PDA

View Full Version : what is nanoflare hypothesis?

suntrack2
2007-Nov-05, 05:03 PM
I would like to do better clearing the idea about nanoflare hypothesis, so please give me idea about it and link so. and is it only applicable to our sun!, or any other hot stars in the universe?

antoniseb
2007-Nov-05, 05:08 PM
Try Googling on 'nanoflare'. It is an idea for explaining some coronal features.

suntrack2
2007-Nov-05, 05:14 PM
Thank you, Antoniseb, I will try googling.

tusenfem
2007-Nov-05, 05:17 PM
IIRC Aert Schadee from Utrecht University came up with the idea of nanoflares. They are supposed to be very small flares at the surface of the sun and at one point, not too long ago, thought significant for the heating of the solar corona.

There are numerous papers on them e.g. in the journal Solar Physics.

kzb
2007-Nov-05, 06:32 PM
I just wish we could stop overusing the prefix "nano". OK this is probably not the worst example, since it literally means "dwarf". However it is an SI prefix denoting 1E-09.

Scientists are putting nano in front of everything to get funding. A few years ago these would have been merely "miniflares", or perhaps at a stretch "microflares", but now we have to go to nanoflares. Or perhaps it's a more scientific term for Victoria Beckham's flare size.

tusenfem
2007-Nov-06, 02:48 AM
I just wish we could stop overusing the prefix "nano". OK this is probably not the worst example, since it literally means "dwarf". However it is an SI prefix denoting 1E-09.

Scientists are putting nano in front of everything to get funding. A few years ago these would have been merely "miniflares", or perhaps at a stretch "microflares", but now we have to go to nanoflares. Or perhaps it's a more scientific term for Victoria Beckham's flare size.

Well, it is not something modern, this theory comes from the late 70s early 80s of the last century. And indeed there was already the term "microflares" and as these were smaller again by a lot, they were called nanoflares.