PDA

View Full Version : Hey folks! I'm back!

Kaptain K
2007-Nov-10, 03:58 AM
This might ramble a bit, so be patient.

First off:[rant] Thanks to the miracles of modern medical insurance, I am back a week (or maybe two) earlier than I (or my surgeon) expected! The plan was that after a week or so in the hospital, I would spend a week (or two) in a rehab (nursing) home. BUT, NO!!! My insurance company decided I'm doing "too well" for that. So, here I am 50 Km from the nearest hospital (by helicopter!) with a home health care nurse who will check on me once or twice a week. I could go on about the problems with the health care system of the "richest nation on Earth", but getting banned is not my intent, so I'll [end rant]. :whistle:

Second: Yes, BAUT is my first stop on the web (OK, I did check my e-mail first :) ) I checked my earlier post and caught up on the replies posted after I went to the hospital. Thank you all for your wishes!

Third: Thanks to several talks with the surgeon, I know a lot more now than I did before about my first surgery. From what I had to go through to clean out my colon this time, it is obvious that the first operation was an emergency!

Once again, thank you all. I'm going to get some sack time. I'll be back in a few hours.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Nov-10, 03:59 AM
Welcome back! That's great! Take care not to over-extend yourself.

Gillianren
2007-Nov-10, 04:27 AM
Good to hear you're doing okay. If you ever need to continue that rant, my PM box has room, and you're sure to get a sympathetic ear.

Maksutov
2007-Nov-10, 05:49 AM
Great to see you're back, Kaptain K! And doing well. When do you start on solid food? Or have you already?

Nice to read some good news for once, especially about a BAUTer!

:)

mike alexander
2007-Nov-10, 05:51 AM
Welcome back, Kaptain.

Just don't strain those stiches, y'hear?

Maksutov
2007-Nov-10, 06:53 AM
Yeah, Kaptain, try to avoid a certain variety of mike alexander posts. Don't want stitches straining stitches.

Kaptain K
2007-Nov-10, 07:20 AM
Yeah, I've been on solid food (if you can call hospital food "food" for almost a week now! :sick:

As for "stitches", I have a line of metal surgical staples from 10 cm below my sternum to below my waist - it'll make an interesting scar some day. I have a 20-30 cm wide elastic band around my waist to keep tension off of the staples. I also have a "bulb" (a little bigger than a chicken egg) hanging out of the wound that keeps suction on the wound for drainage. When it quits draining, the doctor will remove it and decide when to remove the staples.

Neverfly
2007-Nov-10, 07:29 AM
Already...

Great! Thanks a LOT!

Now I'm out fifty bucks...

Harvey
2007-Nov-10, 08:02 AM
This might ramble a bit, so be patient.

First off:[rant] Thanks to the miracles of modern medical insurance, I am back a week (or maybe two) earlier than I (or my surgeon) expected! The plan was that after a week or so in the hospital, I would spend a week (or two) in a rehab (nursing) home. BUT, NO!!! My insurance company decided I'm doing "too well" for that. So, here I am 50 Km from the nearest hospital (by helicopter!) with a home health care nurse who will check on me once or twice a week. I could go on about the problems with the health care system of the "richest nation on Earth", but getting banned is not my intent, so I'll [end rant]. :whistle:

Will the richest nation on earth really ban you for complaining?

Kaptain K
2007-Nov-10, 08:08 AM
No, but the mods of this board sure could (would) if I went on! :)

Moose
2007-Nov-10, 09:47 AM
Welcome back, Kaptain K. That certainly was quick, but it sounds like it went very well. (Insurance notwithstanding). Good for you.

Should be smooth sailing from here, dude.

Argos
2007-Nov-10, 10:53 AM
Glad to know you´re doing fine Kaptain. Welcome back! :)

KaiYeves
2007-Nov-10, 01:56 PM
Welcome back aboard, Kaptain!
Arrgh!

Jens
2007-Nov-10, 01:57 PM
Kaptain,

It looks like both you and Discovery beat the 1% odds! Welcome back.

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Nov-10, 04:01 PM
welcome back kaptain.

hhEb09'1
2007-Nov-10, 05:25 PM
WB to poster #52 from #54 :)

Disinfo Agent
2007-Nov-10, 06:41 PM
It's nice to have you back. I'm glad all went well.

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Nov-10, 06:55 PM
Glad to hear it Kaptain!

Cougar
2007-Nov-10, 07:15 PM
Excellent question, Harvey, for a first or second post. Welcome to the board.

I guess this health care question often turns partisanly political, which is rather eschewed on the boards. This is, after all, a site centrally about astronomy, the universe, and science.

