PDA

View Full Version : Frequently participation in debate competition gives you a great level of confidence

suntrack2
2007-Nov-03, 12:37 PM
This is what I am talking about our confidence. well, when I practiced the different competitions during my school and college times, I draw an opinion that the debate competition is much helpful in building our confidence about a. stage daring, b. about presentation of self, c. about the quantitative aptitude about different topics, d. about fearless mind in front of great crowd of spectetors.

whenever the participant speaks in such competition, he almost tries to work out with a great level of his inner available confidence within him or her,and they project it beautifully in front of mike. I have even seen some participants who were mere level of confidence tries to uphold the great levels in latter practising the number of debates. The debate is an art to show how the things is such and such and how the thing is not such and such, some participants seats in the left side and some are on right side of stage,leftists are not in favour of topic and the right are in favour of topic.

Many time during my college times in such competitions few members tries to project a real quarrel during this session, they thought that quarraling means debate, they were confuse, hence they did that act of quarrelling. There is no need to speak loudly in the debate competition, some are habitual of this one.

In short the debate competitions are interesting, hence we must have practice it in our regular life. ( and what the wife and husband do in the home, they don't quarrel but they do a meaningful debate and through which some good things come out which are useful for their life)

:)

Neverfly
2007-Nov-03, 06:26 PM
I dunno Suntrack.

Another thread on here implies that this is brutish behavior and bad for our self esteems.

I guess no one is supposed to find their niche anymore- the rest of all humanity is supposed to pander to the ones that don't like itself or we are all supposed to become uniform like ants.

Eta C
2007-Nov-04, 05:59 AM
Oh, I don't know, Neverfly. I debated in high school and college. High School debate was very formalized and fast (I'm still learning to slow down my speaking from a mile a minute). However, the debates at UI were of the public forum type, with (tasteful) heckling encouraged and interruptions from the audience for questions part of the plan. Given my job experience since, I would say that any experience with public speaking of that kind is bound to improve one's job performance, regardless of the field. Part of it is the pure excitement in being in front of an audience, no matter how hostile. Part of it is also the increase in self confidence in facing a potentially hostile audience. I regard my debate experience as one of the most valuable in my career, even above my doctoral research.

suntrack2
2007-Nov-04, 04:35 PM
Oh, I don't know, Neverfly. I debated in high school and college. High School debate was very formalized and fast (I'm still learning to slow down my speaking from a mile a minute). However, the debates at UI were of the public forum type, with (tasteful) heckling encouraged and interruptions from the audience for questions part of the plan. Given my job experience since, I would say that any experience with public speaking of that kind is bound to improve one's job performance, regardless of the field. Part of it is the pure excitement in being in front of an audience, no matter how hostile. Part of it is also the increase in self confidence in facing a potentially hostile audience. I regard my debate experience as one of the most valuable in my career, even above my doctoral research.

That's fine Eta, your experiences during the debate competitions are very nice, as you stated in the last line "even above my doctoral research", that's very fine, I think there is vast difference in the school debate and the energitic college debate, is it not? Sometime I too have been interrupted when the audience start Whistling on one of my statement say before some 25years. My one coligue who had no confidence that how to speak on the stage, later when he participated in the debate competition, he was really spoke very fine, and the confidence was just visible on his face. :)