PDA

View Full Version : Cures in the kitchen

Sticks
2007-Nov-19, 08:57 AM
On one of the portal sites I come across, I found this little lot (http://www.supanet.com/lifestyle/lifestyle_galleries/gallery/994/1/sm1).

Which shows a number of home cures found in everyday food.

Now I know about ginger from Mythbusters, but are the others correct, and do you know of any others.

AndreH
2007-Nov-19, 02:26 PM
On one of the portal sites I come across, I found this little lot (http://www.supanet.com/lifestyle/lifestyle_galleries/gallery/994/1/sm1).

Which shows a number of home cures found in everyday food.

Now I know about ginger from Mythbusters, but are the others correct, and do you know of any others.

From those listed I know that garlic in general is thought to be beneficial. And I have heard of onions to cure stings. I do not know if this is true. For the Curry to cure problems with stomach it worked one time for me (unintentionally) as in january this year I had a very heavy viral infection which knocked me out for 2 days and cause problems for another 4 weeks. It suddenly stopped after I hasd a green Thai chicken curry. From scinetific point of view not very reliable data I guess.

For the honey I can say it is for sure true honey contains antiseptic substances. But do not ask me for concentrations or if they still work if swallowed.

My mom believed minced apple (you it gets brown and does not look very good) would help to cure diarrhoe (did not check the spelling). Not sure if it really works.

What definetly helps me with stomach problems is a tea made of "Fenchel, Anis, Kümmel" That is: fennel, anise, carraway.

NEOWatcher
2007-Nov-19, 02:37 PM

Are you going to add this to your banana experiments?

The humble (yet overripe) banana could give verrucas a kick in the behind. Tape the inside of a peel of a banana over the top of it before you go to bed every night until it goes.

Over the top of the verrucas or the top of your behind? :think:

chrissy
2007-Nov-19, 03:19 PM
Are you going to add this to your banana experiments?

Over the top of the verrucas or the top of your behind? :think:

probably get a kick in the behind when you slip on the skin thats on the foot before you go to bed to remind you that you have a banana skin on your foot!:doh::shifty:
lemon or vinegar is also good for wasp stings applied straight away.
lavender oil is good for grazes and scars.
lemon and honey mixed with hot water is good for colds.
hot milk and bread poultice is good for boils and cysts, it supposed to draw out the infection.
now using sliced cucumber on acne will get rid of them zits and cools the face down too

JohnD
2007-Nov-19, 06:49 PM
There are bacteriacidal agents in honey, but the main effect is is due to it being such a concentrated solution. Any bacterium, or other living cell that finds it's way in is dehydrated to a crisp by osmosis. It is possible for mould to grow on the surface of honey (or jam, both very concentrated sugar solutions) but not to colonise it completely. If you go to PubMed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez) and search for "Honey Wounds" you will find over 150 references. Honey dressings are being used for MRSA infected wounds with good effect.

Verrucas? Plantar (foot sole) warts? Pshaw! The natural history of these is usually to go away after a while, so any 'cure' can work. I have amazed my nephews and nieces (of school age, a common time for wart infections) and their parents by 'buying' warts. I pay them a small amount (50p - a US dollar) to purchase their affliction and Lo! within weeks it disappears! The offer of free money of course is a potent bias but payment is allowed to recruit volunteers into an experimental trial.

But Hot Lemon and Honey for a cold? Bliss!

John

mike alexander
2007-Nov-19, 07:08 PM
Tincture of honey with a twist of lemon is a well-known relaxant. The more tincture the better, usually.