tired...
I share the feeling... While seeing various stories on this, it's frustrating to see all the "different" facts.

mugaliens
2008-May-30, 07:35 PM
You know what I can't understand is when pedestrians get hit by trains. I have heard, many times over, that when you are on the tracks, you can't hear the train. I grew up three houses down from the RR tracks that intersected our street. Against my mothers rule, we used the tracks as a short cut to the local convenience store and not once did a train ever "sneak up" on me. I am not bashing people that have been injured or killed in this way, just baffled at how it can happen. How do you not hear the most common used referrence to loud noises, coming?

Well, to reverse myself from my previous Darwin Award statistic...

I was crossing the railroad tracks in the Pacific Northwest, near Doug's Beach on the Hood River. With me were my brother and my parents. On foot. I was tail end charlie, and after I crossed the tracks, I stopped, taking in the view.

Along that part of the tracks, there's a downslope, and trains go awful fast (between 70 and 90 mph). This one was just coasting.

The first indication I had that it was coming was my brother grabbing the front of my shirt and pulling. Hard. He was a highly competant windsurfer at the time, and if you know anything about windsurfing, those who do it a lot (and he did) generally develop a grip of steel and an arm pull strength capable of ripping steel girders apart.

I went flying.

As I was flying through the air, I heard it and saw the train in my peripheral vision. It was less than half a second away.

I don't know that it would have hit me, but I was awfully close to the tracks, so it might have. If it had, it probably would have killed me, or at least done grave injury.

I'm just glad that my brother didn't like the margin for error and acted so quickly.

To answer your question, the reason I didn't hear it until the very last second was that it was going downhill, coasting mostly, and it's engines weren't chung-chung-chunging along.

Also, it wasn't at a road crossing, so the engineer never blew the horn, although he should have, given the fact that there are always a lot of people around that area. Any engineer worth his salt should know his route and would blow his horn when approaching a spot that's teaming with people every single day.

Demigrog
2008-May-30, 07:45 PM
While I feel a measure of sympathy for the girls for the injury they suffered, I feel more sorry for the conductor. Even though it wasn't his fault, I'm sure he feels terrible about the accident.

I have a good friend who works for a railroad, and has hit and killed several people in his career. Each time there was nothing he could do about it--trains are simply too heavy to stop, sometimes even with a mile's warning. He came close to quitting at one point, but with a lot of counseling came through it, and now volunteers to do railroad crossing safety sessions wherever he can. Most accidents seem to involve alcohol, but it still amazes me how many people are stupid enough to walk along tracks, even cross bridges--sometimes while wearing headphones.

NEOWatcher
2008-Aug-11, 04:09 PM
Another case of getting yourself in a position where there's no where to go...
Man Killed When Struck, Dragged By Train On Bridge (http://www.newsnet5.com/news/17154902/detail.html)

Here's the kicker.

Three people from the group jumped into the river below. They later told authorities that the victim remained on the bridge because he was afraid of the long drop.

Donnie B.
2008-Aug-12, 05:45 PM
Another case of getting yourself in a position where there's no where to go...
Man Killed When Struck, Dragged By Train On Bridge (http://www.newsnet5.com/news/17154902/detail.html)

Here's the kicker.

Three people from the group jumped into the river below. They later told authorities that the victim remained on the bridge because he was afraid of the long drop.

"Can't swim?!? Hell, the fall'll probably kill ya!"

sarongsong
2008-Sep-13, 05:09 AM
Train-on-train... :(
September 12, 2008
A Metrolink train and a Union Pacific freight train collided head-on in Chatsworth [Los Angeles County] this afternoon, killing at least 15 people and injuring at least 70 others...with such force that the lead passenger car was wrapped around the Metrolink locomotive...trains on the track would normally be traveling 55 mph to 79 mph...
- Los Angeles Times
newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-me-traincrash13-2008sep13,0,245095.story)

NEOWatcher
2008-Sep-30, 04:19 PM
Double deja vu (http://www.bautforum.com/1145134-post12.html)

Car GPS blamed for NY train accident again (http://www.woio.com/Global/story.asp?S=9098000)
BEDFORD HILLS, N.Y. (AP) - For the second time this year, a GPS has been blamed for a car-train collision in suburban Bedford Hills, N.Y.

Got stuck like the last one? Stuck how. I think this might be more than just a relying on GPS situation. I'd like to see a picture of that crossing.

Neverfly
2008-Sep-30, 08:28 PM
The article implies that it's twice at that same location.

NEOWatcher
2008-Oct-01, 11:57 AM
Yes; but I think it was clearer on other stories that I heard about it which is why I mentioned it.
Here's a better story (http://wcbstv.com/topstories/gps.beford.hills.2.828972.html) with some good quotes.

Despite having passed a sign that said railroad crossing and despite approaching railroad crossing gates
"You don't turn onto train tracks. Even if there are little voices in your head telling you to do so. If the GPS told you to drive off a cliff, would you drive off a cliff?" Metro-North spokeswoman Marjorie Anders said.

ineluki
2008-Oct-01, 12:28 PM

I think I'm going to start a conspiracy theory that the GPS-devices are actually a tool of the jewish illuminated, reptiloid NWO to wipe out the sheep that follow instructions blindly.

P.S I know that killing "blind followers" seems to be contradictory to their world domination plans, but the followers of my CT won't realise it...

Sam5
2008-Oct-01, 06:16 PM
Double deja vu (http://www.bautforum.com/1145134-post12.html)

Car GPS blamed for NY train accident again (http://www.woio.com/Global/story.asp?S=9098000)
BEDFORD HILLS, N.Y. (AP) - For the second time this year, a GPS has been blamed for a car-train collision in suburban Bedford Hills, N.Y.

Shouldn't "basic map reading" be taught in public schools by about the age of 12?

Sam5
2008-Oct-01, 06:18 PM
I've known lots of adults and teenagers in my life who couldn't tell me which way "north" was, or east, or west, or south. Even at sunset they couldn't tell me which way "west" was.

NEOWatcher
2008-Oct-01, 06:39 PM
Shouldn't "basic map reading" be taught in public schools by about the age of 12?
This has nothing to do with how well you can read a map.
It's a matter of whether you can see out your window and identify objects.

Railroad gates...Gee, must be a train track around here.
Steel lines and grooves across the road... Gee, must be a train track around here.
I'm turning and theres 2 big rails leading down the road... Gee, must be a train track.
There's wooden ties all lined up crossing the road... Gee, must be a train track.

Sam5
2008-Oct-01, 07:59 PM
This has nothing to do with how well you can read a map.
It's a matter of whether you can see out your window and identify objects.

Railroad gates...Gee, must be a train track around here.
Steel lines and grooves across the road... Gee, must be a train track around here.
I'm turning and theres 2 big rails leading down the road... Gee, must be a train track.
There's wooden ties all lined up crossing the road... Gee, must be a train track.

You know that, and I know that, but a lot of people today are used to following instructions, especially instructions from electronic gadgets.

I can see someone following the instructions of an electronic gadget and then thinking, "Dang, these two big rails SHOULDN'T BE HERE!"

NEOWatcher
2008-Oct-01, 08:06 PM
I can see someone following the instructions of an electronic gadget and then thinking, "Dang, these two big rails SHOULDN'T BE HERE!"
Could be, but I'm thinking more that they are saying "gee, what are tho ...oh cool, a Journey song."

tdvance
2008-Oct-01, 08:39 PM

Of course--instructions for reading a map:

1. go to mapquest
2. type in your address
3. type in the destination address
4. click "go"

:)

Neverfly
2008-Oct-02, 12:04 AM

Well, American kids see, they don't have maps... like the kids in China and The Iraq...

tdvance
2008-Oct-02, 01:50 AM
You mean, "unlike U. S. Americans, some people don't have maps"?

Sam5
2008-Oct-02, 02:02 AM
Well, American kids see, they don't have maps... like the kids in China and The Iraq...

Lol, yes, I saw that girl on TV.

NEOWatcher
2008-Dec-03, 06:41 PM
Two versions of the same story could probably fit in the "read again" thread... But, placed here because the train won.

Train Crashes into RTA Bus (http://www.myfoxcleveland.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=7991771&version=5&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1)

The driver -- Dan Rodgers -- was able to evacuate his vehicle prior to impact. He also made an attempt to stop the train.

That could use a bit more explaination... I just keep picturing Superman for some reason.

