PDA

View Full Version : Comet Holmes is Bigger than the Sun

Fraser
2007-Nov-13, 05:15 PM
All right, that title is a little misleading. In fact, when I first read the original press release, my skepticism alarms went off. But it's true, the amazing Comet Holmes now has a halo that's larger than the Sun. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/11/13/comet-holmes-is-bigger-than-the-sun/)

Slobodan
2007-Nov-15, 04:29 PM
Will this expanding halo of Comet Holmes in some form eventualy reach Earth? What would in such case be the consequences? In any case it seems that such a giant rambling dust cloud will in this or the other way interact with other Solar system bodies.

antoniseb
2007-Nov-15, 04:44 PM
Will this expanding halo of Comet Holmes in some form eventualy reach Earth? What would in such case be the consequences? In any case it seems that such a giant rambling dust cloud will in this or the other way interact with other Solar system bodies.
The dust particles in the cloud do not have enough delta-V to change orbit enough to hit the Earth. But even if they did, I wouldn't expect more than a few milligrams of dust coming into the atmosphere from it over a few days every few years.

tdvance
2007-Nov-15, 04:56 PM
The Earth passed through Halley's Comet's tail in 1910, if I remember right--no noticeable effect.

Todd