PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Coca Cola and the Austin Sky line

crosscountry
2007-Oct-29, 06:46 PM
What do those two things have in common? Not much really except that I can now buy coca cola made (with real sugar) in Mexico here in Austin. It's great! My favorite will always be the German coca cola in the beer machine in my dorm last year, but this is also good.

Read about it and see pics here.
http://www.blog.crosscountryadventures.us/

Neverfly
2007-Oct-29, 06:48 PM
Now if only we didn't have to drive to Waco for Dr pepper made with real sugar:p

crosscountry
2007-Oct-29, 07:04 PM
Dublin, Tx makes it. It's good too!

I'm more of a DP fan, but coke with sugar is hard to beat.

DyerWolf
2007-Oct-29, 07:26 PM
They sell that here too - but when I saw the sticker - it still read "...corn syrup or other sugars."

Does your bottle read the same - or does it say Cane Sugar?

*** note - you can also get Passover Coke in many markets - but that's made with beet sugar, which is not quite the clean flavor of cane sugar.

Still - the Mexican coke with cane sugar and Passover coke with beet sugar tastes better (and doesn't have the aftertaste) than Coke Classic (which... it is not).

crosscountry
2007-Oct-29, 07:54 PM
this bottle says water, sugar, caramel color, phosphoric acid, natural flavors, caffeine

Beat sugar is very popular in Europe where they don't have our warm wet- climate. It does taste good though, and like I said, German coke is my favorite.

Whirlpool
2007-Oct-30, 06:58 AM
Is there a Texan Coca- cola?

;)

Kaptain K
2007-Oct-30, 10:21 AM
Mexican brands are taking over Austin groceries. I have seen product in the HEB without a single word of English on them. If I was Hispanic, I'd be more than a little ticked - "Hey, we're too stupid to translate from English, but those gringos are so smart that they have no trouble translating Spanish".

crosscountry
2007-Oct-30, 03:45 PM
I think they like it. Ever been to a Fiesta grocery store? Great prices, but you may not understand anything.

Is there a Texan Coca- cola?

;)

not that I know of. But Dr. Pepper is "brewed" here in Dublin, Texas, and in a region north west of Waco you an get that with real sugar.

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Oct-30, 04:12 PM
I've never been able to tell the difference between Canadian (sugar) and American (corn syrup) Coca Cola. It just tastes the same to me. How are they supposed to taste different?

novaderrik
2007-Oct-30, 10:20 PM
there is a grocery store near me that has Mexican Coca Cola in 12 oz glass bottles. it is in the "ethnic" aisle between the tortillas and Chow Mein noodles.

mike alexander
2007-Oct-31, 12:03 AM
Crosscountry wrote:
Beat sugar is very popular in Europe

Cool, Daddy-O!

crosscountry
2007-Oct-31, 12:37 AM
12oz bottles? that's different.

This one was a half liter.

Of course some of my favorite beers come in 12oz bottles and Mexico

Whirlpool
2007-Oct-31, 10:38 AM
Yeah , I was wondering too, if it's Coca-cola, why would there be a Mexican Coke , or a Canadian Coke, if it came from one company only , so they should have one standard taste right ?

I'm just curious.

:think:

triplebird
2007-Oct-31, 12:46 PM
there is a grocery store near me that has Mexican Coca Cola in 12 oz glass bottles. it is in the "ethnic" aisle between the tortillas and Chow Mein noodles.

Same here; you can also find Mexican brands of soda like Jarritos too. Both of which are substantially more expensive than the American-spec stuff a few aisles away. Mexican Coke here comes in 500ml bottles (about 17 oz) rather than 12 oz. I should get a Mexican Coke and an American one and taste them side-by-side, since I never really have noticed a difference.

...if it's Coca-cola, why would there be a Mexican Coke , or a Canadian Coke, if it came from one company only , so they should have one standard taste right?

Each "version" is made in a different bottling plant, and individual bottlers have some leeway on sweetener, dilution, etc.

DyerWolf
2007-Oct-31, 03:03 PM
Don't just compare the taste - focus on the bite and aftertaste.

The cane sugar cokes have a different degree of sweetness, bite and aftertaste than do the corn syrup cokes.

Not everyone can taste the difference.*

Personally I'd pay $1.00 for a good old-school cane-sugar coke in a glass bottle, even if I could get the same amount of coke for $.50 made with corn syrup sold in a plastic bottle or can.

I mean, please, Coors, Anheuser-Busch, and Miller sell truckloads of cheap beer every year... why???

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Oct-31, 03:40 PM
I'm with you on the glass bottle. Everything tastes better from a glass bottle - beer, ketchup, coke. Luckily, you can get glass-bottled sugar Coke here...

crosscountry
2007-Oct-31, 03:44 PM
Yeah , I was wondering too, if it's Coca-cola, why would there be a Mexican Coke , or a Canadian Coke, if it came from one company only , so they should have one standard taste right ?

I'm just curious.

:think:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola

There is also some concern regarding the usage of high fructose corn syrup in the production of Coca-Cola. Since 1985 in the U.S., Coke has been made with high fructose corn syrup, instead of sugar glucose or fructose, to reduce costs. This has come under criticism because of concerns that the corn used to produce corn syrup may come from genetically altered plants. Some nutritionists also caution against consumption of high fructose corn syrup because of possible links to obesity and type-2 diabetes.

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Oct-31, 03:52 PM
Interestingly, that may change. Corn is increasingly being diverted to ethanol production and away from food production. That will drive costs up. If it suddenly becomes more expensive than cane sugar...

DyerWolf
2007-Oct-31, 04:06 PM
Don't bet on it. Can sugar is granular - and gums up the machinery more than corn syrup.

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Oct-31, 04:35 PM
Odd that it would be used at all, then.

crosscountry
2007-Oct-31, 04:40 PM
and logic prevails.

DyerWolf
2007-Oct-31, 05:10 PM
-- I guess I should have elaborated. The US soda manufacturers retooled to use syrup (their previous machinery would handle the sugar just fine). As I understand it, a sugar-tooled plant can pump syrup, but a syrup-tooled plant can't pump sugar w/o risk of clogs.

IIRC the reason Mexico uses sugar follows the same logic wrt the US's use of corn syrup - a large domestic farming base (US=corn, Mexico=Cane).

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Oct-31, 09:13 PM
Got it, thanks.

DyerWolf
2007-Nov-01, 07:46 PM
And Columbia = 'caine - the original "classic" coke ingredient.

EricM407
2007-Nov-06, 11:33 PM
I'm with you on the glass bottle. Everything tastes better from a glass bottle - beer, ketchup, coke.

And milk! It's never as cold if it's not in a glass bottle. I don't care what a thermometer says, it's just not.

But I think you might be mistaken about beer. It tastes best in a pint glass after being drawn from a keg. Using nitrogen for pressure, of course. Can't get the same thing from a bottle.

crosscountry
2007-Nov-07, 12:10 AM
beer has too much variablility. good beers might come in bottles or kegs, bad beers might come in glass bottles or cans.

good beer beats bad beer no matter the media.

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Nov-07, 12:46 AM
Well, the best beer is one that hasn't been mass-produced at all. It can't be pasteurized. It needs to be brewed then left in a bottle to age.