And then theres the headline on this one.
Bus Stalls On Tracks; Hit By Bus (http://www.newsnet5.com/news/18193762/detail.html). http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/konfus/k030.gif

Edit:
And one more version to explain the first comment.
Train Slams Into Stalled Out RTA Bus (http://www.woio.com/Global/story.asp?S=9449470#)

The driver of the bus ordered all eight passengers off the bus and started doing jumping jacks on the railroad to get the train's attention to stop.
Ok; interesting way to describe it.
In the mean time the train was already attempting to stop, and blowing it's horn wildly. Now instinct would probably make me do the same thing, but, I think a big bus across the tracks is a much better signal to the engineer.

sarongsong
2009-Jul-10, 06:10 AM
Another head-shaker :(
July 9, 2009
An Amtrak passenger train carrying about 170 people struck a car that had skirted a gate at a road crossing near Detroit...killing all five people in the sedan...
AP (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TRAIN_HITS_CAR?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US)

NEOWatcher
2009-Aug-12, 04:48 PM
Amtrak...It slices, it dices, it always stays sharp. Just look what it can do to a tomato.

Amtrak Train Slices Tomato Trailer In Half (http://www.newsnet5.com/news/20369393/detail.html)

An Amtrak train with 265 passengers sliced a trailer carrying about 1,600 cartons of tomatoes clean in half when the two collided on Tuesday.

It doesn't look too clean from the pictures. It looks quite messy.

No mention of whistles, and no crossing gates.

NEOWatcher
2009-Aug-28, 04:29 PM
Police: Ohio College Student Gets Hit By Train After Drinking (http://www.newsnet5.com/news/20599391/detail.html)
I didn't expect the outcome mentioned by the first sentence.

Police in an Ohio college town said a student who was resting off a night of drinking near train tracks is OK after being hit by a train.

OK? Well; considering the story, yes. So; let's say the train won by a slim margin.

DonM435
2009-Aug-28, 07:16 PM
I wouldn't even want to be involved in a split decision. Or a draw.

eric_marsh
2009-Aug-28, 07:59 PM
Trains win every time? I beg to differ.

http://sugarmegs.org/posternutbag/godzilla1.jpeg

sarongsong
2009-Aug-28, 09:12 PM
One more:
August 27, 2009
Firefighters rescue man just before train crashes into truck...it took about five seconds to get him out and at least another four seconds to get off the tracks. About four seconds later, the passenger train plowed into the truck...traveling about 60 mph...
venturacountystar.com (http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2009/aug/27/no-headline---nxxfctrain28/)

DonM435
2009-Aug-31, 12:37 PM
One more:

So? Sounds like they made it with time to spare! :shifty:

NEOWatcher
2009-Aug-31, 05:53 PM
Trains win every time? I beg to differ.
<pic.

How do we know the train didn't win in the end?

So? Sounds like they made it with time to spare! :shifty:
I'm not sure that I like how that story was presented.

It sounds like a "the dickens to safety precautions...lets go NOW!"

I think it would be appropriate to mention what they had to forego to ultimately save the life (no backboard, etc).

sarongsong
2009-Aug-31, 10:00 PM
So? Sounds like they made it with time to spare! :shifty:Right---that was in response to post #83.

Nowhere Man
2009-Aug-31, 11:19 PM
Back on July 9, in Canton Twp., Michigan, a young yahoo in a hurry drove around a stopped car and the crossing gates and positioned his car perfectly (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/10/train-bound-for-chicago-h_n_229339.html). He not only killed himself, but the four other young people in the car. The video from the train clearly shows the car driving in front of the train.

If not for the other four people, I'd say it's evolution in action.

Fred

NEOWatcher
2009-Oct-13, 03:49 PM
Train drags half-naked mooner along tracks (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33284400/ns/world_news-weird_news/)

BERLIN - A German man mooning railway staff in a departing train got his trousers caught in a carriage door and ended up being dragged half naked along the platform, out of the station and onto the tracks.

Something tells me that it ended up with him not insulting anyone.

LaurelHS
2009-Oct-13, 06:34 PM
A guy was just hit by a train in British Columbia (http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20091012/bc_chestnut_train_091012/20091012/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome); he was wandering around between two train crossings to collect chestnuts, apparently. :confused:

Neverfly
2009-Oct-14, 02:16 AM
How tragic... I really feel for the family.

publiusr
2009-Oct-15, 07:05 PM

You'd be surprised. I have always spent a lot of time out of doors. Once I worked a job that required me to spend a lot of time near rails. Once, some flatbed cars minus an engine were rolling backwards around a turn down a grade. I heard but very little. More quiet than you might imagine.

Fazor
2009-Oct-16, 08:39 PM
A-HA! Proof that this thread title is wrong! They don't win every time!
Before I link: Quick warning, video is kinda shocking the first time you see it. But it turns out all-good. I promise.

Baby VS Train! (http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/10/16/australia.baby.train.escape/index.html)

Okay, so seeing it for the first time this morning almost made me sick. And not a lot, as far as humans and injury, can do that. But a baby? Who doesn't have a weakness for baby deaths.

... but wait, there was no death! And no major injury! Too bad this kid isn't old enough to go buy a lotto ticket. Amazing.

I find it an interesting film, since no one was hurt, in that it gives me a chance to study people's reactions in the face of certain (but wrong!) tragedy. I mean, gods, I can't imagine being one of those people. Particularly the mother. Hell, if it was me, I might have just willed myself dead right on the spot. How awful.

But wow. Shows that you just never know.

LaurelHS
2009-Oct-16, 10:07 PM
According to a CBC article (http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/10/16/baby-train-stroller-survive-rolls-tracks.html), this accident is a good illustration of why babies in strollers need to be strapped in properly. This baby would probably not have survived if he had fallen out of the stroller.

HenrikOlsen
2009-Oct-16, 10:38 PM
It's a good illustration why stollers should have their locks engaged at all time when not held.

NEOWatcher
2009-Oct-19, 04:32 PM
A-HA! Proof that this thread title is wrong! They don't win every time!
Ok; sometimes there's a tie. But; they don't lose. (In fact I added another in the read it again thread)

... but wait, there was no death! And no major injury! Too bad this kid isn't old enough to go buy a lotto ticket. Amazing.
Even without the train, I thought that the kid came out extremely lucky. That was one heck of a fall.
Pretty good carriage, or good packing by the mom.

LaurelHS
2009-Nov-10, 05:34 PM
Here's another story (http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20091110/boston_train_091110/20091110?hub=TopStoriesV2) where the train didn't win.

Fazor
2009-Nov-10, 05:56 PM
The woman, whose name was not made public, suffered some scrapes and was taken to a hospital for evaluation. She told authorities she had been drinking.

After watching the video, I thought maybe she had had a seizure (until I subsequently read the article, of course). Even though the phrase "been drinking" doesn't specify amount, it still sounds like an understatement! Wow.

NEOWatcher
2009-Nov-10, 06:33 PM
... Even though the phrase "been drinking" doesn't specify amount, it still sounds like an understatement! Wow.
Well; that's to balance off the overstatement of "hero".
Was the driver in danger? No; he slammed on the brakes like any other vehicle operator would have, and should have.

Kudos for recognizing a danger, and I don't mind the recognition he's getting, but I don't think "hero" applies. Isn't that why there's an operator? Is he a hero because he wasn't sleeping?

aurora
2009-Nov-10, 06:47 PM
Could be, but I'm thinking more that they are saying "gee, what are tho ...oh cool, a Journey song."

Are you saying we have a short attenti...

oooh, monkeys!

NEOWatcher
2010-Jan-05, 06:09 PM
Another one, but no details on how or why.
Teen girl fatally hit by Amtrak train (http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/01/05/maryland.amtrak.fatality/index.html)

What gets me is why do they feel the need to throw this in.

She said no one aboard the southbound train was hurt.

Ok; if it were a car or truck or something that the train hit, I can understand that there might be some question. Or; maybe if they mentioned something about a hard stop by the engineer.

But; without that, It's almost like saying that I wasn't hurt when a bug hit my windshield.

BigDon
2010-Jan-05, 08:35 PM
Wow in my area we had 14 teen suicides by train in the last nine months, all from the same high school.

I think somebody needs to form a [redacted] task force.

Fazor
2010-Jan-05, 08:43 PM
Wow in my area we had 14 teen suicides by train in the last nine months, all from the same high school.

I think somebody needs to form a [redacted] task force.

I had read about that.

Laying or standing on tracks isn't a new way to "do the deed", but it sure seems to be gaining popularity.

Personally, if I were to ever chose to do that (I wouldn't. Too many of my favorite things require being alive to enjoy. In fact, all of them do.) I think I'd pick a method that leaves out the possibility of a horrendously painful end, or worse, a horrendously painful non-end.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Jan-05, 08:51 PM
... and for that matter hasn't a high likelihood of destroying the mental health of another human being by the deed.

Larry Jacks
2010-Jan-05, 09:46 PM
... and for that matter has a high likelihood of destroying the mental health of another human being by the deed.