I expect there is plenty of science in the study of health care around the world, which would likely be an acceptable discussion....

Good to hear you're doing so well, K!

http://www.xmission.com/~dcc/catblink.gif

KaiYeves
2007-Nov-10, 07:16 PM
You can be banned by Liechtenstein?

sarongsong
2007-Nov-10, 09:57 PM
Hee-hee...that's Liechtenstein (http://www.liechtenstein.li/en/) :)

Noclevername
2007-Nov-10, 10:12 PM
But I hardly know Stein!

Doodler
2007-Nov-10, 10:59 PM
Insurance companies are always a pain in the butt, like you needed any help in THAT department...;)

Kaptain K
2007-Nov-10, 11:15 PM
Insurance companies are always a pain in the butt, like you needed any help in THAT department...;)
In spite of my complaints (which I feel are justified) about medical insurance (bean counters making medical decisions), I have to remember that without insurance, I would have been "up a stream without an oar"! :(

sarongsong
2007-Nov-10, 11:43 PM
I'm back!:clap:
...The plan was that after a week or so in the hospital, I would spend a week (or two) in a rehab (nursing) home...Maybe a good thing, considering what all else is going on in medical facilities these days.
What's the new diet like?

Kaptain K
2007-Nov-11, 12:03 AM
Diet? What diet?
I bought a pizza on my way home from the hospital last night.
I just finished a hamburger.

BTW Diet is die...with a t on the end of it! :)

sarongsong
2007-Nov-11, 12:13 AM
Wot?! :doh:
Thought for sure they'd put you on liquids---good show!

Neverfly
2007-Nov-11, 12:16 AM
Liquid Schmiquid. Kaptain K is a TEXAN.

Kaptain K
2007-Nov-11, 12:49 AM
Liquid Schmiquid. Kaptain K is a TEXAN.
[Dang] straight! :cool: I wasn't born here, but I got here as fast as I could!

Hook 'em Horns!!!

Moose
2007-Nov-11, 01:06 AM
Thought for sure they'd put you on liquids---good show!

You do when you're recovering from major abdominal surgery, but that's only a day, maybe two at most. It's mostly to prevent painful cramping while your guts come back up under load. It's the same thing you're supposed to do when bringing anybody off of a fast.

Your diet is pretty much back to normal by the time you leave the hospital.

KaiYeves
2007-Nov-11, 01:39 AM
[Dang] straight! I wasn't born here, but I got here as fast as I could!
Poor guy. You should have come to...
New York, New York!
;-D

Kaptain K
2007-Nov-11, 03:21 AM
New York City?!?!

Get a rope!!!

Van Rijn
2007-Nov-11, 03:49 AM
I'm a little late to the party, but I'm glad to see you're back.

Torsten
2007-Nov-11, 05:13 PM
Very good to see you back.

Swift
2007-Nov-11, 11:45 PM
Miss a day, and you miss a lot. Nice to see you back Kaptain. Enjoy the pizza.

Whirlpool
2007-Nov-12, 12:55 AM
Nice to know you're back from a successful surgery.

I know it feels though I'm not the patient , two weeks ago my son went under surgery too , appendectomy. He's 3 year old, and still a baby to me.

Thank God for modern medicine and medical insurance , because without them , I would probably lost my son.

KaiYeves
2007-Nov-12, 12:57 AM
Happy to hear that your son is okay, Whirpool. I bet you're a great mom.

Whirlpool
2007-Nov-12, 01:06 AM
Thank you Kai, I appreciate it.

;)

rigel
2007-Nov-12, 02:00 AM
welcome back.I'm also trying to make a comeback from a weeks stay in the hosptial. the hardest part is trying to convince the insurance company that I should be elgible for short term disability. You would think not being able to drive and going to a speech therapist would convince them.Now I have more time togo online.

Donnie B.
2007-Nov-12, 03:33 PM
[Dang] straight! :cool: I wasn't born here, but I got here as fast as I could!
Well, I was born in Texas, but my parents got me out as fast as they could (three months old when we left Wichita Falls). Having lived in Houston for a year as a teenager, I understand why!

Ah well, anyplace you can name "ain't for everybody". Thank goodness, or we'd all be living in one place, or else wishing we could.

Glad to hear you're doing well, KK. I just had some minor surgery my own self, so I sympathize (though on a much smaller scale).

Swift
2007-Nov-12, 03:56 PM
welcome back.I'm also trying to make a comeback from a weeks stay in the hosptial. the hardest part is trying to convince the insurance company that I should be elgible for short term disability. You would think not being able to drive and going to a speech therapist would convince them.Now I have more time togo online.
Sorry about your hospital stay rigel. The speech therapist part sounds serious. Good luck on getting better.