PDA

View Full Version : Cosmonauts on reality of Apollo landings

ngc3314
2007-Nov-16, 01:53 PM
The question of Soviet response to the Apollo missions occasionaly arises in the context of hoax theories. While gathering stuff on the history of astronomy from space, I came across a little book "Ryadom so Zvezdami" ("Near the stars") by Pyotr Klimuk, veteran of Soyuz 13 and flights to Salyuts 4 and 6. The book was evidently written in late 1977 (press date 1979). Starting on the first page of chapter 1, he muses (my quick translation):

"By now twenty years have passed. Only twenty! In this short span - an instant i the history of civilization - we saw the far side of the Moon, received signals from human apparatus on other planets, looked on a televised panorama of the "evening star" Venus, and performed analysis of the lunar surface. Above all, in this time humanity began to live in space: there, thrown into weightlessness, he welded metal and raised plants, so that, from beyond the atmosphere, he conversed with Earth via television, laying the groundwork for international cooperation in space.

...And we all watched on television as man took his first steps on the surface of the Moon; watched, delighted but not, if you please, surprised..."

So, in a book distinctly not intended for international consumption, cosmonauts understood the Apollo landings to have actually taken place, as of a few years afterward. I"ll mentally file that with the article from Novosti Kosmonavtiki about Soviet tracking and signal reception from Apollo lunar missions.

novaderrik
2007-Nov-17, 12:34 AM
i'm sure the Cosmonauts got more than their fair share out of the wheat shipments..

KaiYeves
2007-Nov-17, 02:53 AM
i'm sure the Cosmonauts got more than their fair share out of the wheat shipments..
Don't even joke like that, dude.

novaderrik
2007-Nov-17, 05:42 AM
aww, come on.. it's fun to think of things from the perspective of the people that know what "really" happened.

Noclevername
2007-Nov-17, 05:02 PM
<CT reasoning on> But they're Russians! And Russians starts with an R! which rhymes with ARE! So they ARE lying!!!!!! </CT reasoning off>

KaiYeves
2007-Nov-17, 10:30 PM
It's hard to laugh when the secret mirrors in your glasses are showing you a ninja in black gear with two sai climbing in your back window and
help!
dslkfjaslkruhfg

novaderrik
2007-Nov-18, 04:27 AM
so, what, now the Russian space agency is using the Russian mafia, which is using ninjas to silence people who question their motives?
it is, indeed, a strange time we live in..

Noclevername
2007-Nov-18, 04:31 AM
It's hard to laugh when the secret mirrors in your glasses are showing you a ninja in black gear with two sai climbing in your back window and
help!
dslkfjaslkruhfg

If he's climbing, how is he holding two sais?

Donnie B.
2007-Nov-18, 04:48 PM
If he's climbing, how is he holding two sais?
In his teeth, of course.

KaiYeves
2007-Nov-18, 06:11 PM
so, what, now the Russian space agency is using the Russian mafia, which is using ninjas to silence people who question their motives?
You misunderstood the joke.
He was an HB ninja. (Now that is a scary thought)

PhantomWolf
2007-Nov-18, 09:03 PM
You misunderstood the joke.

*ponders if there is a way to introduce NWO Kitty and the CT Ninja without violating the no non-space CT rule.....*

Noclevername
2007-Nov-18, 09:07 PM
In his teeth, of course.

That's the worst dental coverage I've ever heard of. ;)

Count Zero
2007-Nov-20, 03:35 AM

Oh, that's easy to deal with: Show him your birth certificate. This is government evidence that you exist. Since HBs ignore evidence - especially evidence provided by the government - they will immediately and fervently believe that you do not exist. They will still hear you if you mention that there is no alien saucer landing outside, and will leave immediately. Problem solved!

Donnie B.
2007-Nov-20, 06:52 PM
Brilliant! Count Zero, did you ever use the flashy thing on me?

Noclevername
2007-Nov-20, 07:27 PM
Brilliant! Count Zero, did you ever use the flashy thing on me?

No, what you thought was a flash was just the light of Venus passing through swamp gas reflecting off a weather balloon.

KaiYeves
2007-Nov-20, 10:33 PM
Oh, that's easy to deal with: Show him your birth certificate. This is government evidence that you exist.
Actually, I just pulled out my katanas, which are evidence that I know how to deal with ninjas, and the wuss took off running.