I can't imagine the grief a locomotive engineer must feel for killing someone, especially a child, even though the accident wasn't his fault. I honestly don't know if I could live with myself if it happened to me.

swampyankee
2010-Jan-05, 10:22 PM
I used to commute to New York on Metro North Railroad. Unlike most US lines, most of the MNRR line from New Haven to New York is fenced, and has no grade crossings. This makes it a trifle more difficult for drivers to get their cars hit by trains, but there were several people killed by trains during the years I commuted. I asked one of the engineers I saw regularly -- I got on and off at the ends of the line, when he wasn't driving -- how they dealt with this. His comment was that all the engineers knew that pedestrian-train accidents occured, and while they may feel badly, they wouldn't have breakdowns.

There were some places it was more common, such as a viaduct on one of the branch lines, and the engineers paid special attention at those sites.

For a while, I was getting onto the train (long story, but look up "Shore Line East") at a platform in one of the suburbs. The "station" was just a platform beside the tracks; I can tell you that trains don't send much sound ahead. Were I on the tracks (something I never did; I don't have a death wish), and the train coming up behind me, the first I would know of it would be the rather loud horn, which would probably cause me to freeze like a deer in the headlights, just before the "splat."

BigDon
2010-Jan-05, 10:45 PM
Swamp yankee is right. I have a big set of train tracks between where I live and where I fished as a kid. You wouldn't think a train could sneak up on you but they can and especially on multitrack lines where boxcars are parked.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Jan-05, 10:46 PM
On the other hand, the rails start singing well in time for you to get off, at least if you aren't the type to go through life oblivious of your surroundings.

swampyankee
2010-Jan-05, 10:50 PM
On the other hand, the rails start singing well in time for you to get off, at least if you aren't the type to go through life oblivious of your surroundings.

I tend to be fairly cognizant of my surroundings, and I've always viewed one of the aspects of that to be someplace where an attention lapse has a lower probability of being lethal.

BigDon
2010-Jan-06, 01:39 AM
Back in the mid 70's when I was in high school a bunch of friends and I were caught in a short tunnel by the express from San Jose to San Francisco.

Woo frickin' hoo!

Henrick, on multitrack lines in train yards your ears are near useless because EVERTHING is noisy!

Honest! My survival instincts are as good as anyones and I was near hit at least times. I had to stop hanging out there.

Hlafordlaes
2010-Jan-06, 02:11 AM
Worst thing for me was getting caught as a kid crossing a rural trestle. There were kinda scary gaps between the ties, and it was about 100 ft up over a torrent, so my going was slow. Then a train showed up. Luckily it was going slow and I made it, just, to one of the side platforms put halfway across I guess for just that purpose. I got an earful from the conductor, apart from being bobbed up and down on that rickety thing while holding on for dear life to a rusted and loose railing.

Lesson learned, but I was that close to being a statistic.

Still love all things trainish, though.

Gillianren
2010-Jan-06, 02:39 AM
I can't imagine the grief a locomotive engineer must feel for killing someone, especially a child, even though the accident wasn't his fault. I honestly don't know if I could live with myself if it happened to me.

There's a well-known phenomenon called "suicide by cop," too. My best friend and I have very specific methods of suicide in mind that are, to us, just rude and therefore out of consideration even when we're at our most depressed, and highest on the list is anything involving a person who didn't volunteer to assist.

Atraveller
2010-Jan-06, 04:02 AM
... and for that matter has a high likelihood of destroying the mental health of another human being by the deed.

There was a case here (the inquest just closed.) Three young boys, playing on the tracks at night. All killed instantly. Happened about four years ago, but the engineer hasn't been able to drive since...

Train accident could have been averted (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/fatal-train-crash-could-have-been-averted-coroner-20091223-lcwv.html)

The inquest blamed the engineer for not having his lights on - talk about a man in need of therapy for the rest of his life...

Donnie B.
2010-Jan-06, 02:42 PM
A propos of nothing much... I have a recurring dream in which I am crossing multiple parallel railroad tracks on foot (for no reason that's obvious). Trains are liable to appear from either direction, at various speeds and in various relationships to other trains (i.e. on adjacent tracks or several tracks apart). I've had close calls where I avoided one oncoming train only to have another bear down on me on the adjacent track. It's all quite realistic and scary.

One interesting aspect is that the trains seem to be pulled by random engine types -- steam, diesel, full-size or small switchers, even those little maintenance carts. No hand-pumped ones, though. Maybe next time.

Fazor
2010-Jan-06, 02:44 PM
Play a lot of Frogger when you were younger, Donnie? :)

Donnie B.
2010-Jan-06, 02:52 PM
Play a lot of Frogger when you were younger, Donnie? :)
Nope... in fact, I don't know enough about the game to catch the relevance of the comment.

Tucson_Tim
2010-Jan-06, 04:03 PM
My best friend and I have very specific methods of suicide in mind that are, to us, just rude and therefore out of consideration even when we're at our most depressed, and highest on the list is anything involving a person who didn't volunteer to assist.

I go about 10 steps farther than calling it "rude". It's downright cowardly and uncaring. If you're going to off yourself then do it yourself - don't get anyone else involved.

Fazor
2010-Jan-06, 04:07 PM
I go about 10 steps farther than calling it "rude". It's downright cowardly and uncaring. If you're going to off yourself then do it yourself - don't get anyone else involved.

Yes, but technically someone is almost always going to have to, at a minimum, deal with your corpse. That can also be traumatic if it's found by someone other than a person who deals with that regularly . . . say, a landlord or relative.

And if the body has started to decay . . . well, that's a real mess.

Tucson_Tim
2010-Jan-06, 04:11 PM
Yes, but technically someone is almost always going to have to, at a minimum, deal with your corpse. That can also be traumatic if it's found by someone other than a person who deals with that regularly . . . say, a landlord or relative.

And if the body has started to decay . . . well, that's a real mess.

All these things would have to be dealt with if a person dies of natural causes. But I admit, finding a body with a gunshot wound to the head would be hard to take.

Fazor
2010-Jan-06, 04:18 PM
All these things would have to be dealt with if a person dies of natural causes.

True, but that doesn't make it any less traumatic for those involved. I've had friends that have come home to find family members hanging in a closet. I've also had friends who've come home to find a relative dead on the couch or floor from natural causes. Guess which ones are more troubled by it?

Anyway, I'm good at being off-topic, and none of this really has to do with trains anymore.

Gillianren
2010-Jan-06, 06:18 PM
All these things would have to be dealt with if a person dies of natural causes. But I admit, finding a body with a gunshot wound to the head would be hard to take.

Yes; that's rude, too.

Mind you that "rude" is shorthand for the real severity of the issue. It's faster to say. And even if trains ran around here at any kind of speed--we get slow freights about a twenty-minute drive away in one direction and the station is about ten miles away in the other, and at neither place are trains going all that fast--I would still show the same amount of caution regardless of mood. It's not right to put that burden on the engineers.

LaurelHS
2010-Jan-15, 05:16 PM
Another person has lost a fight with a train in Oakville (http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100115/fatal_pedestrian_100115/20100115?hub=Toronto).

NEOWatcher
2010-Jan-15, 06:00 PM
Another person has lost a fight with a train in Oakville (http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100115/fatal_pedestrian_100115/20100115?hub=Toronto).
At least they included the important fact.

None of the passengers on the train were injured.

;)

NEOWatcher
2010-Jan-21, 05:21 PM
Another car/train incident.
Fire Captain Helps Save Man from Burning Car (http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-man-saved-from-suv-train-accident-txt,0,7561282.story)
What's amazing though, is seeing what happened to the car, and the guy is still alive. (So now he can face his DUI charge)

sarongsong
2010-Feb-16, 12:38 AM
:(
February 15, 2010
Two commuter trains crashed head-on near Brussels during the Monday morning rush hour, killing at least 18...in snowy conditions...One train ignored red light, a local official says...
alertnet.org (http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/LDE61E0P2.htm)

NEOWatcher
2010-Feb-16, 04:17 PM
:(
Yes, tragic news, but not quite with the tone of the thread, since there really wasn't a "winner". Although, don't take that as criticism.

Usually; it's someone either challenging a train, or ignoring the risk of a train coming that lands here.

closetgeek
2010-Feb-22, 01:43 PM
Train Kills Three Teenage Girls Crossing Florida Bridge (http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/train-kills-3-teen-girls-crossing-florida-bridge/19366904?icid=main|main|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww .aolnews.com%2Fnation%2Farticle%2Ftrain-kills-3-teen-girls-crossing-florida-bridge%2F19366904)

This is utterly tragic!

megrfl
2010-Feb-22, 01:58 PM
Train Kills Three Teenage Girls Crossing Florida Bridge (http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/train-kills-3-teen-girls-crossing-florida-bridge/19366904?icid=main|main|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww .aolnews.com%2Fnation%2Farticle%2Ftrain-kills-3-teen-girls-crossing-florida-bridge%2F19366904)

This is utterly tragic!

