PDA

View Full Version : Queen and Duke mark anniversary

Sticks
2007-Nov-19, 08:04 AM
From BBC News Online (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7101094.stm)

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are set to celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary with a service at London's Westminster Abbey.
They will be joined by some 2,000 people, including more than 30 family members, and their grandson, Prince William, will deliver a reading.

After the service, the Queen and the Duke will visit Parliament Square to unveil a Jubilee Walkway plaque.

Dame Judi Dench will read a specially commissioned poem by Andrew Motion.

Now 60 years is an achievement

Maksutov
2007-Nov-19, 08:56 AM
ZZZZzzzzzzz

http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/muede/a045.gif

Damburger
2007-Nov-19, 10:05 AM
The daughter of a notorious Nazi sympathiser (and possibly a murderer herself...), and a Greek walking diplomatic incident who are supposed to represent Britain... can't say I'm a big fan.

Glom
2007-Nov-19, 10:54 AM
The daughter of a notorious Nazi sympathiser (and possibly a murderer herself...),

Accusations of murder are not lightly bandied around by civilised people. If it is at all related to Diana, you need to check your meds.

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Nov-19, 03:57 PM
Wow. Lots of vitriol here.

Congrats to HM and HRH.

AndreH
2007-Nov-19, 04:34 PM
The daughter of a notorious Nazi sympathiser (and possibly a murderer herself...), and a Greek walking diplomatic incident who are supposed to represent Britain... can't say I'm a big fan.

So her father being a Nazi sympathiser makes her what? I think one should judged by one's own deeds.

dhd40
2007-Nov-19, 04:43 PM

VERY STRANGE! Canīt believe thatīs a serious post on BAUT. How about the modsī reaction?

HenrikOlsen
2007-Nov-19, 06:50 PM
From BBC News Online (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7101094.stm)

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are set to celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary with a service at London's Westminster Abbey.
They will be joined by some 2,000 people, including more than 30 family members, and their grandson, Prince William, will deliver a reading.

After the service, the Queen and the Duke will visit Parliament Square to unveil a Jubilee Walkway plaque.

Dame Judi Dench will read a specially commissioned poem by Andrew Motion.

Looking at the rest of the family, 60 years is indeed a great achievement.

HenrikOlsen
2007-Nov-19, 06:53 PM
VERY STRANGE! Canīt believe thatīs a serious post on BAUT. How about the modsī reaction?

This mod's reaction is to remind you of this part of rule 16:

Do not talk about bad posts or anything else you consider to be inappropriate user behavior in the forum itself or suggest, speculate on, or threaten what the moderator response should be.
If you dislike the post report it, don't discuss it here.

Lianachan
2007-Nov-19, 07:11 PM

Not as much of an achievement as us lot having to put up with that lot for even longer.

mahesh
2007-Nov-19, 07:15 PM
Congratulations and Best Wishes!

Your Majesty and Your Royal Highness!

Disinfo Agent
2007-Nov-19, 07:19 PM
I swear, the first time I looked at the title of this thread I understood it as "Queen and Dude..."

I have nothing against ol' Elizabeth or her Duke, but honestly I'd be more interested in an anniversary of The Queen. ;)

Tucson_Tim
2007-Nov-19, 07:24 PM
I'm reminded of Lt. Frank Drebin of Police Squad:

Thank you, Your Honour. Protecting the Queen's safety is a task that is gladly accepted by Police Squad. No matter how silly the idea of having a queen might be to us, as Americans we must be gracious and considerate hosts.

JohnD
2007-Nov-19, 07:58 PM
AndreH,
Daughter of a Nazi sympathiser?
You are confusing Betty with the Duchess of Kent.

And a walking diplomatic incident?
Having met the guy, he's altogether different.

But then the Winsors were originally the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas, so you would know, wouldn't you? Their main fault has been to have a large family who have all been made senior nobles, when other Eurpoean royal families (Danish, Dutch) have left their offspring not in the direct line of descent to sink into blessed obscurity.

John

AndreH
2007-Nov-19, 08:06 PM
AndreH,
Daughter of a Nazi sympathiser?
You are confusing Betty with the Duchess of Kent.

And a walking diplomatic incident?
Having met the guy, he's altogether different.

