PDA

View Full Version : lost all bookmarks

Tinaa
2007-Nov-10, 02:46 PM
Help! Some how I've lost all my bookmarks. My husband said something popped up and he click something. There is also a new blank bar between the address bar and the tool bar. We also lost all of the history. Any ideas? I'd really like to get my bookmarks back. I am using firefox.

Chuck
2007-Nov-10, 02:59 PM
When that happened to me I did a search for files containing a line of text that I knew was in one of the bookmarks and it wasn't found. I never got them back. After eventually restoring most of them one by one I found the bookmarks.html file and now make a backup copy of it whenever I change my bookmarks.

My best guess is that yours are gone forever but maybe someone else here knows better.

jja
2007-Nov-10, 03:02 PM
You have almost definitely contracted some spyware.

Start by downloading Spybot (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html). Follow the installation instructions to update and immunize your computer, then have it check your system.

Do you have an antivirus scanner, and is it up to date?

When the infection is dealt with, we can work on getting the bookmarks back. (Pressing ctrl-b in Firefox will pop up a bookmarks sidebar. If that doesn't work, you can try to locate the physical file by searching for "bookmark" and including hidden or system files. As Chuck mentioned, making a copy is a good idea.)

Tinaa
2007-Nov-10, 03:04 PM
I ran my virus scanner immediately. I'll run spybot now. I'll be back. Thanks.

Tinaa
2007-Nov-10, 03:54 PM
I've found my bookmarks in a hidden folder. Thanks for your help. There were six programs removed by spybot. Now I've still got that blank bar.

tdvance
2007-Nov-10, 05:48 PM
it's probably a "downloadable toolbar" gone wrong--with a bug keeping things for displaying. There's probalby a menu option in (what, Internet Explorer? whatever you use) to remove that toolbar--or try right-clicking on it and see if you get a menu for it.

jja
2007-Nov-11, 05:22 AM
In Firefox, you can right click on the toolbar area to get a menu that lets you select which toolbars show. You may be able to turn it off there.

Also check under tools / add ons and look for anything that doesn't seem to belong there. Items whose names smack of advertising or marketing are particularly suspect (i.e., "hotdealbar" or "savingssearch" or suchlike).

And, it goes without saying, don't accidentally click on popups in the future. %?)