Yep, read that this morning, apparently witnesses said they had an out by jumping off the bridge into the canal or moving over to the other track; but they seemed to be like deer caught in a head light. One male teen survived by running to the other side and exiting the track.

Indeed tragic.

closetgeek
2010-Feb-22, 02:05 PM
Yep, read that this morning, apparently witnesses said they had an out by jumping off the bridge into the canal or moving over to the other track; but they seemed to be like deer caught in a head light. One male teen survived by running to the other side and exiting the track.

Indeed tragic.

My boyfriend and I were at a restaurant, waiting to get seated when we heard a bunch of sirens. I remember thinking, "Wow, that can't be good." My daughter doesn't know the only name released, they are a few years older, but it still hits way too close to home, on many levels.

NEOWatcher
2010-Feb-22, 06:58 PM

Indeed tragic.
I was hoping that link had a clear picture of the bridge.

...but next to it is another trestle with an old, rusted track that apparently is not in use. There isn't anything dividing the two...

It's hard to tell if they are referring to the fact that there is no barrier. I'm wondering if there isn't anything connecting the two either.

A few more to wet the whistle.
Suspected drunken driver hits rear of train (http://www.mlive.com/news/citpat/index.ssf?/base/news-30/126685112023440.xml&coll=3)
Not much more to the story there, except that it actually resulted in a hit and run. (althought the run only lasted another 2 blocks)

I'm waiting to see if she says she didn't see it coming. (especially when it was going)

And this one:
Train Hits Man Placing Coin on the Tracks in Tempe (http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2010/02/train_hits_man_placing_coin_on.php)

The coin fell between the tracks and when the man tried to retrieve it, he was hit by an oncoming Union Pacific train.

This morning on TV I saw the tail end of a story of someone getting hit (or nearly hit) by 2 trains. It looked like security cam coverage, but I can't find it on line anywhere.
It could be this coin story, because it looked to me like the person may have fallen at the last minute. It could have just been him just bending down.

Edit:
Our local fox station has a side view of the bridge in question. You still can't tell what the surface conditions looked like.
Friend watches helplessly as train kills 3 Fla. girls (http://www.fox8.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-us-train-hits-pedestrians,0,3654449.story)

And; since this is get wacked by a train week: Woman goes around crossing, dies when she walks into side of commuter train in Dallas (http://www.fox8.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-us-commuter-train-death,0,1868811.story)

tdvance
2010-Feb-22, 09:31 PM
As a kid, I was on a train bridge with dad and a cousin. Every 20 feet or so was a platform one could stand on to wait for a train to go by. We used it once when a train went by.

The "deer in the headlights" is panicking--and people and animals both do that sometimes. Happens often with private pilots when something goes wrong (I recall a story in which an engine failed. The proper procedure: shut engine down and restart it---only he panicked and shut down the engine that was still working instead....)....which is why commercial pilots have to be trained so heavily.

megrfl
2010-Feb-23, 01:16 AM
but it still hits way too close to home, on many levels.

My husband and son were talking about it in more detail this evening and there comments brought me to tears. My son is 15 and he indicated it would be hard to be the lone survivor. I'm sure the boy will need a lot of reassuring support for some time.

NEOWatcher, my husband said there is a small gap between the two tracks. The girls were unable to react as tdvance described.

Sincerely heartbreaking.

NEOWatcher
2010-Feb-24, 07:05 PM
NEOWatcher, my husband said there is a small gap between the two tracks. The girls were unable to react as tdvance described.
Thanks for the update.
I'm sure if the girls were in a state of panic, even a small gap might seem daunting.
It's hard to tell without being in a similar situation.

Anyway, today...
Man Struck by Trains Twice in 2 Weeks (http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-train-hit-twice,0,856746.story)

A man who had his hand severed after being dragged by a Metrolink train two weeks ago was struck again on Tuesday and lived to tell about it, authorities said.

The man was hospitalized with non life-threatening injuries, police said, adding that a mental health examination would be requested.

And backtracking a bit:

This morning on TV I saw the tail end of a story of someone getting hit (or nearly hit) by 2 trains. It looked like security cam coverage, but I can't find it on line anywhere.
Found it (http://www.boingboing.net/2009/11/18/train-track-inspecto.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+boingboing%2FiBag+%28Boing+Bo ing%29). There's some question about its authenticity which is probably why its not on the main media anymore. (I saw it on Fox, so I'm giving some benefit of the doubt by calling it main media)

NEOWatcher
2010-Mar-01, 07:10 PM
BREAKING: Amtrak Train, Fire Truck Collide (http://www.wxyz.com/news/story/BREAKING-Amtrak-Train-Fire-Truck-Collide/_NtjejMHoESBFPmpsGAhEg.cspx?hpt=T2)

Two police cars and the fire truck were reportedly parked on the tracks while responding to that accident. Witnesses say the Amtrak train sounded a whistle that it was coming. Police were able to get to their squad cars and get them off of the tracks, but the driver of the fire truck did not get back to his truck in time.
Since it's breaking news, they really don't have any "why's" as to why they were on the track.
I would think emergency crews would know better.

Fazor
2010-Mar-01, 07:21 PM
Maybe they didn't realize it was a train track.
"Geeze Bill, who left this giant ladder laying in the street?"
"I don't know, Joe, but we got bigger issues; that building is on fire! Just park over top it!"

NEOWatcher
2010-Mar-01, 07:57 PM
Maybe they didn't realize it was a train track.
"Geeze Bill, who left this giant ladder laying in the street?"
"I don't know, Joe, but we got bigger issues; that building is on fire! Just park over top it!"
And from looking at the picture, I wonder if they thought anything about those long flat barber poles with the red lights on them.

Fazor
2010-Mar-01, 07:59 PM
And from looking at the picture, I wonder if they thought anything about those long flat barber poles with the red lights on them.

"Hey, look'et them, Bill. This must be one of them 'red light' districts!"
"I bet'cher right, Joe! Lets hurry up and put out this fire so we can go see one of the shows!"

(see, I have a solution for every situation)

LaurelHS
2010-Mar-02, 09:46 PM
Another one, this time in Saskatchewan (http://www.leaderpost.com/Danger+trains+continues+Saskatchewan+highway+trave llers+after+teen+boys+killed/2630110/story.html). A man and two boys were killed when a train hit their car. Police think the driver "basically didn't look and crossed the tracks."

NEOWatcher
2010-Mar-03, 03:36 PM
Another one, this time in Saskatchewan (http://www.leaderpost.com/Danger+trains+continues+Saskatchewan+highway+trave llers+after+teen+boys+killed/2630110/story.html). A man and two boys were killed when a train hit their car. Police think the driver "basically didn't look and crossed the tracks."
I wonder what the crossing looked like or how often the tracks are used.
They said a Rural crossing with signs, but don't mention lights, gates, or even if it had a stop sign.

(we have plenty around like that, and most of them have big scrape marks on the road where people "get air" going over the tracks)

But; even so; looking and paying attention is important.

NEOWatcher
2010-Mar-03, 05:44 PM
... But; even so; looking and paying attention is important.

And on that note, another one blaming GPS.

GPS Mistake Nearly Costs Woman Her Life (http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-news-ohio-leetonia-gps-mistake-train-accident,0,6527668.story)

The 64-year-old Youngstown-area woman was driving in Columbiana County when the GPS led her onto a set of railroad tracks as a train was approaching.

More likely is that not paying attention to her surroundings nearly costs woman her life.

Fazor
2010-Mar-03, 05:49 PM
"That sounds like a train, but this 'GPS' doesn't show one, so I should be fine. . . . AAAEEEEEEEEEK!"

NEOWatcher
2010-Mar-12, 05:45 PM
Names Of Teens Hit By Train Released (http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/22818285/detail.html)

"At this time, it appears they were laying there. I don't know why, just laying alongside the tracks," said [Officer] Hernandez.

Options:
Under the influence.
Stupid (Either ignorance or on a dare)
Suicidal

Hernandez said criminal charges are not expected to be filed.

Why not? If you don't know why, and there is a survivor to investigate, then what's the basis of the expectation?

Fazor
2010-Mar-12, 05:52 PM
Why not? If you don't know why, and there is a survivor to investigate, then what's the basis of the expectation?