But then the Winsors were originally the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas, so you would know, wouldn't you? Their main fault has been to have a large family who have all been made senior nobles, when other Eurpoean royal families (Danish, Dutch) have left their offspring not in the direct line of descent to sink into blessed obscurity.

John

I just quoted. Edit for clarification: And repeated the quote

Gillianren
2007-Nov-19, 10:38 PM
I was going to say, wasn't it the Duke of Windsor who was the Nazi sympathizer? I can't be sure, however, as the royals I know about in detail have all been dead for 400 years or more. My interest has always been in the other Queen Elizabeth of England.

Lianachan
2007-Nov-19, 11:20 PM
My interest has always been in the other Queen Elizabeth of England.

What other Queen Elizabeth of England? There's only ever been one. The current one is Queen Elizabeth of "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"....

:)

Gillianren
2007-Nov-19, 11:34 PM
What other Queen Elizabeth of England? There's only ever been one. The current one is Queen Elizabeth of "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"....

Heh. And the one to whom I refer was Queen Elizabeth of England and Ireland. (I seem to remember the title being much longer, but that's all Wikipedia's providing me with.) Still, we both knew what I meant, and in no other context would I refer to the current Queen Elizabeth as merely Queen of England.

Lianachan
2007-Nov-19, 11:38 PM
Heh. And the one to whom I refer was Queen Elizabeth of England and Ireland. (I seem to remember the title being much longer, but that's all Wikipedia's providing me with.) Still, we both knew what I meant, and in no other context would I refer to the current Queen Elizabeth as merely Queen of England.

Yup, I know. I was just beating my "Hey, England and Britain aren't the same" drum (again).

Halcyon Dayz
2007-Nov-19, 11:44 PM

Queen of France, Defender of the Faith, &c, &c...

KaiYeves
2007-Nov-20, 02:21 AM
My interest has always been in the other Queen Elizabeth of England.
Yeah, she was awesome.
But I'm all for Elizabeth II. Happy anniversary, Your Heighness.

What other Queen Elizabeth of England? There's only ever been one.
From a story I wrote where a modern kid travels back to 1914:
"The girl is crazy. I bet she doesn't even know who the queen is."
"Well, I'm willing to bet that it isn't Queen Elizabeth..."
"Queen Elizabeth? That was centuries ago!"

Gillianren
2007-Nov-20, 03:12 AM
Queen of France, Defender of the Faith, &c, &c...

That's the one. Wikipedia didn't have it, for some reason. (My favourite part is the "Defender of the Faith" bit, since the Pope gave the title to her father not long before his divorce.)

Celestial Mechanic
2007-Nov-20, 05:49 AM
Congratulations to the Queen and the Duke on their anniversary. I know that the incredibly negative things written by some on this forum will not dampen this day for them. A sixtieth wedding anniversary is a rare and marvelous thing; my late grandparents were together for 66 years. My parents, alas, only made it to 52 years before my mother's death did them part.

Hoping not to stray TOO far off the topic, I notice that (at the moment) Sticks' posting count stands at one kilopi (3,142). Congratulations Sticks.

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Nov-20, 06:54 AM
That's the one. Wikipedia didn't have it, for some reason. (My favourite part is the "Defender of the Faith" bit, since the Pope gave the title to her father not long before his divorce.)

I like that bit, too, but for a different reason. Since it's in Latin, the meaning is ambiguous. It can mean "Defender of the Faith," "Defender of Faith," or, my personal favourite, "Defender of a Faith." Clearly it isn't meant as the last one, but it makes me laugh just the same.

dhd40
2007-Nov-20, 02:05 PM

Long before the popeīs, or her fatherīs divorce? :)

dhd40
2007-Nov-20, 02:10 PM
Congratulations to the Queen and the Duke on their anniversary. I know that the incredibly negative things written by some on this forum will not dampen this day for them. A sixtieth wedding anniversary is a rare and marvelous thing(snip)

I really appreciate your comment!

Nadme
2007-Nov-20, 02:11 PM

The Pope?

They're Anglican (Church of England).

You must mean the Archbishop of Canterbury, dear.

As for the Brit Monarchy...you guys can have them. I'm glad no family or person here in the States is able to retain office indefinitely.

