PDA

View Full Version : Columbia accident news and analysis

ToSeek
2003-Jul-24, 04:50 PM
Post-Columbia NASA hunkers down (http://www.msnbc.com/news/943305.asp?cp1=1) - our own Jim Oberg weighs in.

Doodler
2003-Jul-24, 05:17 PM
So much for full cooperation, NASA isn't going to work with the Gehman commission if they perceive this thing becoming a witch hunt.

tracer
2003-Jul-24, 08:08 PM
The Columbia crew didn't have an MMU on this mission, did they? I mean, it's not like they could just run outside and inspect the damage where the foam had hit, let alone cover the hole with anything that could withstand reentry.

man on the moon
2003-Jul-24, 09:04 PM
probably not fix it right then, but there was talk afterward that another shuttle might have been pushed to launch and rescued and/or repaired them. obiviously, this didn't happen. (imagine that...two shuttles up at once! :D )

tracer
2003-Jul-24, 10:08 PM
I can see it now: "In the rush to get Endeavor up into orbit to rescue the crew of the Columbia, we had a repeat of the Challenger, and now two more astronauts are lost."

daver
2003-Jul-25, 06:23 PM
probably not fix it right then, but there was talk afterward that another shuttle might have been pushed to launch and rescued and/or repaired them. obiviously, this didn't happen. (imagine that...two shuttles up at once! :D )

No repair possible. The only possible mission would have been a rescue mission--bring the crew back and leave Columbia in orbit.

And Tracer's alternative would have been on everyone's mind--you don't want your rescue mission to result in the loss of two crews (something like rule 1 of first aid/rescue--don't create more victims). At that time they had no indication whether the process that led to the huge piece of foam flaking off and striking Columbia was a fluke (maybe 50 or 100:1 odds) or an indication of some newly introduced weakness (maybe 3:1 odds).

Irishman
2003-Jul-27, 04:08 AM
Funny, when the Gelman commission was announced, people were complaining it was a NASA whitewash, that it wasn't independent, that the panel members were being paid by NASA they can't possibly be objective. Now we see suggestions that the panel will be very critical of NASA. What fun.

Musashi
2003-Jul-27, 05:11 AM
No repair possible.

Yeah, I hear people occasionaly say, "Why didn't they just fix it before reentry?" When I ask them how, it becomes apparent that they have no idea what it would entail to repair the tiles in orbit. "Oh, just glue some new tiles on?" With what? I don't know, but do we even have any kind of epoxy that would work in space? And would it hold up during reentry? Heck, any repair attempts probably would have made things worse.

wedgebert
2003-Jul-27, 05:16 AM
This is why I think we should take members of PETA or ApolloHoax/NASAScammers on each space flight.

If we encounter a problem like this, we just strap them to the damaged section and problem solved.

Their heads and skins are so thick from dealing with people who confront them with mere "facts" and "science" that they'd easily survive the heat of re-entry.

And if they accidently "fall off" and plunge into the depths of the ocean once the oribter is safe, well at least the did ONE useful thing in their lives.

Musashi
2003-Jul-27, 05:23 AM
I second that motion! :D

ToSeek
2003-Aug-01, 05:28 PM
NASA may limit landings at KSC (http://www.floridatoday.com/news/space/stories/2003b/073103NASAlimit.htm)

Else next time (though let's hope there is no next time) it could be Dallas-Fort Worth instead of Nacogdoches that gets hit with debris.

Doodler
2003-Aug-01, 07:36 PM
NASA may limit landings at KSC (http://www.floridatoday.com/news/space/stories/2003b/073103NASAlimit.htm)

Else next time (though let's hope there is no next time) it could be Dallas-Fort Worth instead of Nacogdoches that gets hit with debris.

There'll be a next time, its just a matter of time. Not a bad idea to be prepared for it.