If I were the chief, I'd be reluctant to press charges against families that already suffered from the incident. Sure, it's illegal to interfere with the path of a train, which would include doing so with your own body. But in this particular case, I'd have to weigh whether the punishment was really necessary and what the public perception of such a charge would be.

I'm not saying I'd necessarily make the same call, but it's a judgment call and I certainly see both sides. Fortunately, my current job doesn't necessitate such decisions. :)

NEOWatcher
2010-Mar-12, 06:24 PM
If I were the chief, I'd be reluctant to press charges against families that already suffered from the incident.
I agree that's probably true, but to leave the story hanging like that seems like the reporter heard the comment and said "Oh; ok, no more questions".

tdvance
2010-Mar-12, 08:25 PM
Names Of Teens Hit By Train Released (http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/22818285/detail.html)

Options:
Under the influence.
Stupid (Either ignorance or on a dare)
Suicidal

ha ha--got there first:

Lying there!

tdvance
2010-Mar-12, 08:26 PM
Of course, they were quoting. Though I'd still imagine many papers would silently correct it, with "misheard" as plausible deniability.

NEOWatcher
2010-Mar-12, 08:32 PM
Of course, they were quoting. Though I'd still imagine many papers would silently correct it, with "misheard" as plausible deniability.
A simple "but wouldn't elaborate" would be enough. At least I would know the reporter has some clue that it's relevent.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Mar-12, 10:02 PM
It could just as well have been "corrected" to what was written, it seems to be an increasingly common misspelling, likely because the homonymy with lying (telling a lie) makes it look like a mistake if you don't absolutely know it's correct.

But yes, lots of people confuse laying down (putting something in a horizontal position) and lying down (putting yourself in a horizontal position).

NEOWatcher
2010-Mar-23, 03:38 PM
BREAKING: Amtrak Train, Fire Truck Collide (http://www.wxyz.com/news/story/BREAKING-Amtrak-Train-Fire-Truck-Collide/_NtjejMHoESBFPmpsGAhEg.cspx?hpt=T2)

Since it's breaking news, they really don't have any "why's" as to why they were on the track.
I would think emergency crews would know better.
Update:
Video both overhead, and from the Engineer's point of view.
Train hits fire truck (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2010/03/23/dnt.train.hits.fire.engine.wdiv?hpt=C2)

NEOWatcher
2010-Apr-09, 01:57 PM
Choo-choo no match for plucky Utah Shih Tzu (http://www.wkyc.com/news/watercooler/watercooler_article.aspx?storyid=133955&catid=91)

No match? Sure, he survived, but obviously lost.

Krause, who was operating a train, says there was no way to stop before it ran over the dog, which was small enough to avoid actually being hit.

Krause says he spotted the same dog on the return trip and this time the pup wasn't so lucky.

As a side note, I'd probably use "passed over the dog" rather than "ran over". Even though both could be applicable, one has a certain implication to it.

NEOWatcher
2010-Apr-23, 04:27 PM
Another one who didn't see this huge hunk of moving metal in the middle of the road.
Five teens injured in car-train crash (http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/five-teens-injured-in-car-train-crash)

All five were on their way to Brillion High School about 7 o'clock this morning when their car hit the side of a train that was crossing the road in front of them.

How do you not see a train in front of you.... Oh; yeah, right. 5 teenagers in the car.

tdvance
2010-Apr-23, 05:33 PM
I don't know in this case, but in HS, a kid ran into the back of a stopped schoolbus. The reason? thick fog. So it can happen (if you're dumb enough to overdrive your visibility).

Fazor
2010-Apr-23, 05:40 PM
We grew up out in the "farmland" of rural Ohio (not as rural as much of Ohio, more rural than city though), and had a train crossing a quarter mile down the road. It's middle-of-nowhere, so lacks the gates and lights of busier crossings, but there's two or three trains a day that go buy, so it's by no means an underused track.

It's always amazed me, even to this day, how many people become so accustomed to the track that they don't slow down one bit when approaching and crossing it. The tracks in one direction run through heavily wooded land, with a curve. You get a decent line of sight going one way up the road, but from the other, it's a blind shot up to about 30 yards from the crossing. Much too little distance to actually stop your car if you get up on the tracks to find a train coming.

The other direction is more open most of the year, but runs through corn fields, so when the crop is high, you cannot see that way either.

Sure, you should maybe hear the trains horn if one is indeed coming. But between music, talking on the phone, and whatever else everyone is doing while they're driving, that's far from a sure thing. Yet no one slows to get a look. In the 27 years my family's lived there, there hasn't been any train-car-fights yet. But it's a matter of time.

I'd have to wonder if these kids cross those tracks every day on the way to school and there hasn't been a train in the past, if they just got too "comfortable" with the tracks and weren't paying one bit of attention. People really do seem to think train tracks don't mean anything unless there's motorized arms and flashing lights (and even then, there's a percentage that fuel this thread who still think tracks aren't serious business).

NEOWatcher
2010-Apr-23, 05:50 PM
From the video, it looks like the view of the track is wide open in both directions. It also looks like one of those uneven crossings where you'd either have to slow down or suffer major undercarriage issues.

Another missing fact is how fast those trains run (it looks like one of those slow local shuttling trains with only a few cars).
Plus; where in the train did it hit? front, middle, back?

One Skunk Todd
2010-Apr-23, 06:04 PM
How do you not see a train in front of you.... Oh; yeah, right. 5 teenagers in the car.

From the article:

"A car hitting a train can always have the possibility of being fatal," said Rusch. "This case it was fortunate that we had no fatalities. One of the pluses that the occupants of the car had is that all of them were wearing seat belts which gives you a better chance of survival in a crash like this."

Color me stunned trout about the seatbelts. :)

Gillianren
2010-Apr-23, 06:21 PM
If you're programmed from an early enough age, you get paranoid about seat belts. My mother wouldn't let us out of the driveway without ours on.

NEOWatcher
2010-Apr-23, 06:23 PM
Color me stunned trout about the seatbelts. :)
So they were responsible drivers and passengers... who happen to not pay attention to the actual driving.

The two men on the train were not injured.
I wonder if they were wearing seatbelts? Oh, yeah, this is the obligitory train incident statement.

BTW: I also assume non-dark conditions since Wisconson is on the east side of a time zone and this happened at 7.

Fazor
2010-Apr-23, 06:49 PM
I think 7 is still that late-dawn light (I'm not out driving at 7, I'm usually just half-awake on the couch ;)), which together with the mid-dusk lighting makes for some of the worst visibility, as things tend to take on grayish hues and blend into the background. Still, I'd hope that I'd see a train in time to stop, were it already blocking the road. *shrug*

NEOWatcher
2010-Apr-23, 07:06 PM
(I'm not out driving at 7...
I am, and it's quite bright at this time of the year. And; based on ours and thier locations in the time-zones, I would think the daylight would be more like our daylight at about 7:40.

Fazor
2010-Apr-23, 07:13 PM
Ah. Well, all I know'se is that when I get up and move from the bed to the couch at 6:00am it' still pretty dark. But the living room has all the blinds drawn, so I don't get a good idea of how bright it is come 7.

Well then, next theory: they were having a conversation amongst themselves, which if my observations are correct, means they all were texting each other. Oral communication seems to be one of mankind's abilities that has become obsolete. ;)

NEOWatcher
2010-Apr-26, 05:57 PM
Just another story about 2 drunks who walk onto a railroad track.

Friends: Rosemead Teens Killed by Train May Have Been Drinking (http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-rosemead-railroad-bodies,0,3850993.story)

I just wanted to point out that it seems like every train crash story, even when it's the overwhelming train vs flesh has the following:

No one on the train was reported injured.

Although; this might also be worth mentioning:

The conductor didn't see the men "until it was too late," Johnson said.
For a freight train running 50mph, I would think that just about anything is too late. They don't exactly stop on a dime.

Now; if the reporter would only make up thier mind and decide whether they are men or teens.

chrissy
2010-Apr-26, 07:01 PM
But no-one on the train was reported injured.

(Teenage men?)

Gillianren
2010-Apr-26, 07:43 PM
If whatever-it-is causes derailment, or even too sudden a stop (which is, yes, very difficult on a train), that can cause injuries on the train.

NEOWatcher
2010-Apr-26, 07:49 PM
If whatever-it-is causes derailment...
Yes; but I would expect that to be an important part of the story.

tdvance
2010-Apr-26, 07:52 PM
Are they perhaps 19? Then they are legally men (ETA under most laws--except alcohol and lately, health insurance) and technically teens.

chrissy
2010-Apr-26, 08:06 PM
Here they would be classed as 19 year old men. As they can drink at 18 legally here and vote etc.

