PDA

View Full Version : Happy Halloween Folks

crosscountry
2007-Oct-31, 04:14 PM
http://canal-h.net/webs/rguerrero001/Halloween.jpg

Paracelsus
2007-Oct-31, 06:50 PM
Happy Halloween! :)

I got a pair of devil horns to wear to work today, but the dog ate them before I could wear them.

Noclevername
2007-Oct-31, 06:51 PM
Happy Halloween! :)

I got a pair of devil horns to wear to work today, but the dog ate them before I could wear them.

This too shall pass.

Gillianren
2007-Oct-31, 07:25 PM
Vexingly, I still don't know what I'm doing this evening. At the very least, having a fire in my fireplace and remembering the year's dead, but I usually do something with one of my coreligionists.

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Oct-31, 07:30 PM
neices out the door trick or treating check.
pumpkins carved check.
work tonight check.
birthday off tomorrow check.
new eagles cd well maybe next week.

ETA Happy Halloween.

Kelfazin
2007-Oct-31, 08:05 PM
I'll be following in the BA's footsteps and setting up my scope for the neighborhood kids tonight. Hopefully it'll stay clear...

kjp345
2007-Oct-31, 09:43 PM
Happy Holloween all!

Noclevername
2007-Oct-31, 09:44 PM
Happy Pre-Sugar Coma Day! ;)

KaiYeves
2007-Oct-31, 10:07 PM
Silver stage make-up.
Blue hairspray.
Antennae headband.
Yet none of the other students knew I was supposed to be a Martian.

If I wanted to be really scary, I could always have messed up my hair, and gotten a suit, and a camcorder, and made a fake bruise on my face with those kits they sell at the party store...
Maybe next year.

mike alexander
2007-Oct-31, 10:57 PM
My wife will go out as the Halloween Fairy with her Wicked Witch hat and cape (she takes gifts around to friends, which I think is quite nice). She has a set of knitting needles with LEDs in the tips for knitting in the dark, so she also has a very good glowing wand.

This seems a nice thing for adults to do: visit someone who could use a visit and bring a treat.

Maksutov
2007-Oct-31, 11:36 PM
I'll be spending the evening with my ghoulfriend.

Happy Hallowe'en to all!

..but tomorrow comes the season when one merrily clasps with both hands the derrière of the next friendly female and exclaims "Ha! Bum Hug!"

mike alexander
2007-Oct-31, 11:42 PM
Alternatively, you could ask, "Wanna Scrooge?"

Gillianren
2007-Nov-01, 01:18 AM
Hopefully it'll stay clear...

Even if I had a 'scope, there'd be no point in doing that here tonight. Rain again. But my corelgionist and I hung out and had a brief ritual, and there'll be ritual food for dinner tonight. (Red meat and root vegetables are traditional foods for Samhain. Yay, cheeseburgers and fries!)

Kelfazin
2007-Nov-01, 04:15 AM
We had good skies tonight :) It was originally hard to get the initial alignment because of some lingering clouds (and the fact that kids were already out and about asking to look through the scope at 6:15! It was still light out, what's up with that?! When I was a kid....) but it cleared up nicely. We had a nice view of Jupiter most of the evening, which is always impressive (not as much as Saturn, but what can ya do). After we lost Jupiter behind the houses we switched over to the Wild Duck Cluster, which, surprising to me, was also a hit. Afterwards we spent about 10 minutes on Comet Holmes, but by then most of the kids had gone.

All told, it was a good night. Parents had fun, kids had fun, and my feet hurt from standing around so long lol.

Maksutov
2007-Nov-01, 04:49 AM
Good work, Kelfazin! You might just have "tricked" a few kids into getting interested in astronomy, which as we all know is one of the greatest treats of all!

Hope someone gave you some candy.

crosscountry
2007-Nov-01, 06:59 AM
I had a good time tonight. I went out with my brother and met some new people. I even got a couple girl's phone numbers.

