PDA

View Full Version : The Colours of the Moon

reckless
2007-Oct-30, 11:24 AM
The Moon captured on 25th October 2007 from Conon Bridge, Scotland when it was at perigee (closest to the Earth), 14% larger and 30% brighter than when it is at apogee (furthest from the Earth).

Usually we see the Moon only as a very bright white object in the sky and when we image it we have been taught to desaturate it to bring out the contrast between all the features on the Moon's surface. Most of us have the impression of a drab monochrome grey world when, in fact, the Moon is a mass of naturally contrasting colours arising from the minerals which once spewed out of its volcanic origins and those which arrived there from other more distant worlds and violently impacted upon its surface.

The advent of high performace digital cameras and sophisticated image processing software has enabled the amateur astrophotographers among us to reveal this beautiful coloured neighbour of ours.

Canon EOS 400D with 70-300mm Sigma APO Macro telephoto zoom at full zoom. ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/400 sec. 20 images stacked using Registax, processed using Photoshop CS and NeatImage. Colour enhancement technique described by Filipe Alves (http://www.colormoon.pt.to/).

Eric

mahesh
2007-Oct-30, 12:31 PM
Excellent composition Eric!

Interesting link.
Thanks for sharing it all.

JAICOA
2007-Oct-30, 02:39 PM
Very very nice! shot of the full moon with lots of details easily seen. You did great. Clear Skies

Tucson_Tim
2007-Oct-30, 04:55 PM
The colors bring out more detail. Very nice!

Shahriar.D
2007-Oct-31, 07:50 PM
Very nice!
My Moon in color shot: http://www.astro.ir/AstronomicalGallery/FullMoon-May2,07.htm

winensky
2007-Nov-01, 12:30 AM
Just lovely. I have often tried to get more colour from my lunar pics by seriously reducing exposure times but the longer wavelengths never come out.
Thanks for the reference.

Kind regards
Matt

suntrack2
2007-Nov-01, 04:49 PM
Eric, I am frankly speaking that I have never seen such a nice images and so much clear images of the moon, infact moon is chief object in the sky and it is marvelous for our eyes, hence I like moon's images very much.

Thanks for your exact click on the moon. :)

sunil