NEOWatcher
2010-Apr-26, 08:21 PM
...Then they are legally men ... and technically teens.
Yes; technically both at that age. But; it seems to me that the reporter has an agenda by mixing the two terms.
"Men" is used when the drinking is mentioned.
"Teen" is used when the drinking is not mentioned.
Now; maybe it's my suspicious nature that this is done intentionally. It both loosens the drinking responsibility, and still keeps the hint of innocent teen.

Gillianren
2010-Apr-26, 08:44 PM
Yes; but I would expect that to be an important part of the story.

Granted. It's just an observation that it is possible for a person on the train to be injured in one of these collisions.

NEOWatcher
2010-Jul-22, 06:06 PM
Man killed after trying to 'slap' moving train while celebrating birthday (http://www.live5news.com/Global/story.asp?S=12852316)
Pretty much describes the situation.
"Celebration" being a replacement for "drunk".
"Slap" meaning an aggressive move rather than a "high five". *

*Reminds me of Ford Prefects arrival on Earth.

Fazor
2010-Jul-22, 06:15 PM
Everyone knows you don't slap a moving train. Their only weakness is a quick left jab. Maybe a strong right hook, but only if it drops it's guard down.

vonmazur
2010-Jul-23, 03:40 AM
Swampyankee and Guys: I worked 20 years on the Penn Central-Conrail-Metro North RR....I could regale you all with long winded stories, but safe to say; "In case of a tie, the RR wins..."

Metro Region has overhead wires and the catenary to hold it, lots of idiots would try to steal the copper, I must have attended a dozen hearings on this over the years. Once, in Bridgeport CT, working at Central Avenue Tower (Signal Box to the Brits), I had a gang of youths bring an aluminum ladder and bolt cutters to steal the copper...It was not pretty and the families lost the case. more often than not, it was copper theft that led to the demise of the perpetrators, not alcohol or grade crossings...but we did have and still have, grade crossings on the New Caanan, Danbury, and Waterbury lines, that was where the cars met the trains with some regularity....Swampyankee is correct about the post traumatic stress...Working on the RR was more stressful than 2 years in Vietnam, flying Helicopters in constant combat.....................

Dale

DonM435
2010-Jul-23, 04:02 AM
"Bad train! Hic! Take that!"

Bad idea.

swampyankee
2010-Jul-23, 02:42 PM
Swampyankee and Guys: I worked 20 years on the Penn Central-Conrail-Metro North RR....I could regale you all with long winded stories, but safe to say; "In case of a tie, the RR wins..."

Metro Region has overhead wires and the catenary to hold it, lots of idiots would try to steal the copper, I must have attended a dozen hearings on this over the years. Once, in Bridgeport CT, working at Central Avenue Tower (Signal Box to the Brits), I had a gang of youths bring an aluminum ladder and bolt cutters to steal the copper...It was not pretty and the families lost the case. more often than not, it was copper theft that led to the demise of the perpetrators, not alcohol or grade crossings...but we did have and still have, grade crossings on the New Caanan, Danbury, and Waterbury lines, that was where the cars met the trains with some regularity....Swampyankee is correct about the post traumatic stress...Working on the RR was more stressful than 2 years in Vietnam, flying Helicopters in constant combat.....................

Dale

Hmm...aluminum stepladder, bolt cutters, overhead lines at 12,000 volts. Was it raining, too? Always adds to the enjoyment of stealing live, uninsulated power lines.

I wonder if all the commuters who had to deal with the delays got to sue the thieves' estate. I'm thinking sabotaging the daily transport of tens of thousands of people should leave one open to a lawsuit.

vonmazur
2010-Jul-24, 04:27 AM
Swampyankee: You are correct, it was raining lightly and very misty. I did try to warn them, but they were in the opposite end of the yard, and our PA was ancient, there were ample warning signs posted that the wire was hot, still they persisted...This took place when the east yard in Bridgepost was being rewired for passsenger service, some years ago, the catenary was there , but the wire was removed in 1970, when the State started subsidizing the passenger service, before this time the New Haven RR had electric traction for freight trains and regularly delivered the cars to Bridgeport with electric powered locmotives, where the diesel switchers would move them around after drop off...In the late 80's, Metro North decided to rewire the yard so they could have more service to the west, and avoid the deadheading from New Haven which was packed full anyhow, so they started to hang the copper trolley wire and left it hot............

Dale

mugaliens
2010-Jul-27, 02:27 AM
Man killed after trying to 'slap' moving train while celebrating birthday (http://www.live5news.com/Global/story.asp?S=12852316)

I'm amazed this idea is still making the rounds: "When doing so, he apparently was sucked into the train..."

Trains don't suck. Many times I've been within a foot or two of trains moving around 35 mph. One three occasions, out west, they were moving in excess of 80 mph. There is no "suction" involved, save that of gravity which will cause someone who is unsteady on their feet to fall onto the rail.

"Another witness, who is an ex-girlfriend of Helton's and had been in an argument with him before the incident, said he went to touch the oncoming train with his hand and that his foot got caught in the track in front of the train."

Ahh... The truth arrives. Of course if his foot is getting caught on the track (rather than one of the ties), he was a dead man already.

Jens
2010-Jul-27, 07:34 AM
Ahh... The truth arrives. Of course if his foot is getting caught on the track (rather than one of the ties), he was a dead man already.

Is that necessarily true? I would say that he was an amputee already, but maybe there's something I don't understand.

And by the way, the thing about being sucked into trains seems intercultural. When I was traveling in India in the last 1980s, I was on a train from Delhi to Jaipur and the train stopped because, as I understood it from the other passengers, "a woman had been sucked under the train."

NickW
2010-Jul-27, 08:24 AM
as I understood it from the other passengers, "a woman had been sucked under the train."

Does that mean she just fell?

Jens
2010-Jul-27, 09:07 AM
Does that mean she just fell?

I have no idea what actually happened. Somebody just translated into English for me what people were saying, and I wasn't particularly inclined to go out and see for myself.

NEOWatcher
2010-Jul-27, 12:18 PM
Trains don't suck.
They do when their behind schedule, crowded, and the air conditioning goes out.

No suction, but there is turbulence which may help one fall. Mythbusters did that and suction was busted (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(2006_season)#Train_Suction).

Jens
2010-Jul-27, 12:42 PM

I should have thought of that too. As a daily train user, I can verify that yes, they can at times.

Tog
2010-Jul-27, 12:43 PM
The turbulence along side a train might be enough to cause a person, especially a drunk one, to stagger and fall. Falling under the train may not be "getting sucked under" in the truest sense, but it would probably look that way to witnesses.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Jul-27, 03:06 PM
And I suspect it might be a euphemism for suicide in countries where that's a taboo subject.

Fazor
2010-Jul-27, 03:14 PM
I'd add that it's not unheard of for loose clothing to catch and pull someone into a moving train, which I suppose could appear like they were "sucked in".

mugaliens
2010-Jul-27, 08:40 PM

No suction, but there is turbulence which may help one fall. Mythbusters did that and suction was busted (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(2006_season)#Train_Suction).

This makes sense, and I do recall being a touch unstead on my feet as the higher-velocity trains passed by. I'd chalked it up to the visual kinetic of having a large area of one's vision roaring by.

Extravoice
2010-Jul-28, 02:08 PM
Sadly, sometimes people want the train to win.
"Suicide by train" (http://trentonian.com/articles/2010/07/28/news/doc4c4f559c19efe152503480.txt) has happened more than once at my local station.

NEOWatcher
2010-Aug-12, 04:14 PM
Sometimes the train doesn't even have to hurt someone...

Train Hopping Teens Call 911 on Themselves (http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-train-hopping-teens-geneva-txt,0,4245262.story)

The teen on the phone screams over the noise of the train that they're on a train and they don't know where they are.

The teens explained that they were crossing over the train in Buffalo when it started to move, and they couldn't get off. It hadn't stopped in more than 3 hours when the teens decided to call 911.

Fazor
2010-Aug-12, 04:26 PM
"Crossing over when it started to move and they couldn't get off." Don't know how much I believe *that*. More likely they wanted to hitch a ride down a ways, and didn't realize how hard it would be to get off once the train was at full speed. But whatever.

Oh, as a side-note, I got to call 911 yesterday to report a fire. Though it didn't end up being a fire. Nor did it end up being on the street that I told them I thought it was on . . . so I'm sure they appreciated the help. ;) (Long story sort-of-short; thick black smoke that appeared to be a block away on a residential side street, that actually turned out to be about 10 blocks away from the factory. Multiple people, myself included, reported the fire, but it turned out to have just been caused by the power-outage shutting down the furnace's venting system causing the smoke. They weren't sure there was ever a fire, last I heard, though they did evacuate as a precaution.)