Sticks
2007-Nov-20, 02:21 PM
King Henry VIII was granted the title by the pope for writing a treatise agianst protestantism (or something along those lines). This was before the split from Rome.

Maksutov
2007-Nov-20, 02:35 PM
http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/muede/a030.gif

Tucson_Tim
2007-Nov-20, 02:44 PM
"I'm Lt. Frank Drebin! Police Squad! And don't ever let me catch you guys in America!"

HenrikOlsen
2007-Nov-20, 04:08 PM
The Pope?

Timeline:
1521 Pope makes Henry VIII Defender of the faith
1533 Pope excommunicates Henry and the Anglican church is started.

You should learn your history, dear.

Gillianren
2007-Nov-20, 06:46 PM
The Pope?

The Archbishop of Canterbury is under the Queen of England in that particular hierarchy and has been since Henry's Great Matter. In that sense, I suppose Henry could've made the Archbishop give him any title he wanted. However, Henry VIII wrote a lengthy, scholarly treatise about exactly what was wrong with everything Luther said--in Latin, yet--and the Pope (Leo X, and I did have to look that bit up), who was passing around titles of that nature to monarchs like they were candy (hence Their Most Catholic Majesties Ferdinand and Isabella), gave "Defender of the Faith" to Henry.

There was, after all, a time when there were no Protestants, dear.

As for the Brit Monarchy...you guys can have them. I'm glad no family or person here in the States is able to retain office indefinitely.

To be fair, that implies that anyone in the monarchy has any real power. Which they haven't since . . . well, I suppose that depends on how you define "real power," really. Certainly even my beloved Elizabeth I had to depend on Parliament for some things--and didn't her father hate that!

Gillianren
2007-Nov-20, 06:49 PM
Long before the popeīs, or her fatherīs divorce? :)

Actually, a later Pope (Sixtus V?) said that if he and Elizabeth could've had children, they would've ruled the world.

HenrikOlsen
2007-Nov-20, 07:09 PM
There was, after all, a time when there were no Protestants, dear.
Careful about correcting an error with another one:)

The Anglican Church is not protestant, they're basically catholic, but with the king(queen) on top instead of the pope.
Which incidentally is what puts the Bishop of Canterbury under the Monarch.

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Nov-20, 08:04 PM
Actually, that depends on who you ask. In its formative years (er... decades...) the Church of England moved back and forth between Protestantism and Catholicism. So you have a tradition of both. So while it certainly isn't as radically Protestant as, say, Lutheranism, it can't be called truly Catholic, either.

Gillianren
2007-Nov-20, 08:06 PM
Careful about correcting an error with another one:)

The Anglican Church is not protestant, they're basically catholic, but with the king(queen) on top instead of the pope.
Which incidentally is what puts the Bishop of Canterbury under the Monarch.

The Catholics consider them Protestant! To the Catholic perspective (and I was one!), anyone whose faith split from the Catholic Church in that whole post-Luther hoo-ha is a Protestant. Other Protestants may not consider themselves as such, but since when has the Catholic Church cared?

Actually, all of this is why Sir Thomas More is a Catholic saint and martyr; he refused to acknowledge Henry as head of the Church of England, the Divorce as legal, and Elizabeth as legitimate. (He's got pretty amusing last, or almost last--I can't remember which--words, too; he moved his beard out of the way of the ax because he said it had committed no fault.)

JohnD
2007-Nov-20, 09:15 PM
Sorry Anton!
Damburger is the guilty party.
Lt.Drebin! Arrest that malfeancer!

My favourite story about Good Queen Bess:
A courtier, the Earl of Oxford -ahem - broke wind during a conversation with Her Maj.
Mortified, he exiled himself to his country estates for years.
Eventually the Kind Queen missed him, enquired and learning of his situation invited him back to Court.
The noble arrived and was announced.
"Ah! Your Grace! You are thrice welcome!", said the Queen.
"Be of comfort - we have quite forgot the fart!"

JOhn

filrabat
2007-Nov-20, 09:20 PM
Anglicans, Catholic or Protestant?

Depends on how you look at it. Here in the USA, we have no Church of England (since we gained our independence, at least), but we do have the Episcopal Church, which I think (but not 100% sure) recognizes Canterbury's authority.

