PDA

View Full Version : Sputnik 2 - 50th Anniversary - First Animal to Blast Into Space - Laika (3/11/1957)

jkmccrann
2007-Oct-27, 11:05 AM
Ok, folks - looks like we have another significant Anniversary coming up.

In a week, it is the 50th Anniversary of the first trip into Space of a live animal from Planet Earth! The 50th Anniversary of Sputnik 2! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sputnik_2)

Laika (from Russian: Лайка, a breed of dog, literally: "Barker") was a Russian space dog which became the first living creature from Earth to enter orbit. At one time a stray wandering the streets of Moscow, she was selected from an animal shelter. Originally named Kudryavka (Russian: кудрявка), she was renamed Laika after her breed type. After undergoing training with two other dogs, she was selected to be the occupant of the Soviet spacecraft Sputnik 2 and was launched into space on 3 November 1957.

Not a bad rise from being a stray wandering the streets of Moscow!

antoniseb
2007-Oct-27, 12:05 PM
It didn't end well for her, but yes, it was very dramatic to launch a dog into space so soon after Sputnik 1.

Romanus
2007-Oct-27, 02:07 PM
I think the inimitable The Onion put it best, in Our Dumb Century: "Soviet Space Program Ahead in Dog-Killing Race".

;)

Palomar
2007-Oct-27, 03:21 PM
Laika (from Russian: Лайка, a breed of dog, literally: "Barker")

I didn't know the interpretation of her name until now. Wow, that really wasn't very original was it?

was a Russian space dog which became the first living creature from Earth to enter orbit.

Yep. She should have an asteroid named in her honor, or a crater on Moon/whatever, if not already. Probably has. Will Google to find out.

Ronald Brak
2007-Oct-27, 03:35 PM
was a Russian space dog which became the first living creature from Earth to enter orbit.

Sorry Mister Procaryote, the mammals have overlooked you and honoured one of their own again. What's that? What do you mean you're going to get another agent? I got you your own domain, didn't I?

novaderrik
2007-Oct-27, 04:09 PM
I think the inimitable The Onion put it best, in Our Dumb Century: "Soviet Space Program Ahead in Dog-Killing Race".

;)

but didn't the US beat them in the chimp killing race?

Ronald Brak
2007-Oct-27, 04:30 PM
but didn't the US beat them in the chimp killing race?

No, the U.S. tried to squash a chimp on launch but he made it back alive. The Russians shook their heads in disgust and said, "If we wanted to squash a chimp we would have done it properly and put a 400 pound weight in the capsule above his head. The imperialist running pig dog lackeys are such amatures."

KaiYeves
2007-Oct-27, 11:37 PM
Silly guys. We all know that Laika flew the capsule. ;-)
Just like the sled dogs mounted the expedition to the South Pole and brought Admunsen along to feed them.
;-D