PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye, Col. Tibbets

sarongsong
2007-Nov-02, 01:43 AM
November 1, 2007
Called the best pilot in the World War II-era Army Air Force, Col. Paul Tibbets entered history as the pilot of the B-29 Superfortress Enola Gay...died November 1, 2007 at the age of 92...
Studs Terkel: And the Enola Gay was named after...
Paul Tibbets: My mother. She was Enola Gay Haggard before she married my dad, and my dad never supported me with the flying - he hated airplanes and motorcycles...it was up to me now to put together an organization and train them to drop atomic weapons on both Europe and the Pacific - Tokyo...
AvWeb (http://www.avweb.com/news/profiles/PaulTibbets_StudsTerkel_EnolaGayInterview_2002_196 499-1.html)http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon4.gif

Dragon Star
2007-Nov-02, 02:46 AM
...Europe? Wow, I've missed something somewhere. :shifty:

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Nov-02, 02:54 AM
To train to drop them on Germany.

jrkeller
2007-Nov-02, 03:37 AM
...Europe? Wow, I've missed something somewhere. :shifty:

The original plan was one nuke for Germany and one for Japan, but the war ended in Europe before the bomb was ready so Japan got both.

sarongsong
2007-Nov-02, 03:56 AM
How many did the U.S. make altogether---three?
Studs Terkel: Why did they drop the second one, the Bockscar on Nagasaki?
[b]Paul Tibbets: Unknown to anybody else - I knew it, but nobody else knew - there was a third one. See, the first bomb went off and they didn't hear anything out of the Japanese for two or three days. The second bomb was dropped and again they were silent for another couple of days...
Studs Terkel: What did General LeMay have in mind with the third one?
Paul Tibbets: Nobody knows.

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Nov-02, 04:52 AM
Well, they had two when the bombing occurred, but the third was already being built, with more on the way.

Halcyon Dayz
2007-Nov-02, 09:13 AM
25,000+

Giving a whole new meaning to the term overkill.

cjl
2007-Nov-02, 09:57 AM
However, the USSR built in excess of 40,000, so we weren't alone.

ngc3314
2007-Nov-02, 02:33 PM

By war's actual end, yes. Alamogordo, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki. Had events transpired so as to make Truman call for more (or at least credibly threaten more), the infrastructure, vast as it was, would have been very hard pressed to produce enough fissile material for additional bombs any faster than one per few months. That was changed rather quickly as the cold war heated up.

In Heisenberg's War, he is quoted as having said that fission weapons would be impractical, if only because enrichment of uranium or production of plutonium in sufficient quantities (even given his misestimation of critical masses) would require the power resources of an entire industrialized country for years to perform. Which is pretty much what the Manhattan Engineering District ended up doing.

jrkeller
2007-Nov-02, 02:41 PM

According the plan for the invasion of Japan, the military hoped to have 7 more atomic bombs. They were to be used for military, not civilain targets. At least that according to this Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Downfall). Other sources confirm the seven bomb number.

KaiYeves
2007-Nov-02, 07:22 PM
...Europe? Wow, I've missed something somewhere.
Maybe that guy is from the alternate universe where BAUT is TAUB?