Ceremonially, they do resemble Catholics to a considerable degree. I think many articles of doctrine from the Roman Catholic church still exist in the Episcopal Church. Unlike many Protestant denominations (Lutheran, Presbyrterian, and so forth), the split did not happen over deep substantive theological disputes, but merely over the Pope's refusal to annul Henry XIII's marriage. So, as I understand it, Henry declared himself head of the English Church, and excommunicated the Pope, who did likewise (don't know who excom'd who first). In that sense, the Anglican Church is not that "Protestant".

However, as you'd expect after a few centuries of non-alegiance to Rome, they drifted a bit further doctrinally from Rome. Anglican and Episcopal preachers are allowed to marry, and there are even female priests in both. Furthermore, the US Episcopal Church is considered a socially liberal denomination, for instance they are lenient about abortion and gay rights. In fact, one Episcopal Diocese in the state of New Hampshire made a bishop of a openly gay (though this is definitely NOT without controversy, as this could well lead to the US Episcopal church splitting in two over this issue). I can't imagine this happening in the Catholic Church (as far as I know, at least).

Even in this case, the Episcopal/Anglican church cannot be said to be Protestant in the same way the Lutherans, Presbyrterians, Methodists/Weslyans and especially the more conservative US religious denominations are (e.g. Southern Baptist Convention, Assemblies of God, various Pentacostal churches, the conservative non-denominational ones).

captain swoop
2007-Nov-20, 09:28 PM
I was going to say, wasn't it the Duke of Windsor who was the Nazi sympathizer?

the Queens Uncle, he would have been Edward the VIII but Abdicated the throne.

The name Windsor was taken in the First World War when it was thought a Germanic name wasn't really appropriate. Queen Victoria the Kaisers Aunt, His mother was British Royalty. It was a tangled web.

Doodler
2007-Nov-20, 09:30 PM

Depends on how you look at it. Here in the USA, we have no Church of England (since we gained our independence, at least), but we do have the Episcopal Church, which I think (but not 100% sure) recognizes Canterbury's authority.

Ceremonially, they do resemble Catholics to a considerable degree. I think many articles of doctrine from the Roman Catholic church still exist in the Episcopal Church. Unlike many Protestant denominations (Lutheran, Presbyrterian, and so forth), the split did not happen over deep substantive theological disputes, but merely over the Pope's refusal to annul Henry XIII's marriage. So, as I understand it, Henry declared himself head of the English Church, and excommunicated the Pope, who did likewise (don't know who excom'd who first). In that sense, the Anglican Church is not that "Protestant".

However, as you'd expect after a few centuries of non-alegiance to Rome, they drifted a bit further doctrinally from Rome. Anglican and Episcopal preachers are allowed to marry, and there are even female priests in both. Furthermore, the US Episcopal Church is considered a socially liberal denomination, for instance they are lenient about abortion and gay rights. In fact, one Episcopal Diocese in the state of New Hampshire made a bishop of a openly gay (though this is definitely NOT without controversy, as this could well lead to the US Episcopal church splitting in two over this issue). I can't imagine this happening in the Catholic Church (as far as I know, at least).

Even in this case, the Episcopal/Anglican church cannot be said to be Protestant in the same way the Lutherans, Presbyrterians, Methodists/Weslyans and especially the more conservative US religious denominations are (e.g. Southern Baptist Convention, Assemblies of God, various Pentacostal churches, the conservative non-denominational ones).

*looks at his denominational scorecard*

Somehow, I don't think this is what the old geezer meant by "be fruitful and multiply"...

filrabat
2007-Nov-20, 09:34 PM
Sorry, forgive me for not thinking, but..

Congratulations and Happy 60th, Your Royal Highness and [what do you call her husband]. Oh, anyway, your marriage itself is quite an accomplishment.

(hey, I'm "just" some "bloke" from way out in Middle America, after all) [grins a toothy grin]

KaiYeves
2007-Nov-20, 09:58 PM
What's it matter, they're all Christians and it was one church before the Great Schism. After that, things have never stopped breaking appart.

