PDA

View Full Version : Holmes from Renton, WA

tegwilym
2007-Oct-29, 06:33 AM
Here is my attempt at the strange comet. I only got one somewhat good night to image this thing on Friday, so I don't have anything else to see it expanding. I'm near Seatttle....need I say more about our night skies? :lol:
Looks very yellow in binoculars, but with the scope it seems to lose that color. Probably since it's a SCT. Anyway, here it is.....

http://eastsideastro.org/observatory/solarsystem/holms-3sec-200x12-proc.jpg

Tom
www.eastsideastro.org/observatory

Tucson_Tim
2007-Oct-29, 04:07 PM
Here is my attempt at the strange comet. I only got one somewhat good night to image this thing on Friday, so I don't have anything else to see it expanding. I'm near Seatttle....need I say more about our night skies? :lol:
Looks very yellow in binoculars, but with the scope it seems to lose that color. Probably since it's a SCT. Anyway, here it is.....

Tom

Great picture!

It does seem yellow in binoculars but, as in yours, the yellow is gone from the photos.

Why does a SCT remove the yellow color?

tegwilym
2007-Oct-29, 05:45 PM
Great picture!

It does seem yellow in binoculars but, as in yours, the yellow is gone from the photos.

Why does a SCT remove the yellow color?

I think it does change colors a bit. I've seen a lot of other people's images and they look similar to mine. A Maksutov or maybe an Apo refractor are probably better for holding the colors. I could tweak my data, but then I'm sure I'll mess it up badly!
I do have an Orion 80ED scope that I need to try this on....just need clear skies!

Tom

Tucson_Tim
2007-Oct-29, 05:56 PM
I think it does change colors a bit. I've seen a lot of other people's images and they look similar to mine. A Maksutov or maybe an Apo refractor are probably better for holding the colors. I could tweak my data, but then I'm sure I'll mess it up badly!
I do have an Orion 80ED scope that I need to try this on....just need clear skies!

Tom

Thanks Tom. I was just curious. We'll be waiting for you to post some more . . .

tegwilym
2007-Oct-29, 05:59 PM
I hope so!
I saw it last night (too late, I had to sleep and get to work) and it did look even bigger. I may have a chance tonight or tomorrow again if the forecast works out like it may.

Tom

johndavid24
2007-Oct-29, 06:57 PM
where is it located approx?

Tucson_Tim
2007-Oct-29, 07:13 PM
where is it located approx?

In Perseus - NE sky in the early evening.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/home/10775326.html

Future prospects. The comet is likely to stay bright for many days or weeks. The yellow color is dust reflecting sunlight, as confirmed by the spectra that have been taken. Dust is what keeps a comet bright as opposed to gas (comet gas is green and blue), which blows away quickly in the solar wind. This comet won't fade out soon.

Any tail will probably be short and stubby when, or if, it forms. The tail should be pointing nearly away from us in space we're looking down its length since the comet is nearly on the opposite side of Earth from the Sun. From the comet's viewpoint, the Earth and Sun are only about 15 apart, and this phase angle will stay small for many months. So we'll keep looking down the tail.

Welcome to the forum!

JAICOA
2007-Oct-30, 02:15 PM
A Great shot Tom! On the color most likely is the camera (One Shot) When i processed my photo all colors combined (LRGB) it showed as a Yellow Mustard color and i used a Sct. But anyway it's a sharp photo you have there. Clear Skies