PDA

View Full Version : Another dark nebula - with a chewy center!

tvdavis
2007-Nov-10, 10:00 PM
Here is IC2087 and Barnard 22 in Taurus. I find these dark nebulae to be very challenging to process. To bring out the details in the main dark cloud, the background has to be carefully lightened so to provide a base for some contrast. This, of course, brings out the more subtle clouds in the background whacking the traditional "dark sky" look. IC2087 is the small reflection nebula in the center - the flavorful center!!

http://www.tvdavisastropics.com/astroimages-1_00002b.htm

Comments/criticisms welcome.

Tom Davis
Inkom, ID

kvwood
2007-Nov-10, 10:11 PM
Wow Tom. This is a beauty. Wonderful detail and I think you did a great job finding that "sweet spot" with your background contrast. The framing of the reflection nebula and the the star in the upper right by the dark nebula is beautiful.

Thanks for sharing with us,
Kent

paul f. campbell
2007-Nov-11, 12:01 AM
Hi Tom.
Your dark side is shining through. Another great image. Keep them coming.
Clear skies to you. Paul

RickJ
2007-Nov-11, 01:50 AM
Darker than dark. That is one great image!

Rick

parejkoj
2007-Nov-11, 02:22 AM
Wow. Very nice, as always.

But a question: the "thickest" parts of the nebula are the darkest parts of the image. The background of the region in the upper-right is brighter than the central nebula, for example. Do you think this is because there is a small amount of dust there, brightening that area, or do you think that is due to unresolved stars and background sources (galaxies, etc), that are contributing to the background there, but are fully extincted in the center?

Tucson_Tim
2007-Nov-11, 04:45 PM
That's beautiful Tom! The dark nebula is striking!

JAICOA
2007-Nov-11, 09:35 PM
Tom you have another show stoper wow even with all the dark dust clouds yet the details and the dark clouds makes it simply amusing to study. My hat off to you my friend. Clear Skies

tvdavis
2007-Nov-12, 02:26 AM
Thanks for the kind comments!

Tom

winensky
2007-Nov-14, 01:06 AM
Spectacular and subtle. Just the perfect amount of backgrouund brightness to keep the colours rich. Just beautiful.

Kind regards
Matt