PDA

View Full Version : Bad Astronomy in NY Times

Kaptain K
2002-Mar-05, 06:07 PM
In the Science Times section of today's Times, there is an article about the possibility of interstellar travel (Sorry, I can't provide a link, since I am not registered. I read it in the hard copy.) The article states that Sirius is the second closest star, after Alpha Centauri. A quick web search reveals that it is eighth. Even if you count Alpha Centauri (A, B, and Proxima) and Luyten 726 (A and B) as singles, Sirius is still fifth not second!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kaptain K on 2002-03-05 13:10 ]</font>

David Hall
2002-Mar-06, 01:29 AM
Here's the link for you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/05/science/space/05TRAV.html

Jigsaw
2002-Mar-06, 02:01 AM
Yeah.

March 5, 2002

One Lifetime Is Not Enough for a Trip to Distant Stars

By NATALIE ANGIER

< snip >

Still, no human migration in history would compare in difficulty with reaching another star. The nearest, Alpha Centauri, is about 4.4 light- years from the Sun, and a light-year is equal to almost six trillion miles. The next nearest star, Sirius, is 8.7 light-years from home.
Natalie also wrote:

For longer journeys, designed with multigenerational crews in mind, an onboard engine and fuel source would be required, perhaps something powered by nuclear bombs, or the combining of matter and antimatter in a reaction that converts both substances into pure energy.