PDA

View Full Version : How not to change a tyre

Sticks
2007-Nov-13, 07:46 AM
From BBC News Online (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7091904.stm)

A US man has injured himself in both legs after attempting to loosen a stiff wheel-nut by blasting it with his gun.

Not the reccomended method :whistle:

mfumbesi
2007-Nov-13, 07:55 AM
This qualifies for the Darwin awards.
Movies should carry a "Don't try this at home" disclaimer, I've seen so many of them (movies) in which the hero shoots at a lock/chain/metal door/...... and bam Bob is your uncle, he is in.

Sticks
2007-Nov-13, 08:01 AM

More like an honourable mention. The guy is still alive

Van Rijn
2007-Nov-13, 08:27 AM
This article goes in slightly more detail:

http://kitsapsun.com/news/2007/nov/10/sk-man-hurts-himself-trying-to-loosen-lug-nut/

Deputies at the scene reported the man blasted "double-ought" buckshot at the wheel from "arm's length," Wilson said.

The deputies described the man's legs as "peppered" from his feet to his mid-abdomen with pellets, pieces of the wheel and other debris. Some injuries went as far up as his chin.

The man had been repairing the Lincoln Continental for two weeks, and had removed all the lug nuts on the right rear wheel except for one.

"He's bound and determined to get that lug nut off," Wilson said, who did not know how long the man had been trying to free the lug nut.

It also mentioned they didn't get too much information from him, as he was apparently in quite a lot of pain.

Maksutov
2007-Nov-13, 08:32 AM
Love the comments about the article.

The details indicate the injuries went to the man's chin. Anything higher probably wouldn't have been too serious.

Van Rijn
2007-Nov-13, 09:26 AM
Yes, the comments are good (scroll down here (http://kitsapsun.com/news/2007/nov/10/sk-man-hurts-himself-trying-to-loosen-lug-nut/)). As one example, I liked:

What does he do when his shoe lace is in a tight knot?

This is a case study for the "What is humor?" thread. On one hand, I don't normally find visuals of somebody getting hurt funny, and this fellow was hurt badly. On the other hand, this is only described in text and my reaction started with, "He did WHAT?"

TrAI
2007-Nov-13, 05:45 PM
People really should learn to be careful with weapons, earlier today I read an article about some guy that had fired a shotgun after some stray dog but ended up hitting a girl that was out playing in the snow when some shot ricocheted of the pavement. She was hit in the shoulder but luckily was not seriously injured, but it could easily have ended up much worse.

Firearms makes it so easy to injure or kill someone, people really need to treat these weapons with respect and extreme caution, after all, they are abused enough for intentional acts, there is no need to add accidents too...

Fazor
2007-Nov-13, 05:53 PM
Firearms makes it so easy to injure or kill someone, people really need to treat these weapons with respect and extreme caution, after all, they are abused enough for intentional acts, there is no need to add accidents too...

I agree. Furthermore, I find it hard to believe that anyone would be dumb enough to attempt to loosen a stuck lugnut on a tire using a shotgun. I thought it was common knowlege that you should use dynamite in that situation. Or plastique, in a pinch. But not a shotgun.

Actually, reminds me of that episode of the Simpsons where homer gets a gun, then uses it for every-day tasks (turn on the tv, shoot open his beer, turn out the lights...by shooting them out, of course, etc.)

Frantic Freddie
2007-Nov-13, 07:53 PM
As the owner of 3 12 ga shotguns I can state with absolute certainty that this guy's a moron.Any experienced shotgunner knows you don't shoot at any hard surface that could cause the pellets to bounce back at you.

He's obviously never heard of the old trick of soaking a rag with Coke & wrapping it around the stubborn nut & keeping it soaked for several hours or days if needed.And he didn't have a breaker bar?

NEOWatcher
2007-Nov-13, 08:05 PM
From the BBC article...

The 66-year-old man from Washington state was repairing his car outside his home when the accident took place.

Accident?

Why is the media so scared to mention that somebody could be to blame?

Fazor
2007-Nov-13, 08:26 PM
They mean he accidently survived and Darwinism failed...? :)
(Okay I'm not that cold, I'm glad he survided..but I hope he's no longer permitted around firearms).

Van Rijn
2007-Nov-13, 08:29 PM
From the BBC article...

Accident?

Why is the media so scared to mention that somebody could be to blame?

Saying it was an accident only means that he wasn't intentionally trying to hurt himself. He still caused it.