Tog
2010-Aug-12, 04:43 PM
"Crossing over when it started to move and they couldn't get off." Don't know how much I believe *that*. More likely they wanted to hitch a ride down a ways, and didn't realize how hard it would be to get off once the train was at full speed. But whatever.

I dunno. Those trains have quite the acceleration. I can picture one starting out and pinning the kids to the back wall, their cheeks flapping from the g forces and...

Okay, I got further than I thought with a straight face. What's the 0 to 10 mph time for a train? 30 seconds?

Edit to add: Actually, I can picture the kids and a big bag o' weed or bottle of anything that made for sleepy-time. The wake up two hours later going 70 mph and need to come up with a story.

"Dude... tell them it just drove out from under us."
"Oh, we could totally own this rail road. They're kidnappers!"
"Yeah!"
High fives all around.

On a more serious note, we killed another one here in Utah this week. He pulled out around the concrete barrier to cut through the arms and the train hit his pick-up at an estimated 78 mph.

NEOWatcher
2010-Aug-12, 05:13 PM
Yes; I would think that it's more than just crossing a train. (Were these kids actually intelligent enough to cross the car rather than the coupler?)

What's the 0 to 10 mph time for a train? 30 seconds?
How about 0 to 88 miles per hour. "Marty, It runs on steam"

Anyway, some shorter ones can pick up fairly quickly.
A few weeks ago, I watched our local scenic train (http://www.cvsr.com/)* pull out of a station, and it was surprisingly quick. If they were caught by surprise, and hesitated, It's conceivable that it was too fast.
But I can't see the need of a short train taking such a long trip.

*about 6 cars and an engine at each end, but I doubt they use them both at the same time.

The year was 1970 when I was 8... I was on a PennCentral getting ready to switch trains in Buffalo on a trip to NYC. Since the family had so much luggage, we were slow in getting off. I actually jumped off just in time as it started up. (True story)

Tog
2010-Aug-12, 05:19 PM
That's the thing, if they were just crossing, I'd imagine them ducking under the cars or hopping the couplers. Climbing into a car just to pass through seems like a lot of extra work, unless the plan was to stay a while. Even as old, fat, and slow as I am now, I doubt I would have thought about the train moving while I was under it, and was actually cautious as a teen.

Jens
2010-Aug-13, 03:18 AM
I dunno. Those trains have quite the acceleration. I can picture one starting out and pinning the kids to the back wall, their cheeks flapping from the g forces and...

Maybe it was this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFY3sMf72s&feature=player_embedded). :)

Githyanki
2010-Aug-13, 03:54 AM
Trains don't win against Godzilla.
http://members.cox.net/data_storage_5/godzilla_eat_train.gif

Jens
2010-Aug-13, 03:58 AM
Trains don't win against Godzilla.

That may be true, but I wonder what his dentist bill was after that stunt.

swampyankee
2010-Aug-16, 12:33 PM
That may be true, but I wonder what his dentist bill was after that stunt.

Dr De Soto (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312611897/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0374418101&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=14PDRDED73TGM6YMHE96) has done somewhat analogous dental work.

NEOWatcher
2010-Aug-17, 04:13 PM
Another truck/train, with an inadequate excuse.
Amtrak train collides with truck (http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=7612434)

the truck driver told them he had the green light and was crossing the tracks when he heard the railroad crossing arm hit the back of the truck. He said he wasn't able to clear the tracks because traffic had him blocked in.
I assume the green light was at the intersection down the road a few hundred feet.
So; who cares if the light was green, if you don't have room to clear the tracks, don't go.

Fazor
2010-Aug-17, 04:47 PM
. . . if you don't have room to clear the tracks, don't go.

People don't understand that the same way they don't understand that you at least attempt to not block an ingress/egress when you stop, particularly if it's to a business or road.

NEOWatcher
2010-Aug-17, 04:56 PM
People don't understand that the same way they don't understand that you at least attempt to not block an ingress/egress when you stop, particularly if it's to a business or road.
Yeah; I was going to comment on that, but was starting to type too much to read.
At least when blocking a drive or an intersection*, you're just being rude and inconveniencing people**.

* Illegal in Ohio with the exception of waiting for a left turn (if I heard it right)
** At least if the adjacent traffic is stopped.

Githyanki
2010-Aug-19, 09:18 PM
I remember when I was in sixth grade a kid got caught on a train bridge and had to run for it like in Stand by Me, only he didn't make it and was struck. I was passing through that area and realized there's now a pathway where the kid landed. I remember when it happened, that I was mad at the kid; a week earlier, I was also on that same bridge and when a train came, I would hide in the guard rail and have the train pass by me at 40mph three or four feet in front of me. I show that kid to hide like I did in the structure, but he didn't do that a week later.

NEOWatcher
2010-Aug-27, 04:25 PM
The train even wins when it's only a ghost.
Amateur Ghost Hunter Struck, Killed By Train (http://www.wxii12.com/r/24782199/detail.html)

a group of 12 amateur ghost hunters who had gone to the railroad trestle at Buffalo Shoals Road. Redmond said the group was hoping to see a ghost train appear at the site of a train wreck that happened at the same location in 1891.
Hey; that's no ghost!!! It's the real thing. Run!!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/verschiedene/k065.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/verschiedene/h020.gif

I'd also like them to explain this.

is eerily similar to an incident that happened at the same location more than 100 years ago.
The train plunged off the bridge. How is that similar to a bunch of <???>s standing on a bridge.
And; the timing of it was not eerie at all. It was entirely planned.

Fazor
2010-Aug-27, 04:49 PM
Folklore websites claim the accident can be heard on each anniversary.
Maybe group A "ghost hunters*" are just hearing group B "ghost hunters" as they get run down each year.

*I hate the term "ghost hunter". It annoys me to no end! A few weeks ago we passed a car that had their company logo on the side--they were professional ghost hunters. Ugh. Their license plate was something like "Ecto 10". Sad.

Donnie B.
2010-Aug-27, 11:46 PM
Who you gonna call?

Extravoice
2010-Aug-30, 12:02 PM
We've had another apparent case of suicide by train.

Sadly, a trend seems to be forming where my local station is the place to go if you want to be struck by Amtrak's high-speed Acela train.

A person was struck and killed by an Amtrak train just outside the Hamilton train station this afternoon...Five such deaths have occurred near the Hamilton station since February.

link (http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/08/1_fatally_struck_by_amtrak_tra.html)

swampyankee
2010-Sep-01, 01:47 AM
All New Englanders will gladly give directions. This may not help -- we are rather notorious for giving directions like "turn left where the old chestnut tree used to be and take a right a piece past the old Mather homestead" -- but then GPS tends to get confused up here, too.

When I was commuting to NYC, there was a passenger who committed suicide by jumping out of one of the emergency exit windows at about 70mph. I was told by one of the conductors that do to this he crawled over two "sleeping" passengers.

This made me rather late getting home. By a coincidence, the 90+ year old woman who lived down the street was discovered dead in her home, so a policeman was trying to find information about her.

Policeman walking up to door, suicide reported on a train that I could have been on, and my wife leapt to the wrong conclusion. Funny in retrospect.

NEOWatcher
2010-Sep-09, 06:10 PM
Metrolink Train Hits 3 Teens, 2 Killed in Mission Viejo (http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-teens-killed-metrolink-train,0,3750978.story)

"We believe the teens may have fallen asleep on the tracks. There is no evidence alcohol was involved in the incident", Amormino said. The surviving victim did not have alcohol in her system, Amormino told reporters. Autopsies will be conducted, however, to determine if the victims were under the influence of any drugs or alcohol, he said.

I guess it's a natural thing to do. With that cold steal track, railroad ties, and gravel, it's a real comfortable place to sleep.

NEOWatcher
2010-Dec-06, 06:14 PM
Yep; another teen with earphones.

But; This teen actually took one out when she heard the train, and even looked back at it. It's here judgement that's at issue.
Ohio teen survives being hit by train (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40529182/ns/us_news-life/)

"It looked like it [the northbound train] was going slower than usual," she said. She told The Dispatch she thought she would be safe because a southbound train had passed her earlier and did not hit her.

So; she knows they travel faster, and still trusted her judgement.
And; bases her safety of this train based on another one that was on a different track*.

*I googled the area and saw the normal 2 track line with a 3rd parallel track.

