PDA

View Full Version : Suppose the Bruce Willis asteroid hit the moon?

Sticks
2007-Nov-06, 05:56 PM
I may have asked this before, but could not find it

Basically, suppose an asteroid of the size of Texas hit the moon, how bad would it be for us on Earth.

antoniseb
2007-Nov-06, 06:06 PM
If Ceres fell to the inner Solar System and hit the Moon, I suspect it would be lights out. It's hard to imagine that the Earth wouldn't be on the receiving end of several hunks of debris at least 30 km across.

astromark
2007-Nov-06, 06:18 PM
This questions answer can be a doomsday event or just a spectacular new impact creator on the moon. There are verables... Density and velocity and angle of impact. To name just some. Looking at the moon you might see a fabulous feather of material throwing up and over days see it settle to reveal a bright new feature. Or in the worst possible case the moon gets blown to bits and the debris impacts Earth... Nasty stuff...
Fortunately these events are one in a millions of years, or never...
sleep well.:)

2007-Nov-06, 06:27 PM
Texas is big. There aren't many candidates for that kind of horrific impact.
Probably on more modest scales:

Topic Hypothetical Asteroid Impact on Moon (http://www.bautforum.com/questions-answers/32434-hypothetical-asteroid-impact-moon.html)

Topic Moon impact (http://www.bautforum.com/small-media-large/34608-moon-impact.html)

John Mendenhall
2007-Nov-06, 06:29 PM
If Ceres fell to the inner Solar System and hit the Moon, I suspect it would be lights out. It's hard to imagine that the Earth wouldn't be on the receiving end of several hunks of debris at least 30 km across.

Yup. See the Wiki article on Tycho Crater on the moon. And the impact that made the Tycho impacter happened a long way away.

JustAFriend
2007-Nov-07, 01:39 AM
Does not really matter if you're hit by a .45 bullet or a 12-gauge shotgun blast at close range --- dead is dead....

Noclevername
2007-Nov-07, 01:43 AM
I may have asked this before, but could not find it

Basically, suppose an asteroid of the size of Texas hit the moon, how bad would it be for us on Earth.

...But of course, splitting it in half with an explosion is perfectly safe. :D