PDA

View Full Version : Bigelow offers three quarters of a billion for spaceship

Van Rijn
2007-Oct-27, 05:21 AM
I don't think anyone's mentioned this here yet, but Bigelow, the fellow who is working on private space stations is offering a contract for transportation to his station. From here:

http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn12836-bigelow-aerospace-to-offer-760-million-for-new-spaceship.html

Bigelow Aerospace intends to spur development of a commercial space vehicle to take people into Earth orbit by offering to sign a contract worth $760 million with any company that can meet their criteria, company president Robert Bigelow says.
[snip]
Affordable launch vehicles, along with the space stations Bigelow plans to launch, could allow the number of astronauts worldwide to swell from the couple hundred or so now to a couple thousand, he said.

"But we can't even start to queue that up if we can't say there's a transportation system in process and here's all the details about it, here's what your seat cost is going to be, here's what's the architectures looks like, here's who's manufacturing it," he said.

Once that process gets started, potential customers may then have the confidence to sign contracts for future use of the stations, he said: "It's a bit of a chicken or egg thing."

I'm so much more optimistic about space these days . . .

Noclevername
2007-Oct-27, 05:23 AM
:clap::clap::clap:

(It's not yet at the point of :dance::dance::dance:, but it looks like it's on the way there.)

Van Rijn
2007-Oct-27, 05:44 AM
Sure, it's still precarious, but there seems to be real progress.

KaiYeves
2007-Oct-27, 11:41 PM
"Get up, up, up, 'cause here we come
Dance, dance, dance and have some fun
Six, five, four, three, two, one-
Get up, get up!"

Doodler
2007-Oct-28, 01:08 AM
As of right now, I'm starting my plans to retire in space...

djellison
2007-Oct-28, 09:12 AM
Space X's Falcon 9 + Dragon will probably fit the bill - it should work well.

Doug

publiusr
2007-Dec-07, 07:17 PM
That is a Delta IV killer--and unlike D-IV, F-9 has engine-out.
http://www.spacex.com/falcon9.php