PDA

View Full Version : Ray Bradbury Time

Maksutov
2007-Oct-28, 10:47 AM
As is the custom this time of year, I've retrieved my worn-out copy of The October Country by Ray Bradbury and read it through. As usual, "Uncle Einar" and "Homecoming" always get to me the most. Re the latter, I was in Salem at the appropriate time in 1970, and had the feeling Ray was there too. Hey, we're all Family.

Thank you, Mr. Bradbury. May your voices always speak to you.

Anyone have other Bradbury favorites?

Paracelsus
2007-Oct-28, 12:29 PM
I adore The Martian Chronicles and S is for Space. I remember staying up all night on a school night in my freshman year of high school to read the first book.

KaiYeves
2007-Oct-28, 12:49 PM
I remember staying up all night on a school night in my freshman year of high school to read the first book.
I almost did that with the second Harry Potter book in third grade.

mike alexander
2007-Oct-28, 02:32 PM
Ah. Of my dozen or so favorite stories they are mostly Bradbury. My copy of The October Country (with the Goya dustjacket) is spine-cracked and coffee-spotted.

"Uncle Einar", which I first read somewhere around sixth grade and probably fifty times since, is simply the most amazing love story I can think of (With the possible exception of "A Medicine for Melancholy", which knits a lovely tapestry from the crudest suggestion available).

God up the chimney!

mike alexander
2007-Oct-28, 03:09 PM
The Golden Apples of the Sun: "North," murmurred the Captain. "North."

In a Season of Calm Weather: "It's just the tide," he said.

The Murderer: "Why did you use French Vanilla ice cream?"

The Anthem Sprinters - ah, Deanna Durbin!
The Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl
The Wonderful Death of Dudley Stone
A Miracle of Rare Device - In Xanadu did Kubla Khan..
The Fog Horn
The End of the Beginning - then he finished cutting the grass
Powerhouse
The April Witch - Cecy, always loved Cecy
The Machineries of Joy - Blake never visited Dublin
The Big Black and White Game - gonna dance out both o' my shoes...
The Beggar on O'Connell Bridge
The Terrible Conflagration Up at the Place

I Sing the Body Electric! - another of his amazing love stories. Which also introduced me to one of Whitman's greatest poems. The image of the robot grandmothers sitting in rocking chairs, knitting and talking about their families is... amazing, perfect, makes you smile and cry.

Enough for now

Tinaa
2007-Oct-28, 03:25 PM
In elementary school we read All Summer in a Day. The story seemed so sad but I've loved sci-fi ever since .

Noclevername
2007-Oct-28, 06:14 PM
I've got to be in the right mood to read Bradbury. Sometimes I'm into it, other times it just doesn't click.

Since I've started medication I haven't read any Bradbury. Does that say more about me or him?

Gillianren
2007-Oct-28, 08:30 PM
I must confess that I haven't read much Bradbury. However, I do have a great love of Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Jeff Root
2007-Oct-28, 11:07 PM
October the 28th is too late.

Maksutov
2007-Oct-29, 12:21 AM
It's never too late to check out the illustrations the man has to offer.

mike alexander
2007-Oct-29, 01:23 AM
The Kilimanjaro Machine. Just the concept of going back in time to help a man die the right way...

Gemini
2007-Oct-29, 03:54 AM
"I Sing the Body Electric!" was made into an episode of the Twilight Zone IIRC.

hhEb09'1
2007-Oct-29, 06:18 AM
The Kilimanjaro Machine. Just the concept of going back in time to help a man die the right way...I forget, how's that go? "never met a good writer who was a good talker..." or something like that

Fazor
2007-Oct-29, 02:25 PM
As is the custom this time of year, I've retrieved my worn-out copy of The October Country by Ray Bradbury and read it through. As usual, "Uncle Einar" and "Homecoming" always get to me the most. Re the latter, I was in Salem at the appropriate time in 1970, and had the feeling Ray was there too. Hey, we're all Family.

Anyone have other Bradbury favorites?

Lets see. I own the October Country, The Illustrated Man, One More for the Road, A Medicine for Mealoncholy, Golden Apples of the Sun, Driving Blind, I Sing the Body Electric, Quicker Than the Eye, and Ray Bradbury: 100 of his Most Celebrated Tales. (and yes I have read them all cover to cover)
I have a hard time picking a favorite short story. They're not all amazing, but they're all works of art. Honestly, Homecoming wasn't one of my favorites. Any of his stories that take place in Ireland I enjoy; his love for the country really shows. I forget the name, but the story about the night watchman and the movie studio that was to be bulldozed was great. So many of them have such deep insight into the human psyche; almost a child-like introversion and ability to see us for what we really are.

The funny thing is, I've only read pieces of Ferenheit back in Highschool as part of a Litt class, and I've never read any of his full novels. I have "Something Wicked" on my waiting list for my next Amazon order, but I have some other stuff I've started at home that I want to finish before I buy any new books.

mike alexander
2007-Oct-29, 08:36 PM
The night watchman on the movie set was "The Meadow", as I recall

And the incredible, amazing, surreal "Wonderful Ice Cream Suit".

Paul Beardsley
2007-Oct-29, 09:23 PM
When I first read Bradbury, I missed an awful lot of references coz I was young (about 14) and hadn't read much fiction, let alone literary classics. I had no idea The Kilimanjaro Device was about Hemingway, for instance - I'd probably not even heard of him!

About six years later, my girlfriend and I returned to her house after a trip to the cinema, where her mother made a reference to sprinting out before the National Anthem plays. I suddenly realised, then, that "The Anthem Sprinters" was about people who really did that! It was quite a turning point.

Gillianren
2007-Oct-30, 03:25 AM
I wish I hadn't heard of Hemingway . . . .

sarongsong
2007-Oct-30, 04:11 AM
I've got to be in the right mood to read Bradbury...Here's a free 54-minute booster shot:
An Evening with Ray Bradbury (http://uctv.ucsd.edu/library-series.asp?detail=02&showID=5533) [2001]

AndreH
2007-Oct-30, 12:31 PM
I myself only read the Chronicles and Fahrenheit

What would you recommend? I think it's time to read an SF classical, maybe during Christmas holidays.

Fazor
2007-Oct-30, 01:40 PM
The night watchman on the movie set was "The Meadow", as I recall

And the incredible, amazing, surreal "Wonderful Ice Cream Suit".

Both of those stories exemplify how he can take genuine, typical, everyday human nature and emotion and spin it into a surreal, almost fantasy quality, yet still keep it believable and real. Almost like a dream; where everything is different but normal.