NEOWatcher
2011-Jun-20, 05:49 PM
Cyclist killed after being struck by train at Denver light rail crossing (http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-cyclist-dies-rtd-denver-txt,0,2332026.story?hpt=us_bn7)

A freak accident claimed the life of a bicyclist [...] According to R.T.D., crossing arms were down and warning lights were on at the intersection.
I don't know about anyone else here, but my idea of a "freak" accident is one where some factor happens that is out of the ordinary.
I don't consider a train (even a second one) crossing an intersection while the warnings are active to be out of the ordinary.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Jun-20, 05:55 PM
Cyclist killed after being struck by train at Denver light rail crossing (http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-cyclist-dies-rtd-denver-txt,0,2332026.story?hpt=us_bn7)

I don't know about anyone else here, but my idea of a "freak" accident is one where some factor happens that is out of the ordinary.
I don't consider a train (even a second one) crossing an intersection while the warnings are active to be out of the ordinary.
It's a freak accident because a bicycle on the tracks when the warning against crossing is active is out of the ordinary? :)

NEOWatcher
2011-Jun-20, 06:09 PM
No matter how I try to word it in my mind, I don't think words convey my thinking correctly. Although; I suspect you know what I mean.

But; I can say that it seems like stupidity is not out of the ordinary. :p

Fazor
2011-Jun-20, 06:36 PM
Yeah; calling things "freak accidents" when they're just accidents is one of the many, many pet peeves of mine when it comes to media. We had one here the other day that said "Freak accident kills brother and sister" and I thought it'd be something like the stories you hear when the two are in different cars that happen to get involved in an accident with each other.

No, they were in the same car and in a relatively ordinary accident (one of the cars went left of center.) It's a horrible accident, and devastating for the family. But there's nothing "freak" about it.

NEOWatcher
2013-Mar-15, 04:22 PM
This guy must be absolutely shocked.
Husband watches as wife struck and killed by Metra train (http://wgntv.com/2013/03/14/woman-struck-and-killed-by-metra-train/?hpt=us_bn9)
The crossing gates that stop cars isn't for cars only

HenrikOlsen
2013-Mar-15, 05:56 PM
Shocked at what though?
He must have had some indication of her poor impulse control/decision making before.
I'm more angry at the damage she did to the train driver.

NEOWatcher
2013-Mar-15, 06:10 PM
Shocked at what though?
He must have had some indication of her poor impulse control/decision making before.
Possibly, but we don't know that.

I'm more angry at the damage she did to the train driver.
I agree from an impact point of view, but from a noteworthy perspective, it's more common for train drivers to experience any number of situations while this situation seems unusual and hard to predict.

Extravoice
2014-Mar-26, 01:22 PM
The train wins again. This time a guy was standing on the platform while leaning in the path of the oncoming train.
Four people were injured after being "struck by body parts." :surprised:
Link (http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2014/03/trespasser_incident_near_new_brunswick_train_stati on_causing_nj_transit_delays.html#incart_m-rpt-1)

DonM435
2014-Mar-26, 03:16 PM
Reminds me of that epitaph: "Here lies [X]. He looked up the shaft to see if the elevator was coming. It was."

publiusr
2014-Mar-29, 08:18 PM
The saddest instance was when a girl ran out in front of her father. One train was stopped, but there was a speeding locomotive right behind the obscuring train. Not pretty.

Hornblower
2014-Mar-31, 03:04 AM
I once took advantage of a passing train to avoid an obnoxious dog that had me cut off from where I wanted to go. The dog was just across the track and was snarling at me as I tried to approach. When the train came along I sprinted alongside it and got to the next street, outside the dog's alleged turf.

NEOWatcher
2014-Apr-17, 05:03 PM
In this one, it's not really the train, but the conductor that wins.

Conductor kicks teen taking selfie (http://time.com/?hpt=hp_t4#64904/train-conducter-kicks-teen-taking-selfie/)

“I tried to take a selfie while a train passed a ‘safe’ distance behind. I guess I was still too close and got kicked in the head. I messed up.”

It's hard to tell from the picture or the video, but from what I can tell he couldn't have been more than a foot from the train.
At least the kid says he messed up.

Now the conductor, while I applaud the idea, was wrong too. Just think of the liability because he intentionally made contact and bounce that against the tresspassing.

But; like many stories in the news nowadays, there is no sign of this being a real story (instead of staged). It's just an item of something found on a youtube video.

Extravoice
2014-Apr-17, 05:58 PM
Now the conductor, while I applaud the idea, was wrong too. Just think of the liability because he intentionally made contact and bounce that against the tresspassing.(emphasis added)

Based on the video, I'm not sure it was intentional. While the article says "trainís conductor lets out a yell and then sticks out his leg," he may simply have been hanging onto the train with his right leg on the step and the other dangling.

NEOWatcher
2014-Apr-17, 06:40 PM
(emphasis added)

Based on the video, I'm not sure it was intentional. While the article says "train’s conductor lets out a yell and then sticks out his leg," he may simply have been hanging onto the train with his right leg on the step and the other dangling.
So true. It is hard to tell. We don't even know if it was the conductor's yell.
I was able to stop it right at the point where the train came into view and it does look like his right leg was close enough to the edge of the platform that his left leg was free.
Although; I can't see why a conductor would be dangling his foot like that at that speed.

HenrikOlsen
2014-Apr-20, 12:23 AM
To quote JayUtah:
If you freeze-frame the point of contact, you see a large steel brace protruding from the locomotive. The engineer risked breaking his own leg by putting it in front of the brace so that it -- not the potentially fatal steel brace -- hit the kid's head.

Trebuchet
2014-Apr-20, 01:31 AM
To quote JayUtah:
If you freeze-frame the point of contact, you see a large steel brace protruding from the locomotive. The engineer risked breaking his own leg by putting it in front of the brace so that it -- not the potentially fatal steel brace -- hit the kid's head.

You've just reminded me that I don't think we've heard from Jay in quite a while. Not enough Hoax Believers, I guess.

NEOWatcher
2014-Apr-21, 06:47 PM
VIDEO: Senator nearly hit by train at press conference (http://wtnh.com/2014/04/18/video-close-call-sen-blumenthal-metro-north-presser/?hpt=us_bn7)

I'd like to know who thought it was a good idea to hold a press conference in such a tight space, and in a way that inconveniences the riders especially being at the exit of the platform.

Tog
2014-Apr-21, 07:43 PM
Apparently, the press conference was about the need for better safety measures for he trains. I'm guessing a brighter yellow stripe that tells people where not to stand might be in order. Or a laser that trigers a "STEP BACK!" recording when something breaks it. Or an IQ test puzzle to get the door to the platform open.

Trebuchet
2014-Apr-21, 07:59 PM
"Wotta Maroon!" (/Bugs Bunny)

Swift
2014-Apr-21, 09:00 PM
Apparently, the press conference was about the need for better safety measures for he trains.
Yeah, I heard about it this morning and that was absolutely the best part of it for me. Sort of like the instructor shooting themselves during the firearms safety training (and yes, that has happened too).

blueshift
2014-Apr-22, 04:13 AM
A fellow I worked with at the post office was hit by a train twice and survived both times. He was late for work each time and the city where we worked has 33 sets of RR crossings, increasing the odds of being slowed down for those in a rush. He went around the gates each time and was clipped in his rear bumper both times. He drank a lot and most of us thought he made up the story for being late until the cops verified it later. He had a lot of bruises and was out of work for a month each time.

Another incident involved the vehicle being shoved for 1/4 mile or more. That person survived but spent a lot of time in the hospital and rehab.

Chuck
2014-Apr-22, 08:53 AM
A woman was hit by a light rail train in Phoenix a few days ago. A news reporter said she's now getting her life back on track. That seems kind of insensitive.

Tog
2014-Apr-22, 09:11 AM
You know that feeling you get when you're sure there's one more step at the top of the staircase, then it turns out there's not, so you step and put your weight on nothing, then stomp on the upper landing?

I used to get something like that driving across railroad crossings. Every time I made is across one and the back of the car didn't get clipped by a train and send me spinning off to the side, it was like missing that last step. Something felt wrong. I don't recall when the sensation began or ended, exactly, but I know it lasted for several years. I'd approach a crossing, look both ways, drive across, and be utterly shocked that I made it. The thing I find the most odd of all was that the train I expected to hit me was always headed south. It wasn't consistently the driver's or passenger's side that felt like it should have been hit, it was the side facing north.

I don't recall ever having any kind of close call with a train.

Trebuchet
2014-Apr-22, 02:18 PM
"Dashcam" videos from locomotives can be pretty horrifying. The near-misses more so than the actual crashes, to me.

publiusr
2014-Apr-26, 06:15 PM
VIDEO: Senator nearly hit by train at press conference (http://wtnh.com/2014/04/18/video-close-call-sen-blumenthal-metro-north-presser/?hpt=us_bn7)

I'd like to know who thought it was a good idea to hold a press conference in such a tight space, and in a way that inconveniences the riders especially being at the exit of the platform.

It would have been even better if he had been bashing public transportation at the time...