PDA

View Full Version : How the Moon was Created?

qpalmer
2007-Oct-17, 11:22 PM
I am working on report due for class. One theory was that the Moon was created from a part of the Earth, another was that a gas ring with particles that was around the Earth formed together, and final theory is the impactor. Sources I have used have been text, internet, video and the History Channel. All of which gave relative information regarding how some these theories came about and how they where rule out. It is known that the Earth has a higher iron content then the Moon so if it where just a chunk of the earth it should have a similar amount of iron. That when the impactor theory came about. Back in the Earths beginning it was very volatile consisting of molten rock. No where in my research material did I find a theory about lighter less dense material collecting on the Earths surface and the Earths spin causing this material to form to such a large mass that the Earths spin would throw from the planet. If you look at metal refineries impurities rise to the surface while the denser metals stay at the bottom. So would it be possible that lighter matter (makings of the Moon) was sitting on the top of the Earths surface and that the spin of the Earth forced these materials together creating such a large mass that it caused separation? Has this been considered and I missed it? That would explain such the low iron content because only a small would be transferred during the separation. Also that the Moon is slowly moving away from the Earth could be caused by separation. Let me know.:)

antoniseb
2007-Oct-17, 11:41 PM
The Wikipedia entry on the formation of the Moon is probably pretty worth reading. The Mars-sized impactor theory is the current mainstream idea. If you ask short specific questions you'll get more detailed answers.

2007-Oct-17, 11:44 PM
So would it be possible that lighter matter (makings of the Moon) was sitting on the top of the Earths surface and that the spin of the Earth forced these materials together creating such a large mass that it caused separation?

NASA StarChild Question of the Month for October 2001 (http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/StarChild/questions/question38.html)

Where did the Moon come from?
[...]
The Fission Theory: This theory proposes that the Moon was once part of the Earth and somehow separated from the Earth early in the history of the solar system. The present Pacific Ocean basin is the most popular site for the part of the Earth from which the Moon came. This theory was thought possible since the Moon's composition resembles that of the Earth's mantle and a rapidly spinning Earth could have cast off the Moon from its outer layers. However, the present-day Earth-Moon system should contain "fossil evidence" of this rapid spin and it does not. Also, this hypothesis does not have a natural explanation for the extra baking the lunar material has received.

jlhredshift
2007-Oct-18, 12:18 AM
I am working on report due for class. One theory was that the Moon was created from a part of the Earth, another was that a gas ring with particles that was around the Earth formed together, and final theory is the impactor. Sources I have used have been text, internet, video and the History Channel. All of which gave relative information regarding how some these theories came about and how they where rule out. It is known that the Earth has a higher iron content then the Moon so if it where just a chunk of the earth it should have a similar amount of iron. That when the impactor theory came about. Back in the Earths beginning it was very volatile consisting of molten rock. No where in my research material did I find a theory about lighter less dense material collecting on the Earths surface and the Earths spin causing this material to form to such a large mass that the Earths spin would throw from the planet. If you look at metal refineries impurities rise to the surface while the denser metals stay at the bottom. So would it be possible that lighter matter (makings of the Moon) was sitting on the top of the Earths surface and that the spin of the Earth forced these materials together creating such a large mass that it caused separation? Has this been considered and I missed it? That would explain such the low iron content because only a small would be transferred during the separation. Also that the Moon is slowly moving away from the Earth could be caused by separation. Let me know.:)

This book and web site will answer all your questions.

The Big Splat (http://www.danamackenzie.com/books.htm)

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Oct-18, 12:27 AM
This book and web site will answer all your questions.

The Big Splat (http://www.danamackenzie.com/books.htm)
The appendix will answer Bart's Sibrels points as well.

jlhredshift
2007-Oct-18, 01:23 AM
The appendix will answer Bart's Sibrels points as well.

Another book that I dearly would like to own is:

Origin of the Moon (Hardcover)
by William K. Hartmann (Editor)

I've only seen it at the library. It too answers a lot of those questions in detail.
If someone is looking for a seasonal gift to me, that would be it!:lol: