PDA

View Full Version : I Heard of someone claiming to own the moon...?

Jpax2003
2003-Aug-02, 07:04 AM
I just saw this on TV recently. Perhaps it's been discussed. I didn't know where this should be posted. but I thought the Bad Astronomer would know what's up with this if anyone does.

The place is called the www.lunarembassy.com and they claim a loophole in the Space Treaty of 1967 allows individuals and corporation to own space estate, even though it forbids governments from doing so.

Is this legit?

Jpax

Musashi
2003-Aug-02, 07:19 AM
It is not true.

man on the moon
2003-Aug-02, 07:21 AM
It is not true.

correct! know why? because I own it all...it's me after all. :wink:

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Aug-02, 07:41 AM
That's a misnomer... :wink:

mutant
2003-Aug-02, 07:44 AM
So many idiots. So little time.

Stylesjl
2003-Aug-02, 09:23 AM
So many idiots. So little time.

*runs*

Odinoneeye
2003-Aug-02, 09:29 AM
Well since there's a crater on the dark side of the moon (ducks while BABBers yell "FAR SIDE YOU MORON") is named after me, I'll take that one.

(For purposes of anonymity, I won't reveal which crater)

gethen
2003-Aug-02, 02:20 PM
I voted no because if I own property there someone, somehow, is gonna find a way to tax me on it. :roll:

Jpax2003
2003-Aug-02, 03:24 PM
I didn't think much of it, but wondered how many had heard it. I think the same guy claimed the other planets and their moons as well and even calls himself a galactic government. I fail to see how you can own it if you don't stand on it. Otherwise I might claim the entire universe... being on earth I do stand on part of it, so my claim is staked.

Now I only have to wait 7 years to see if God, challenges me on this.

JPax

The Bad Astronomer
2003-Aug-02, 04:37 PM
Yup; it's been discussed in this thread (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4155), this one (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3119), and this one (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1081).

As a gentle reminder, use the search engine on the board. It'll save you time! 8)

Chuck
2003-Aug-02, 10:03 PM
It could be dangerous to claim ownership of other planets. The local governments there might expect you to pay property tax, and the penalty for tax evasion might be death.

That could be a good scam. If someone claims an extrasolar planet I could claim to be employed by the Galactic Federation as a tax collector and sue him for several billion years worth of back taxes. Even better, I could send tax bills to his customers. Since they were gullible enough to buy property on those planets they might also be willing to pay a small property tax.

Jpax2003
2003-Aug-03, 08:17 PM
Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land was used in a patent lawsuit over waterbeds. Apparently he had described the contraption in the book, people liked it and made them and sold them. However someone realized no patent had been issued, he tried to get one to block competition. However he lost because the design was already in the public domain. Or something like that (Heinlein Expanded Universe pg516).

Now, This book also talks about lunar and martian property rights and the ideas of sovereingty in space. Maybe it could be used in evidence against Lunar Embassy.

Also, if we want to talk precedent, the Bible says that the earth is is the dominion of man, by exclusion that can mean that the moon is not our dominion.

Also, the literature I have seen for the Lunar Embassy calls it the Earth's Moon. However, scientists and most literate people will readily recognize the fact that the moon does not orbit the earth and therefore can be argued that is not owned by it. The Moon orbits a common point between the earth and the moon. Moreover, the Earth-Moon system should be considered a binary and that should mean equality rather than ownership (if science and politicions decide to describe it as such).

As an aside, why don't we challenge Lunar Embassy et al to a water-ballon fight and call it the First Interstellar War (Wet Firecracker War?)

Is there any working group actually drafting space law? I wanna get involved. I wanna see mankind in space in earnest, but I don't want to see the lunar face turned into a giant billboard like in that automobile commercial. There must be some middle ground.

JPax

Madcat
2003-Aug-04, 04:44 AM
Heh. The poll here is a bit misleading. See, I'd love to own a piece of the moon. I'd live on it too. I would NOT buy it from this jerk.

Jpax2003
2003-Aug-04, 06:33 PM
Heh. The poll here is a bit misleading. See, I'd love to own a piece of the moon. I'd live on it too. I would NOT buy it from this jerk.

Sorry about that. I was just asking if people wanted to own land on the moon in general. We could discuss purchasing with the lunar land grab type companies, or we could look into more realistic and pragmatic approaches to lunar property.

BTW I had an idea. in Heinlein's Moon is a Harsh Mistress he wrote the moon was originally a penal colony. Maybe it still should be. If these lunar land grab companies are determined to be frauds, then perhaps their progenitors could be sentenced to exile on the moon. How's that for irony?

JPax

Mr. X
2003-Aug-04, 06:48 PM
I Heard of someone claiming to own the moon...?

Oh yes, sorry, that was me.

I'm always making outrageous claims like that.

I invented the question mark.

jkmccrann
2005-Oct-21, 03:34 PM
But isn't it there for all mankind? :)

Matherly
2005-Oct-21, 04:16 PM
Dang! A two year(+) old thread ressurection!

I'm midly concerned about undead threads shambling there way to the top of the lists and eating the brains of other threads... ;)

Sock Munkey
2005-Oct-21, 05:40 PM
It's a moot point untill we have the ability to colonize it.

Laminal Cockroach
2005-Oct-21, 06:21 PM
Oh yes, sorry, that was me.

I'm always making outrageous claims like that.

I invented the question mark.

No you didnt I did

Monique
2005-Oct-21, 07:42 PM
Well since there's a crater on the dark side of the moon (ducks while BABBers yell "FAR SIDE YOU MORON") is named after me, I'll take that one.

(For purposes of anonymity, I won't reveal which crater)
No dark side?? But I buy whole dark side of moon yesterday!! :eek:

:)

Gillianren
2005-Oct-21, 09:43 PM
No you didnt I did

But you don't use punctuation.

Enzp
2005-Oct-22, 09:23 AM
there is no punctuation on the moon not enough gravity commas float away nothing left but a pile of these ;;;;;;;;;

SolusLupus
2005-Oct-22, 12:28 PM
But you don't use punctuation.

Bah, because he's selling his product, not using it! He makes more money that way. He probably also doesn't like to advertise his product. :P

WaxRubiks
2005-Oct-22, 02:40 PM
who invented '' then?

SolusLupus
2005-Oct-22, 02:41 PM
The Anti-Laminal Cockroach, of course. Super villain of the universe!

Why this is true, while Laminal Cockroach isn't quite heroic, I don't know. Maybe it's just an evil thing.

Gemini
2005-Oct-22, 04:04 PM
Reminds me of that time my evil twin tried to fry famous landmarks with a space-based giant laser,or was that Dr Evil?

genebujold
2005-Oct-22, 09:34 PM
Any land up for grabs is fair game. Do I believe it's right for individuals to own pieces of the Moon or other planets?

No way.

But if they're giving it away, I'll take my slice, and make sure that it's used for noble purposes!

SolusLupus
2005-Oct-22, 10:08 PM
"owning" parts of the moon would be very necessary in order to build moonbase, and colonize the moon. There's a few resources up there we could possibly use. I'm for owning it, as long as you can prove you can do something useful with it.

Chuck
2005-Oct-23, 04:16 AM
I'm going to sue Lunar Embassy. Their moon is blocking the view of the star I bought from the International Star Registry.

ASEI
2005-Oct-23, 04:55 AM
I intend to own most of the hydrogen rich soils, so I can suck it all up and sell it to you for just under the demand price. :-P

mickal555
2005-Oct-23, 01:04 PM
I think it was the pizza, I don't think it matters why though