Noclevername
2007-Nov-13, 08:33 PM
More like an honourable mention. The guy is still alive

If the ricochet had been a little higher, it would have qualified for a Darwin the other way. :eek:

Van Rijn
2007-Nov-13, 08:39 PM
As the owner of 3 12 ga shotguns I can state with absolute certainty that this guy's a moron.Any experienced shotgunner knows you don't shoot at any hard surface that could cause the pellets to bounce back at you.

As someone not so experienced with shotguns, I still can state with absolute certainty that such an act shows rather significant lack of thought.

Now, if I was really angry, I might put on my safety goggles and go after the wheel with a sledge hammer.

Doodler
2007-Nov-13, 08:39 PM
People really should learn to be careful with weapons, earlier today I read an article about some guy that had fired a shotgun after some stray dog but ended up hitting a girl that was out playing in the snow when some shot ricocheted of the pavement. She was hit in the shoulder but luckily was not seriously injured, but it could easily have ended up much worse.

Actually, I would personally encourage this insanity. Its good for the gene pool for the idiots to so conveniently remove themselves.

Fazor
2007-Nov-13, 08:51 PM
Actually, I would personally encourage this insanity. Its good for the gene pool for the idiots to so conveniently remove themselves.

Yes, unfortunetly it seems more oft than not they inadvertantly remove someone else from the gene pool. That's why I don't often feel sorry for someone who hurts themselves doing something stupid.

Not alwalys, mind you. I've done stupid stuff with the full knowlege that it could go very wrong. But the difference with a story like this, is not just that it could go wrong, but that it would all but HAVE TO go wrong. I mean, really, what other result was he expecting?

Doodler
2007-Nov-13, 09:24 PM
Yes, unfortunetly it seems more oft than not they inadvertantly remove someone else from the gene pool.

Life's like that. Unfortunately, collateral damage is a part of life's little struggles to overcome.

Fazor
2007-Nov-13, 09:34 PM
And you keep those heads in the freezer to remind yourself of that every time you want a bowl of ice cream? ;)

My g/f is one of those people who doesn't laugh at America's Funniest Home Videos when people get hurt, because she "feels bad" for them. (Honestly, makes me want to slap her ;)). But when I see or hear about someone doing something, and it "goes wrong" and they get hurt, the question you have to ask is, "How did they invision that going?". When it's impossible to fathom a scenario that would have gone well, that's when it's funny. Because that's what makes them an idiot. Like this case...how exactly would shooting a shotgun at a tire from close range in order to remove a stuck lugnut gone right?

Captain Kidd
2007-Nov-13, 09:59 PM
Actually, I would personally encourage this insanity. Its good for the gene pool for the idiots to so conveniently remove themselves.Yes, unfortunetly it seems more oft than not they inadvertantly remove someone else from the gene pool.Maybe we could limit them to cleaning weapons. I think that has a higher percentage of self damage than just playing with one. Unfortunately there's still collaterial damage on occasion.

mike alexander
2007-Nov-13, 11:53 PM
In Latin, sui Cheneris.

Noclevername
2007-Nov-14, 12:18 AM
In Latin, sui Cheneris.

Or to coin a phrase in English, a Chene of fools.

publius
2007-Nov-14, 12:18 AM
He just didn't have the proper tool for the job, and used a very improper tool. A decent impact wrench and a big enough air compressor to drive it was probably all he needed there, unless he'd managed to round off the nut. A sledgehammer isn't much of a tool for that job either, unless it's a smaller one and hitting a cold chisel. I have done that and don't want to again. Grinder/cut-off tool, and air chisels are much easier on the arms. :)

Now, another good tool is a cutting torch. Talent is being to cut off the lug nut without damaging the stud, nor even nicking the threads on that stud. I've seen a guy do that very thing. I'm no slacker with a torch, but I'm far from that level.

The root of this little problem is idiots at tire places who overtighten lug nuts. They will have a nice big 2-stage compressor that operates at
150-175 psi. Wonderful thing to have, but not for some of these pot smoking flunkies. They'll hook a little 1/2" drive air wrench to that, which is supposed90 psi max, unregulated, and hit it until it locks and hammers. He'll be very close to wringing it off anyway.

I had one of those idiots actually warp the front rotors on my Crown Vic one time. He didn't evenly tighten the nuts, just did it one at the time with that unregulated air wrench and warped the rotors in the process. Blithering idiot, probably high at the time. After that, I just go out there and tighten them myself. Some of them get mad. I get mad right back.

-Richard

publius
2007-Nov-14, 12:42 AM
Speaking of taking a shotgun to various problems, many moons ago, when I was but a smart-aleck teenager, during a pretty a severe drought a neighbor goes to take a leak in the middle of the night.

Being married, he had to reach down and raise the lid of course, and when he did, there was a nice copperhead snake staring at him. He was just thirsty I'm sure, but being poisonous, he was not welcome. This fellow blasted his own toilet with his double barrel 12 ga., and with both barrels.

He killed the snake, but also killed the toilet and did a good bit of collateral damage to the rest of the bathroom. His wife, who was asleep at the time, nearly had a heart attack, and then had a hissy fit at his destroying her bathroom. He told her be glad she wasn't on it at the time. She moderated her tone a little when she saw the remains of that cooperhead.

I nearly had a heart attack due to a copperhead myself, once. I went out to one of my old sheds and opened a door and walked in. As I did, I felt some fall across my shoulder. It was a little baby copperhead.

And, there was another snake in the toiler incident about 5 years ago. I was out in my shop one fine afternoon and heard a blood curdling female scream. I thought she was dying or lord knows what. Long story, but a woman down the road had just sat down on a toilet and felt something cold and slimy touch her in an unspeakable location.

She was quite distressed. It was just a black snake, not dangerous.

-Richard

Noclevername
2007-Nov-14, 12:46 AM
This fellow blasted his own toilet with his double barrel 12 ga., and with both barrels.

He brought a loaded shotgun with him? I usually just bring some reading material, but to each their own...

publius
2007-Nov-14, 12:53 AM
He brought a loaded shotgun with him? I usually just bring some reading material, but to each their own...

Well, I understand he was bad to get constipated. "All right, you little crap, you're coming out of there or I'm blasting ya!"

-Richard

Trebuchet
2007-Nov-14, 12:54 AM
Since this happened locally, I insist on the thread title being corrected: We don't install "tyres" on our cars here. It's TIRE.

Noclevername
2007-Nov-14, 12:55 AM
Well, I understand he was bad to get constipated. "All right, you little crap, you're coming out of there or I'm blasting ya!"

:eek::eek::eek:

Holy shot!

PetersCreek
2007-Nov-14, 04:19 AM
Since this happened locally, I insist on the thread title being corrected: We don't install "tyres" on our cars here. It's TIRE.

You beat me to it. I was going to suggest that the best way to change a tyre is to carefully remove the "y" and replace it with an "i". :lol:

As mentioned above, I agree this was no accident. This guy intentionally fired the gun at the tire and predictably, the shot ricocheted. It's gross, negligent incompetence. The man is an imbecile. He should be on life support because it would appear he's too stupid to breathe without assistance.

He should consider himself lucky that he only got "peppered". A typical 12-gauge, 00 buck shotgun shell contains about 15 individual pellets with roughly the same diameter as a .32 caliber bullet. An intact ricochet could have been much, much worse.

HenrikOlsen
2007-Nov-14, 04:35 AM
At 66 he's probably already done all the breeding he's likely to. Shooting himself while changing a t[iy]re won't help the gene-pool now.

Captain Kidd
2007-Nov-14, 03:59 PM
A few years ago as I was going out to my car to get something I almost stepped on a stick. Right as my foot (barefoot too) about touched it, it moved. Turned out to be a baby copperhead.
ETA: A few years ago one of my cousins was on the phone and fell backwards onto her bed. Little did she know that a little garter snake had gotten into the house and onto her bed. Her impact bounced the snake into the air and at her. Her scream would have made a horror move director proud.

As for overtightening of the lug nuts. I was changing my brake pads and the ones on the front wheels just wouldn't loosen. I didn't have a cheater bar handy either. I ended up using the hydraulic jack on the end of the wrench as a cheater. It worked pretty good too. I'm tempted to demand that they manually tighten the nuts next time I get new tires. I do not want to be stuck on the side of the road with a flat that I can't change because I can't break loose the nuts.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Nov-14, 04:16 PM
As for overtightening of the lug nuts. I was changing my brake pads and the ones on the front wheels just wouldn't loosen.

Those idiots at the tire stores always use too much torque when tightening the lug nuts. They don't care. In my truck I carry a star wrench, a large breaker bar, and a piece of pipe that fits over the breaker bar and there are times when I thought the breaker bar was going to break. :mad:

mike alexander
2007-Nov-14, 09:53 PM
And they never lube the stud.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Nov-14, 09:54 PM
And they never lube the stud.

You're awful! :lol::)

BTW, Your avatar makes me want to pull a Three Stooges routine and poke your eye - thru the internet. :)