Celestial Mechanic
2007-Nov-20, 10:13 PM
[Snip!] The name Windsor was taken in the First World War when it was thought a Germanic name wasn't really appropriate. Queen Victoria the Kaiser's Aunt, His mother was British Royalty. It was a tangled web.
If I'm not mistaken, Queen Victoria was Kaiser Wilhelm II's grandmother. Tsar Nicholas II was another grandson of hers. What a tangled web!

Lianachan
2007-Nov-20, 10:38 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Queen Victoria was Kaiser Wilhelm II's grandmother. Tsar Nicholas II was another grandson of hers. What a tangled web!

European monarchy is, and has been for centuries, an incestuous stramash.

captain swoop
2007-Nov-20, 10:48 PM
Well, you can't marry below your class, it's like Celebs, they live in an equaly closed world so they just marry each other, usualy several times.

Gillianren
2007-Nov-20, 10:51 PM
. . . but merely over the Pope's refusal to annul Henry XIII's marriage.

I think you've got your Roman numerals mixed up, there! VIII is, so far as I can remember, the highest number any English monarch (or British, for the later ones!) gets after their name, and that's good ol' Henry himself, likewise the aforementioned Edward. (Though I'm constantly getting the Edwards screwed up; I inevitably refer to them as "Edward the Somethingth.")

So, as I understand it, Henry declared himself head of the English Church, and excommunicated the Pope, who did likewise (don't know who excom'd who first). In that sense, the Anglican Church is not that "Protestant".

Henry was excommunicated first. Actually, I don't recall reading that Henry VIII excommunicated the Pope, largely because--since the Pope wasn't in England--there was no point to it. However, there are many pointed references to the Pope in writings of the time--and for decades after that!--as "the Bishop of Rome," since the Pope's authority over all branches of the faith was one of the reasons for the split.

No, you're right. However, there is a certain logic to giving them all the same label. The various . . . schisms? sects? At any rate, they were all indeed formed in protest to some aspect of Catholic dogma. Unlike the Catholic/Orthodox schism, wherein each claims that the other did the splitting, it's quite obvious where the splits were here--even if it's "But I don't wanna be married to her anymore!"

Doodler
2007-Nov-20, 10:52 PM
Well, you can't marry below your class, it's like Celebs, they live in an equaly closed world so they just marry each other, usualy several times.

Interesting that in the US, we usually associate those relationships with the opposite end of the social spectrum...

Of course, those the family trees that branch in the opposite direction. Their's looks more like a damned cat's cradle.

Lianachan
2007-Nov-20, 11:01 PM

At least the celebrity genetic pool gets fresh water added sometimes, by the addition of new celebrities and existing ones buying third world children.

Disinfo Agent
2007-Nov-20, 11:03 PM
Interesting that in the US, we usually associate those relationships with the opposite end of the social spectrum...As with everything else, the ends meet. ;)

What's it matter, they're all Christians and it was one church before the Great Schism.Only because western historians tend to gloss over the nestorian and monophysite churches. :)

Tucson_Tim
2007-Nov-20, 11:10 PM
What's it matter, they're all Christians . . .

And that's important?

KaiYeves
2007-Nov-20, 11:15 PM
And that's important?
Well, it is important to remember that, in the bigger picture, all of those sects are part of the same religion.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Nov-20, 11:18 PM
Well, it is important to remember that, in the bigger picture, all of those sects are part of the same religion.

And what religion is that?

KaiYeves
2007-Nov-20, 11:25 PM
And what religion is that?
Anglicans, Catholics and Protestants are all followers of Christianity.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Nov-20, 11:33 PM
Angelicans, Catholics and Protestants are all followers of Christianity.

Not sure what an Angelican is but the other two have gotten along famously over the years.

Noclevername
2007-Nov-20, 11:55 PM
Not sure what an Angelican is but the other two have gotten along famously over the years.

Not until relatively recently, they didn't. A lot of history there, a lot of wars.

ADDED: An Angelican is half angel and half pelican, of course.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Nov-20, 11:56 PM
Not until relatively recently, they didn't. A lot of history there, a lot of wars.

It was sarcasm.

Noclevername
2007-Nov-21, 12:07 AM
It was sarcasm.

My detector is broken.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Nov-21, 12:07 AM
My detector is broken.

I should have used an emoticon.

