PDA

View Full Version : a little GENUINE help (about tesla coils)

biomechanic
2007-Nov-19, 11:29 AM
does anybody know what the logistics, and legislation of playing a prank in a cyber cafe involving a tesla coil (im sure you can imagine what i plan to do) are. obviously, i dont want to break any of the comoputers and i dont want to go breaking the law. any help at all?

Halcyon Dayz
2007-Nov-19, 11:35 AM
Best advice. Don't.

People don't respond well to that kind of "humour".
And they have lawyers.

biomechanic
2007-Nov-19, 11:38 AM
i spelt computers wrong, didnt i.

Moose
2007-Nov-19, 01:04 PM
Okay, suppose you do zap someone in a public place. It doesn't take much imagination to see you answering assault charges (most places), attempted murder or murder (if you zap someone with a pacemaker or heart condition and end up triggering something medical), or some variant of terrorism charges (if you try this stunt in Boston.)

Not to mention the wacky fun that can happen in a civil court. And that's assuming you didn't get yourself shot by the victim you thought wasn't packing.

I'm with Halcyon Dayz. Don't. Far too many things can go wrong.

tlbs101
2007-Nov-19, 06:20 PM
The problem with a Tesla coil of any substantial size (for which you would need to play the prank a which I can imagine) is, that it is an unlicensed transmitter on a very broad band. The power levels, bandwidth, and interference alone breaks several FCC federal laws.

Even if you have a radio-amateur licence to operate on those bands (below broadcast AM, generally) and at those power levels (1-100 Watts ERP for your standard home-built Tesla coil), you still have the problem of high bandwidth and interference.

When I operate my Tesla coil, it is for very short periods of time, and I always keep my eye out for those government vans bristling with antennae.

triplebird
2007-Nov-19, 10:54 PM
Don't. It just takes one sourpuss to ruin your whole day.

Also, I don't know your location, but the legalities/liabilities previously mentioned very likely apply worldwide, so I wouldn't try this even if you live outside the USA.

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Nov-20, 04:39 PM
I'll say it, too. Don't. Tesla coils can be, well, very, very dangerous. If you don't want to hurt anyone, your best bet is to just not do it.

Jeff Root
2007-Nov-20, 05:06 PM
Can anyone clue me in on what he is sure I can imagine he plans
to do with his Tesla coil?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

The Supreme Canuck
2007-Nov-20, 05:13 PM
Couldn't tell you. Hide the thing in the room then turn it on?

Tog
2007-Nov-20, 05:14 PM
Can anyone clue me in on what he is sure I can imagine he plans
to do with his Tesla coil?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
What he said.

chrissy
2007-Nov-20, 07:53 PM
does anybody know what the logistics, and legislation of playing a prank in a cyber cafe involving a tesla coil (im sure you can imagine what i plan to do) are. obviously, i dont want to break any of the comoputers and i dont want to go breaking the law. any help at all?

well i think that you will cause a lot of damage to the computers for a start especially in a cyber cafe and also for a lot of people around not just the victim of your sad prank, come on how old are you? cant you think of a better prank like tampering with the keyboard so that every letter typed is wrong or something like that! or are you keen to go to jail to get a boyfriend?:sick:

Noclevername
2007-Nov-20, 08:04 PM
obviously, i dont want to break any of the comoputers and i dont want to go breaking the law. any help at all?

Yeah, don't do it. That's the biggest help you can get.

PS, What you have planned is breaking the law.

Doodler
2007-Nov-20, 08:40 PM

Why worry about breaking the law when you should be more worried about what parts of your body the now computerless cyber cafe patrons will be breaking when you execute this little maneuver...:lol:

toejam
2007-Nov-20, 09:31 PM
Two words Biomechanic:

GROW UP

Jeff Root
2007-Nov-22, 09:55 AM
I really would like someone to spell out for clueless me what this guy
had in mind. What do you think he thinks his Tesla coil would do?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

chrissy
2007-Nov-22, 09:51 PM
I really would like someone to spell out for clueless me what this guy
had in mind. What do you think he thinks his Tesla coil would do?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

well im going out on a limb here but i think he/she wants to shock someone, probably for a big prank pull off and damage the entire cyber cafes computers then tell the world what he did to someone . i dont know he/she hasnt come back on line or responded to anything except that "computer" was spelt wrong!:doh:

ozzmosis
2007-Nov-29, 12:37 AM
i think you guys scared the crap out of him ,, he as nt messaged back,,,lol

and if he did do well he s an idiot,,,... i mean when i was younger we used to build boozokas with beer cans now that was fun did t hurt no one well.. maybe thats an other story ,lol

Noclevername
2007-Nov-29, 12:38 AM
Maybe he can't answer because he blew out his computer practicing.

Van Rijn
2007-Nov-29, 01:13 AM
well im going out on a limb here but i think he/she wants to shock someone, probably for a big prank pull off and damage the entire cyber cafes computers then tell the world what he did to someone . i dont know he/she hasnt come back on line or responded to anything except that "computer" was spelt wrong!:doh:

Well, he said he didn't want to break any computers or laws, so my best guess is that he wanted to do something flashy but that wouldn't hurt anyone or anything. He probably just didn't realize the potential for problems with something like this, and was surprised by the negative responses.

Jeff Root
2007-Nov-29, 12:28 PM
Well, he said he didn't want to break any computers or laws, so
my best guess is that he wanted to do something flashy but that
wouldn't hurt anyone or anything. He probably just didn't realize
the potential for problems with something like this, and was
surprised by the negative responses.
So, what do you think he could have had in mind when he said:

im sure you can imagine what i plan to do
?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

chrissy
2007-Dec-07, 08:11 PM
Maybe he can't answer because he blew out his computer practicing.

probably right there the fool
:whistle:

Michael Noonan
2007-Dec-08, 01:20 PM
I believe it would be viewed as a weapon of last resort like a taser or stun gun but the effects could carry a long way. The very small voltages through delicate circuitry could be severely disrupted.

Curiously though the maintenance technician that does the repair work on them here in Perth is reputed to work in the cage right along side the thing. Is that possible?

Now going slightly off track for a second ... because it is such a different transmitter is there any part of the real scientific community that do any sort of study on Tesla's idea that space is really very stiff?

chrissy
2007-Dec-08, 10:06 PM
I believe it would be viewed as a weapon of last resort like a taser or stun gun but the effects could carry a long way. The very small voltages through delicate circuitry could be severely disrupted.

Curiously though the maintenance technician that does the repair work on them here in Perth is reputed to work in the cage right along side the thing. Is that possible?

Now going slightly off track for a second ... because it is such a different transmitter is there any part of the real scientific community that do any sort of study on Tesla's idea that space is really very stiff?

if you go on "you tube" and look up tesla coils you will see different sizes and when in a cage you are safe to a point. it is very interesting, different sizes of the things, even the small ones can burn