PDA

View Full Version : Good Idea::Bad Idea

Fazor
2007-Nov-06, 03:41 PM
Boy's Invention Keeps the Lid On (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/weird_news/20071102_ap_boysinventionkeepsthelidon.html)

Okay, I just couldn't stay away from this one. This boy "invented" a foot-activated pedal that raises/lowers the toilet seat. (Think flip-top garbage cans). I like when kids are creative.

But there's still plenty of humor here. For instance;

While her son, who is in the school's Talented and Gifted program, manages assignments with ease, he has one weak spot: remembering to lower the seat after he's done, Beth Wulf said.

then

"My mom was getting mad at me for forgetting to put the toilet seat down and she was falling in," said Jake, a fourth-grader at Odebolt-Arthur Elementary School.

So, the kid who is "talented and gifted" is the offspring of a woman who apparently lacks the ability to learn from past experiences, and continues to sit on the toilet without first looking. Am I the only one who finds this ironic?

And, to throw in the mandatory current-events joke; there is one big flaw with this kids foot-pedal invention. Didn't we all recently learn it is not wise to tap your foot while in the restroom? :)

Neverfly
2007-Nov-06, 04:09 PM
Tapping, not peddling. er... pedaling.

Paul Beardsley
2007-Nov-06, 04:15 PM
(Think flip-top garbage cans)
Is that what you call them in the States? We call them pedal bins in England.

And I liked the p*litic*l joke!

Gillianren
2007-Nov-06, 06:39 PM
Is that what you call them in the States? We call them pedal bins in England.

Random trivia--they were invented by Dr. Lillian Gilbreth, the mother of the family from Cheaper by the Dozen (the original of which is based on a real family, for those who didn't know). She and her husband were efficiency experts.

As to falling in--I don't always turn on the lights if I go to use the bathroom at night. Since I live with Graham, who doesn't put the seat down, I check first, but it did take some time for me to get used to that.

Fazor
2007-Nov-06, 08:07 PM
Ah, so would you be offended if we started refering to you as 'ol soggy bottom then? :)

P.S., I *always* turn on the lights when I go to the restroom at night. Otherwise the ghosts, or worse, Bloody Marry, might get you!

NEOWatcher
2007-Nov-06, 08:19 PM
Okay, I just couldn't stay away from this one. This boy "invented" a foot-activated pedal that raises/lowers the toilet seat. (Think flip-top garbage cans). I like when kids are creative.
I too, like when kids are creative.
The problem is, that this idea is not anything new. So the kid is creative. Give hime credit for the creativity, but not the invention.

It's been thought of. Patents 5404595 (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5404595.html) AND 4584724 (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4584724.html) for example.

Wasn't this the same show that presented the kid that invented the wedgie proof underwear (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071102/ap_on_re_us/odd_underwear_invention)?

At what point is the show exploiting the children?

Fazor
2007-Nov-06, 08:52 PM
Yes, it was the same show. And that wasn't really wedgie proof underwear (tho that's what it's "marketed" as); it's easily removable underwear. If they had designed them in thong and bikini versions, I'd move to nominate them for the next Nobel prize. ;)

I'm curious as to the other "child-inventions", but not curious enough to watch Ellen's show. :)

Noclevername
2007-Nov-06, 09:01 PM
Random trivia--they were invented by Dr. Lillian Gilbreth, the mother of the family from Cheaper by the Dozen (the original of which is based on a real family, for those who didn't know). She and her husband were efficiency experts.

As to falling in--I don't always turn on the lights if I go to use the bathroom at night. Since I live with Graham, who doesn't put the seat down, I check first, but it did take some time for me to get used to that.

Good rule of thumb; always look at something before sitting on it. You never know what might be left by accident on a chair (or intentionally by someone with a pre-adolescent sense of humor) and for non-chair furnishings, the potential for mayhem is even greater.

NEOWatcher
2007-Nov-06, 09:08 PM
If they had designed them in thong and bikini versions, I'd move to nominate them for the next Nobel prize. ;)
Wedgie proof thong? No wonder it would deserve a Nobel. I thought that was impossible.

Good rule of thumb; always look at something before sitting on it. You never know what might be left by accident on a chair (or intentionally by someone with a pre-adolescent sense of humor) and for non-chair furnishings, the potential for mayhem is even greater.
Yes; the perfect candidates for whoopie cushions.

Noclevername
2007-Nov-06, 09:21 PM
Yes; the perfect candidates for whoopie cushions.

I was thinking more of those pinheads who left thumbtacks on teachers' chairs in school.

Fazor
2007-Nov-06, 09:36 PM
I was thinking more of those pinheads who left thumbtacks on teachers' chairs in school.

Really? I was think'n more like unattended slices of pie. I hate when people carelessly sit on my pie!

mike alexander
2007-Nov-06, 11:23 PM
Good rule of thumb; always look at something before sitting on it.

Also: never reach into a blind place with your dominant hand.

KaiYeves
2007-Nov-07, 03:37 AM
30 girls + two bathrooms = bad idea.

Maksutov
2007-Nov-07, 05:27 AM
30 girls + two bathrooms = bad idea.That's when the bushes you planted in the yard come in handy.

I always turn the light on. Not doing so would be like trying to pitch a strike with your eyes closed.