PDA

View Full Version : Holmes from Ione, California.

kvwood
2007-Nov-08, 10:38 PM
Hi everyone,

Here is one more image to add to our growing collection on the forum. I took three 1 minute subs in each color.(RGB). Tak FSQ 106 and STL 11000

http://www.pbase.com/kvwood/image/88646156

Take care,
Kent

Tucson_Tim
2007-Nov-09, 12:15 AM
That is a very nice picture Kent! Please keep posting.

JAICOA
2007-Nov-09, 03:32 AM
Very nice indeed Kent, It clearly shows the blue tint now. Welldone and Clear Skies

RickJ
2007-Nov-09, 06:07 PM
I've not had a chance to do more than a preliminary process of my shot on this night but your color is exactly what I'm seeing in my shot. Virtually none in the coma that had been a pretty golden color. It's now looking more like a "normal" comet -- at least in color

kvwood
2007-Nov-10, 06:03 AM
Thanks Tim, Jaicoa and Rick. Yes, it does seem to be taking on a bit more of a traditional comet tail.

Take care,
Kent

frankuitaalst
2007-Nov-10, 09:54 PM
Thanks guys for posting this image .
Any idea how the magnitude evolves ?

kvwood
2007-Nov-10, 10:06 PM
That's a great question Frankuitaalst. I think that is what everyone is trying to figure out. I haven't read much regarding any hypothesis regarding the sudden increase in magnitude, but maybe others in this forum have. Since it is now about 2AUs from the sun and moving away, it is not showing typical behavior. A possible collision with an asteroid, or maybe fragmentation due to structural weaknesses are a couple of thoughts.

Any other ideas?

Kent

Urbane Guerrilla
2007-Nov-12, 05:59 AM
I just read something from Gary Kronk suggesting the cometary crust of grit that accumulates as the volatiles sublimate off into the tail sometimes gets weakened and either collapses or alternatively blows out around an area that was weak or thin, releasing a comparative lot of volatiles all at once by being more directly exposed to solar heating/wind. Big foof! -- and none too predictable.

kvwood
2007-Nov-12, 06:40 AM
That makes alot of sense.

Thanks for the feedback!