Lianachan
2007-Nov-21, 12:20 AM
Relatively recently? Try absolutely recently, if not ongoing. Northern Ireland springs to mind.

Noclevername
2007-Nov-21, 12:25 AM
Relatively recently? Try absolutely recently, if not ongoing. Northern Ireland springs to mind.

As of right now, there are only a few places in the world where they're actively fighting. As opposed to that being the status quo everywhere, as it was a few generations before.

Lianachan
2007-Nov-21, 12:28 AM
As of right now, there are only a few places in the world where they're actively fighting. As opposed to that being the status quo everywhere, as it was a few generations before.

Yes, I know. Sadly, it's impossible to be a fan of any Scottish football club without knowing all about it, even not being a fan of either of the two main culprits.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Nov-21, 12:32 AM
ADDED: An Angelican is half angel and half pelican, of course.

:lol: I'd worship one of those.

Noclevername
2007-Nov-21, 12:34 AM
:lol: I'd worship one of those.

Hey, man, what you do in private is your own business, I'm not going to judge you.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Nov-21, 12:42 AM
Hey, man, what you do in private is your own business, I'm not going to judge you.

It makes as much sense as what people have worshiped in the past.

Noclevername
2007-Nov-21, 12:44 AM
It makes as much sense as what people have worshiped in the past.

...Im not going to say anything else, this is right on the edge of the rules. :silenced:

Tucson_Tim
2007-Nov-21, 12:47 AM
OK. Back OT. The Duke and Queen mark their anniversary. Can I put the Duke first in a sentence or is that improper?

Glom
2007-Nov-21, 09:32 AM
Some confusion on styles going on here. The Queen is styled "Her Majesty". The Duke is styled "His Royal Highness" along with all the other royals.

filrabat
2007-Nov-21, 02:25 PM
Some confusion on styles going on here. The Queen is styled "Her Majesty". The Duke is styled "His Royal Highness" along with all the other royals.

Much appreciation for you clearing that up, geek

captain swoop
2007-Nov-21, 04:46 PM
He can't have the title of King, that would put him at the top. He is 'Prince Consort' a title invented for Prince Albert when he married Victoria. If a king gets married he gets to have a Queen because she ranks below a King.

Gillianren
2007-Nov-21, 06:47 PM
He can't have the title of King, that would put him at the top. He is 'Prince Consort' a title invented for Prince Albert when he married Victoria. If a king gets married he gets to have a Queen because she ranks below a King.

Now, that's true. It didn't used to be; it's part of why QEI never married. She'd seen what happened when her sister did.

Disinfo Agent
2007-Nov-21, 09:58 PM
Now, here's a coincidence...

'Full-blown schism' in church, Anglican bishop says -- Conservative faction hints it will announce the formation of breakaway body over issue of same-sex unions (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071121.wschism21/BNStory/National/home)

JohnD
2007-Nov-21, 10:56 PM
All this serious discussion about what is a christian gives me - well I believe that the American term is a Royal pain in the ***.
The Best Religious Joke, as voted for on the Ship of Fools website says it all.

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump. I ran over and said: "Stop. Don't do it."

"Why shouldn't I?" he asked.

"Well, there's so much to live for!"

"Like what?"

"Are you religious?"

He said, "Yes."

I said, "Me too. Are you Christian or Buddhist?"

"Christian."

"Me too. Are you Catholic or Protestant?"

"Protestant."

"Me too. Are you Episcopalian or Baptist?"

"Baptist."

"Wow. Me too. Are you Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord?"

"Baptist Church of God."

"Me too. Are you original Baptist Church of God, or are you Reformed Baptist Church of God?"

"Reformed Baptist Church of God."

"Me too. Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915?"

He said: "Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915."

I said: "Die, heretic scum," and pushed him off.

(http://www.ship-of-fools.com/Features/2005/10_funny.html I can recommend it to believers and sceptics alike, although it is run by believers. Full marks to them.)

John
PS I see that my use of a euphemism by referring to a male donkey has been the subject of the auto-censor, that has replaced that word with three asterisks. How strange the ways of the Internet when I recently received a reprimand from another site for Bowdlerising my own post, replacing vowels with stars.
The Ship of Fools is as refreshingly free of such censorship as it is of the need for censorship. But it does have it's own Biblical Curse Generator, which appropriately came up with, "Listen, O ye child of Jezebel, for you will be as welcome as a fart in the queen's bedchamber!" (See above, "Earl of Oxford") J.

