PDA

View Full Version : Favourite books

ryanwulf
2007-Nov-17, 07:34 PM
Mine is charlie bone, lord of the rings, icefire and darren shan:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

chrissy
2007-Nov-17, 07:47 PM
i have a lot of favourite books if i wrote them all down i'd be here all night so i will write some of my favourite authors instead if thats ok?
WILBUR SMITH read nearly all of his books loved them all
KARIN SLAUGHTER read all of hers they are my favourite
JEAN M AUEL earths children read all of them i couldnt put them down
DAN BROWN read all of them enjoyed them all too
JEFFREY ARCHER my favourite was KANE AND ABEL
and i like to read books about the crusades and egypt
as you can see i like to read

ryanwulf
2007-Nov-18, 11:46 AM
cool

AndreH
2007-Nov-18, 12:29 PM
As a kid I read everything I could get from "Karl May". (I guess he will only be known in Germany).

Before I turned into a addicted Sci-Fi reader liked "Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain. As far as I remeber the first book I've read more than 3 times.
At that time also anything by Astridt Lingrend.
Jules Vernes: 20.000 miles beyond the sea
As young teenager Krabat by Otfried Preu▀ler
At that time it happened that I found my 12 years older brother's "Perry Rhodan" collection. (as far as I know also only known in Germany, Swiss and Austria). It is a Sci-Fi "sequel story". Every week a new adventure on 60 pages. Started in 1961 and has meanwhile reached episode 2400.
That was my starter drug. Since then I read almost any Sci-Fi that comes my way.
If I really had to pick one book of all that I have ever read, it would for sure be "Life, Universe and all the Rest" by Douglas Adams.

Halcyon Dayz
2007-Nov-18, 01:18 PM
As a kid I read everything I could get from "Karl May". (I guess he will only be known in Germany).

Apparently they even read him in Indonesia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_May).
200 million copies sold in 30 languages.
Much of it in the public domain now.

Read a lot of those too but found them formulaic and repetitive.

Most of my recreational reading is SF. Classics and modern.
My favourite is Jack Vance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Vance), who for some reason is, or at least for a very long time was, the bestselling SF author in the Netherlands.

I some time branch out though. Pratchett is hilarious.

KaiYeves
2007-Nov-18, 05:45 PM
Jules Verne is awesome.
But my favorite book of all time is The Egypt Game by Zilpha K. Snyder. A great story about friendship, imagination and magic.

AndreH
2007-Nov-18, 10:08 PM
Apparently they even read him in Indonesia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_May).
200 million copies sold in 30 languages.
Much of it in the public domain now.
Read a lot of those too but found them formulaic and repetitive.
Most of my recreational reading is SF. Classics and modern.
My favourite is Jack Vance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Vance), who for some reason is, or at least for a very long time was, the bestselling SF author in the Netherlands.

I some time branch out though. Pratchett is hilarious.

bold mine
never checked that, for some reason I thought he was a German phenomenon onl.

100% agree with what you say about his style. I realised that when I was 10 or 11. Since then I haven't touched any of his books.

Fadingstar
2008-May-08, 09:19 PM
Don't know about one particular favourite -though Lord of the Rings comes close and novels by Alan Dean Foster and Terry Pratchett. Also like Harry Harrison, David Eddings, David Gemmell and an assortment of others...

Currently reading The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan...

Parrothead
2008-May-10, 02:59 PM
Not sure if I really have a favourite book, some favourite authors include:

Robert Ludlum (not the stand-alone stuff that is being ghost written, though. The "Bourne" books by Eric Van Lustbader aren't bad).
Frederick Forsythe
Tom Clancy
Carl Hiaasen
James Ellroy

KaiYeves
2008-May-10, 05:55 PM
Stan Lee ;-)

hhEb09'1
2008-May-10, 07:09 PM
Robert Ludlum (not the stand-alone stuff that is being ghost written, though. The "Bourne" books by Eric Van Lustbader aren't bad).
Wouldn't a ghost writer put another name as the author? Are there Bourne books being written like that?

Nadme
2008-May-10, 07:42 PM
The Man Without a Face by Isabelle Holland.

A finely crafted story. Its greatest strength imo is its straightforward poignant simplicity.

(Yes, the story on which Mel Gibson's film was based. Have never seen the film btw).

Mostly by Moonlight by Dorothy Daniels.

This novel is of the Gothic suspense/romance genre. Published in 1965 it's out of print; refer to online sellers or your local used bookstore. :)

Parrothead
2008-May-10, 11:30 PM
Wouldn't a ghost writer put another name as the author? Are there Bourne books being written like that?

Five stand alone books have been released since his death. The first two, "The Sigma Protocol" and "The Jansen Directive", had completed or near completed manuscripts. Those were fine. "The Tristan Betrayal", "Ambler Warning" and "The Bancroft Strategy" were ghost written from partial manuscripts. From the copyright page of "The Tristan Betrayal":

Since his death the Estate of Robert Ludlum has worked with a carefully selected author and editor to prepare and edit this work for publication.

The books are out with Ludlum's name on them. Unfortunately they don't read in his style. I paid for a copy of Tristan Betrayal", the others I checked out of the library. I was unable to finish reading any of them. The "Bourne" sequels say Robert Ludlum's "The Bourne Legacy" and "The Bourne Betrayal" by Eric Van Lustbader. The "Covert-One" Series have been co-written from the start, like Tom Clancy's "Op-Center" books.

mugaliens
2008-May-11, 12:54 PM
I don't have a single favorite. I like most by Clive Cussler, Heinlein, and as a youth, Franklin W. Dixon (the Hardy Boys series). All three are, by far, my favorite authors. I've also enjoyed some of Asimov's work, as well as Anne DeCaffrey (probably slaughtered her name, but she did the Dragon Riders of Pern series that I loved in High School).

Peace Makes Plenty
2008-May-11, 07:31 PM
So hard to pin down favourites.. but i'll go with those that i have reread many times..

Watership Down - Richard Adams
(Stopped me from eating rabbit)

Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien

Small Gods - Terry Pratchett

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
(still makes me angry)

Also anything by Robin Hobb, she's a genius when it comes to storytelling.

jokergirl
2008-May-12, 01:29 PM
Fahrenheit 451 and Ender's Game.
Got a lot of runners-up, though...

;)

Maksutov
2008-Jun-16, 12:06 AM
Just about all scifi authors.

For others genres, Mark Twain tends to be tops. Some of his works are semi-science fiction.

Then there's Updike, Mann, and a whole bunch more.

mugaliens
2008-Jun-16, 12:31 AM
More like favorite authors:

Heinlein
Dan Brown
Clive Cussler
John D. McDonald
Sameul R. Delany