It's nice being in a town where I know people that know people. I'm the new guy, and that's a good place to be!

Happy Halloween again!!!!

Moose
2007-Nov-01, 01:19 PM
Well, Happy First Day of Christmas Shopping Season, folks. I'm absolutely dreading the next time I have to go downtown.

Last night went well, though. I got about thirty-five kids, and got rid of all the candy I cannot eat, and all but one of the candy I don't like. So now, according to my dastardly plan, I have a metric butt-load of candy I can use as portable dessert in my packed lunches. For the next six months or so.

It's funny, my cats really got their exercise last night. They're both a bit skittish when people show up at the door unexpectedly (for them), so they both instantly dash for the safety of the basement when they're startled. It's funny to watch Kaylee especially. She'll hit the afterburner even though she's on a tile floor (no traction) and literally drift around the corners. She's gotten pretty good at it.

Both cats did much better when I set up some chairs at the picture window and let them hang out on the sill. They got to see the kids wandering around on the street and had some warning when the kids approached the house.

closetgeek
2007-Nov-01, 02:16 PM
We had not one single trick or treater. Great! now I have 5 bags of candy to hide from the kids. We didn't even trick or treat in our neighborhood because it was so dead. We just drove across the canal for the ritual. There was zero chance of seeing anything in the sky last night because we have Noel looming ominously off the coast. It was mostly raining and lots of wind. The funny thing was everyone had the same idea as we. There were just lines of mini-vans and pick up trucked rolling down the street with their hazzards on and stopping in front of every house. One dumbo was speeding down the street. Now our community has no streetlights and it's pretty dark, of all days, do not speed through a neighborhood on Halloween. It was a great reaction though; one of the cars transporting trick or treaters, pulled out and blocked the road (it was a near accident complete with screeching breaks) got out and calmly explained to the guy how dangerous it is to be speeding, in the rain, on dark roads, on Halloween, then got back in and moved his car. He was applauded.

Kelfazin
2007-Nov-01, 03:40 PM
Good work, Kelfazin! You might just have "tricked" a few kids into getting interested in astronomy, which as we all know is one of the greatest treats of all!

Hope someone gave you some candy.

Yea it was pretty cool. I had my green laser pointer so after the kids were done looking through the scope I pointed out Jupiter in the sky. We had a couple kids where you could tell something just clicked inside their heads. Kind of "wow, that's what I'm looking at?" moment. We even had one kid come back to our house 3 times. I just smiled at my girlfriend and said "We got another one. Score one more for the good guys." :)

Kelfazin
2007-Nov-01, 03:42 PM
Oh and we had one girl..mid-teenager-ish, that was almost too scared to look through the eyepiece. She thought something was going to jump out of the scope or something. Kind of funny considering she was with a group of friends and they had all gone before her :)

crosscountry
2007-Nov-01, 03:56 PM
isn't that odd? People really are afraid of the unknown. It's sad though when they don't know what a telescope is or does.

Good story about the one that came back.

Kelfazin
2007-Nov-01, 04:20 PM
isn't that odd? People really are afraid of the unknown. It's sad though when they don't know what a telescope is or does.

Yea I had a lot of people ask me if it was a camera.

never seen a camera that looks like an SCT lol

KaiYeves
2007-Nov-01, 09:42 PM
"We got another one. Score one more for the good guys."
:-D

Noclevername
2007-Nov-01, 09:45 PM
A little Fun Fact from yesterday:
http://devilspanties.keenspot.com/d/20071031.html

Standard Warning, the linked page is okay, rest of the site is not good for children and other growing things

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Nov-02, 10:21 AM
We had only 3 people here more chips and chessies for me. Kelfazin sounds like you had a good time,

A.DIM
2007-Nov-02, 01:36 PM
Any pics of costumes?

Mine's been the same for years (since I stopped actually looking like that!)
and always seems to throw folks for a loop.
They can't tell if I actually look like that or if I'm in costume!