PDA

View Full Version : One giant leap backward

Geoff394
2003-Jul-28, 09:05 PM
I just found this. Sorry if it's already been posted, but the last line bears repeating.

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20030712/SUBB12/TPEntertainment/TopStories

wedgebert
2003-Jul-28, 10:19 PM
Too bad it didn't knock some sense into him

JayUtah
2003-Jul-28, 11:52 PM
"Kaysing says it's because the film [Capricorn One] was based on his book."

Since co-authorship suits are as common in Hollywood as cell phones, why hasn't Kaysing sued Peter Hyams for a portion of the film's earnings? Kaysing is not credited at all, and I would indeed be upset if someone stole my work, made a Hollywood movie from it, and never once mentioned my name in connection with it.

As a matter of fact, Hyams states that the idea for the movie occurred to him sometime in the late 1960s. He tried pitching it to various film studios, but the idea of a murderously conspiratorial government was simply not credible enough to consider. Watergate (1972) and the ensuing revelations culminating in Nixon's resignation in 1974 changed this and the film was then green-lighted.

Kaysing's book was first published in 1976, far too late for it to have been the basis for Hyams' screenplay. Besides, what had Hyams been showing all those studio execs back in 1970?

Mellow
2003-Jul-29, 09:50 AM
The article contains a really cool point. If NASA is really blase about killing any potential whistleblowers, why isn't Kaysing dead right now? I'm sure NASA in cahoots with the CIA could easily arrange an 'accident' for the man who is about to bring down the whole house of cards.....

So, to recap, NASA will kill Apollo1 astronauts on the pad, destroy a shuttle on global TV, induce heart attacks in suspicious circimstances but can't pop-off a 15 minute famer.

#-o

johnwitts
2003-Jul-29, 09:48 PM
Maybe Hyams should have sued Kaysing for writing a book based upon his screenplay...

Madcat
2003-Aug-08, 12:38 AM
Maybe the Apollo astronauts should sue him for slander. :)

JayUtah
2003-Aug-08, 01:50 AM
That's exactly the kind of publicity the conspiracists want. Even if they lose, they win. They can show how The Gubmint tried to "silence" them by suing them. And the publicity surrounding the trial would boost their sales. It's pretty obvious what's going on: the conspiracists want a free ride to success on the astronauts' coattails, whether the astronauts cooperate or not.

Laser Jock
2003-Aug-08, 03:02 PM
I did not like the article; it gave to much credence to the HB's. I sent the author the following:

Dear Rebecca Caldwell,

I read your story "One giant leap backward," and I think you should make a little more effort at balanced reporting. I won't take the time to destroy
the points that the conspiracists made in your story, but you should check
out the sites clavius.org and badastronomy.com to get the facts on the
so-called "tantalizing" evidence. Thank you for your time.

I hope that's not too rude. She made a few good points, but she made no effort to debunk the stars argument (for instance) which can be done in only a sentence or two. :-?

Hamlet
2003-Aug-08, 03:27 PM
I did not like the article; it gave to much credence to the HB's. I sent the author the following:

Dear Rebecca Caldwell,

I read your story "One giant leap backward," and I think you should make a little more effort at balanced reporting. I won't take the time to destroy
the points that the conspiracists made in your story, but you should check
out the sites clavius.org and badastronomy.com to get the facts on the
so-called "tantalizing" evidence. Thank you for your time.

I hope that's not too rude. She made a few good points, but she made no effort to debunk the stars argument (for instance) which can be done in only a sentence or two. :-?

You were not rude at all given how credulous she appears to be. A few minutes of research could have corrected the "facts" she was so amazed by. I guess I'm old fashioned enought to think that a reporter should research a subject before they write about it.

She had an oppurtunity to write something relevant that would have celebrated a highlight in human history. Instead, she chose to write a cheap, sensationalistic fluff piece that gives the HBers the credibility they so desperately crave. What a waste.

I think you letter to her was right on the mark.

Laser Jock
2003-Aug-08, 03:48 PM
She had an oppurtunity to write something relevant that would have celebrated a highlight in human history. Instead, she chose to write a cheap, sensationalistic fluff piece that gives the HBers the credibility they so desperately crave. What a waste.

Exactly what I wanted to say, but I didn't say it as well as you did. I'll let you know if she responds.