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Nov-23, 02:03 PM
what they do in private is there own business.

mike alexander
2007-Nov-24, 04:06 AM
Did Victoria keep Prince Albert in a can?

Maksutov
2007-Nov-24, 07:02 AM
I was taught that Izaak Walton was The Compleat Anglican.

http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/sportlich/a050.gif

eburacum45
2007-Nov-24, 09:12 AM
HM's full title is "By the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith".

The 'Grace of God' bit dates back to William the Conqueror's son, who obviously didn't believe his luck; the 'Defender of the Faith' bit dates back to Henry VIII, who was a good catholic at the time and probably remained so all his life. The somewhay vague 'and of Her other Realms and Territories' bit has been added especially for Elisabeth, and so has the 'Head of the Commonwealth' bit, making her title longer than that of any previous monarch; longer than Victoria's, who was also the Empress of India.

HM also has a number of other titles, including Supreme Governor of the Church of England, Duke of Normandy, Lord of Mann, and Paramount Chief of Fiji. Note that she is the Duke, not the Duchess of Normandy.

Glom
2007-Nov-24, 09:19 AM
She also has an equivalent of her main title for each of the other 15 sovereignties.

eburacum45
2007-Nov-24, 11:09 AM
Prince Phillip has an impressive list of titles, too, and he is also a god:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Philip_Movement

KaiYeves
2007-Nov-24, 06:05 PM
Very funny!

WHarris
2007-Nov-24, 09:58 PM
the Queens Uncle, he would have been Edward the VIII but Abdicated the throne.

Nitpick: He was Edward the VIII (albeit for only 10+ months) when he abdicated.

Maksutov
2007-Nov-25, 08:14 AM
Did Victoria keep Prince Albert in a can?Very funny!

Wouldn't you, if you were he, want to spend a lot of time in the can?

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9568/victoriabw4.th.jpg (http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?image=victoriabw4.jpg)

captain swoop
2007-Nov-25, 11:02 AM

On a chain by all accounts!

Damien Evans
2007-Nov-27, 05:28 AM
Yes, I know. Sadly, it's impossible to be a fan of any Scottish football club without knowing all about it, even not being a fan of either of the two main culprits.

Go Celtic! :shifty:

Damien Evans
2007-Nov-27, 05:29 AM
I was taught that Izaak Walton was The Compleat Anglican.

http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/sportlich/a050.gif

:clap:

That was a good one.

Damien Evans
2007-Nov-27, 05:32 AM
Anyway, Happy Anniversary to them, but it aint gonna stop me from being a republican! (Interestingly, with our new government in power this is now a chance of happening)

JohnD
2007-Nov-27, 01:11 PM

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9568/victoriabw4.th.jpg (http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?image=victoriabw4.jpg)

You are unkind, Matsukov.
That picture must have been taken in the last years of the 19th Century, when Her Imperial Majesty was nearly eighty years old and had been a widow for forty years. As young woman, she was not unpleasing to the eye, as this picture shows. It also shows that she and Albert were a busy couple, shall we say?

John

Argos
2007-Nov-27, 01:36 PM
The painter must have been kind to her. Being kind to royals used to be common in the past. Our former royal family [of Portuguese origin] were very ugly but you donīt see that in portraits.

Damburger
2007-Nov-27, 05:27 PM
Let me get this straight. Making a post celebrating a pair of highly politicised figures is not provocative, giving an alternative opinion is? Interesting.

Stalin's birthday is coming up soon, maybe I'll check out how fair this system really is.

KaiYeves
2007-Nov-27, 08:16 PM
Stalin's birthday is coming up soon, maybe I'll check out how fair this system really is.
Well, your politics are your buisness.

Lianachan
2007-Nov-28, 06:05 PM

We are not amused...

Lianachan
2007-Nov-28, 06:12 PM
Go Celtic! :shifty:

I do have a slight preference for them over the other lot (Rangers) if pushed, but care not a jot about either really. I'm a Ross County man, through and through!