PDA

View Full Version : Viewing the planets Jupiter and Mercury

kilopi
2003-Jul-24, 10:33 PM
Tonight, tomorrow, and the next night, Mercury is very close to Jupiter, and they both set about an hour after the Sun (somewhat depending on where you live). Tomorrow, they'll be less than the width of the moon apart.

PS: I was able to see Jupiter naked-eye just after 9pm, about 6 degrees above the horizon, and only a couple degrees above a thick bank of clouds. Mercury was below and to the right, but I never managed to pick it out naked eye, although it was easy enough in the binoculars.

I was above a swimming pool deck, with all sorts of deck lights on, so if you have clear skies, you should be able to see them, a bit to the north of west.

Dickenmeyer
2003-Jul-25, 03:21 AM
I finished mowing the lawn about 8:30 tonight and Jupiter was very plain low in the west. Didn't know about Mercury or I would have looked. Perhaps I'll try tomorrow.

kilopi
2003-Jul-25, 08:36 AM
I see that the sun set at 8:05 in McCordsville, and Jupiter set around 9:10. The sun set at 8:27 here, so I saw Jupiter at about the same height you did. Mercury will be less than a half degree away, to the right, from Jupiter tonight. As you noticed, it's not as easy to see, being more than a magnitude dimmer. Tomorrow night, they'll again be more than a degree apart.

Some people have never seen Mercury. It'll get farther and farther away from the sun in the sky over the next three weeks, and it'll be somewhat easier to see even though it actually gets dimmer and dimmer. Jupiter will make it very easy to find tonight.

Mainframes
2003-Jul-25, 09:03 AM
It would be lovely to go and take a look but due to godforsaken country I live in it is heavily overcast with the likelehood of it being this way for a good long time :evil:

Oh well I did see mercury a couple of months back so I can't complain too much.

Dickenmeyer
2003-Jul-27, 04:33 AM
The little Skywatch column on the weather page of our local newspaper mentioned Jupiter and Mercury today. Unfortunately I have been thwarted by clouds the last two days.

ToSeek
2003-Jul-27, 02:31 PM
Some people have never seen Mercury. It'll get farther and farther away from the sun in the sky over the next three weeks, and it'll be somewhat easier to see even though it actually gets dimmer and dimmer. Jupiter will make it very easy to find tonight.

I had never seen Mercury until I saw it during a total solar eclipse a few years ago. However, I believe I saw it a few months ago from here right after sunset.

dgruss23
2003-Jul-27, 03:55 PM
I saw Mercury a few times as a teenager - but not since.