PDA

View Full Version : I love British humour: The dollar

mfumbesi
2007-Nov-01, 08:21 AM
I found this pearl of humor in one Daily Mash "news" column.

The once manly greenback is afraid to be left alone at night and has to sleep with the light on, but is still constantly wetting the bed.

The whole story is herehttp://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/dollar-now-nancy-boy-of-international-currencies-20071031504/

I hope I didn't upset our USA hosts and get banned in the process.

Jim
2007-Nov-01, 12:47 PM
Y'know, I didn't mind the US$ losing value compared to the euro or the pound or the yen, but to the Canadian dollar!?

ToSeek
2007-Nov-01, 02:13 PM
Y'know, I didn't mind the US$ losing value compared to the euro or the pound or the yen, but to the Canadian dollar!?

Yeah, that's like going to the beach and getting sand kicked in your face by the 98-pound weakling. ;)

(Just kidding, Canadians. I love your country.)

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Nov-01, 03:27 PM
Well, seeing as we have 60% of the world's exploitable oil...

And as an aside, the CAD just hit the highest it's been since they started keeping records. And it's just going to keep going...

Oh, and to really irk you, we just got $60 billion CAD worth of federal tax cuts. And spending is up. And we're reducing the national debt by $10 billion CAD this year.

;)

korjik
2007-Nov-01, 04:02 PM
I like my humor a little less crude, but still, I dont see anything wrong with the story.

The Canadian dollar being worth more than the US dollar is just wrong. Kinda like having a pro hockey team here in Houston is wrong

:)

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Nov-01, 04:35 PM
Hey, we'll take them. The NHL won't move any team out of the US to a more profitable Canadian market, though. C.f. the Predators and Mr. Balsillie.

And you'll just need to deal with the dollar. We were good sports about it for decades. Your turn. :)

Casus_belli
2007-Nov-01, 04:41 PM
I've got an extra couple of quid to spare. Maybe I should hop across the pond and invest in some land. Tell me is Texas for sale?:razz:

JohnD
2007-Nov-01, 09:24 PM
On US/Canada/UK

A friend has recent, dual UK and Canadian citizenship. He travelled into the USA and asked if there was any advantage/disadvantage in cchoosing to use either. The advice was - Canadian.

In the past, UK citizens have been popular in the US - maybe we are 'cute' and speak funny, but liked for being British. And we are, allegedly, the US's closest political ally. Why should Canadian now be the preferred foreign nationality? I'm not jealous, just curious. Is it the currency?

John

KaiYeves
2007-Nov-01, 09:26 PM
Yeah, that's like going to the beach and getting sand kicked in your face by the 98-pound weakling.
Or going on Jeopardy and loosing to me.

PetersCreek
2007-Nov-01, 09:46 PM
Good thing my ego isn't tied up in the size of me...er...bill.

Trebuchet
2007-Nov-01, 11:24 PM
On US/Canada/UK

A friend has recent, dual UK and Canadian citizenship. He travelled into the USA and asked if there was any advantage/disadvantage in cchoosing to use either. The advice was - Canadian.

In the past, UK citizens have been popular in the US - maybe we are 'cute' and speak funny, but liked for being British. And we are, allegedly, the US's closest political ally. Why should Canadian now be the preferred foreign nationality? I'm not jealous, just curious. Is it the currency?

John

Perhaps just easier to cross the border. Was he coming into the US by way of Canada?