PDA

View Full Version : Europe floats future space ideas

Sticks
2007-Oct-20, 05:56 PM
From BBC News Online (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7053057.stm)

A mission could be launched before the end of the next decade to put a balloon on Titan, the hazy Saturnian moon.

The balloon is one of several ideas being considered by the European Space Agency as it sketches out where its science should be focussed in future.

Other proposals include an X-ray telescope that flies in two parts; and a sample-return mission to an asteroid.

All the ideas will be subjected to further study; and are likely to evolve as international partners get involved.

Launch window
2007-Oct-21, 09:44 AM
I wonder what the "dark matter" and "dark energy" missions would be

JonClarke
2007-Oct-21, 10:10 AM
I wonder what the "dark matter" and "dark energy" missions would be

From the ESA web site:

Two proposals have been received (Dune, the dark universe investigator and SPACE, the new near-infrared all-sky cosmic explorer) addressing the study of dark matter and dark energy - a hot topic in astronomy. While they propose to use different techniques (Dune is proposed as a a wide-field imager, while Space is proposed as a near-Infrared all-sky surveyor), they address the same basic science goal. In the follow-up study phase a trade-off will be performed leading to the definition in the spring of next year of a proposal for a European dark energy mission to go forward in competition.

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEM1IQAMS7F_index_0.html

IsaacKuo
2007-Oct-23, 08:07 PM
That X-ray telescope idea sounds really exciting if they do it. The same sort of two satellite formation could be used for large fresnel "eyeglass" telescope or even larger "loopglass" telescopes for multi-pixel exoplanet imaging.

tusenfem
2007-Oct-24, 09:31 AM
Laplace Laplace Laplace Laplace Laplace
please please please please

I have spend too much time on this for it not to get awarded :-)
Although, if it really would fly I would have to work past retirement age, first data would arrive when I am 67.