PDA

View Full Version : Interorbital System offer alternative to SpaceX (And On TV)

diamondspaceguy
2007-Nov-27, 09:57 PM
Guys
There is an interesting post at http://spacefellowship.com/News/?p=3806
It seems to be an in depth interview with Interorbital Systems?

Does anyone know anything about them?

Could they be an alternative to SpaceX?

Has anyone got any info on them, not too much info on their website!

Seems good they got the $1 million on funds from a tv company though! should be a great little film, why hasnt this been done before?

:lol:

Noclevername
2007-Nov-28, 04:00 AM
Seemed more like an in-depth advertisement to me.

Zachary
2007-Nov-28, 02:33 PM
SpaceX have junked $100 million on development and haven't got a single payload into orbit, and these guys expect to manage it with $1.2m? I'm not holding my breath.

cjl
2007-Nov-28, 04:06 PM
The claimed budget sounds absurdly low for what they're planning on achieving, to the point that I would claim that they will never get anything off the ground. I hope that they have decent success, but the first step towards that will be a much larger budget.

NEOWatcher
2007-Nov-28, 04:57 PM
The claimed budget sounds absurdly low for what they're planning on achieving...
It's not clear what that 1.2M is for. I interpret the story as the mission itself is going to be 1.2M, but the research, development and testing is a seperate budget. Which, in thier words, "all hinges on a constant flow of funding.

While I applaud the effort, I still think that private viability is not there yet if they are going to rely on "micro-philanthropists".

diamondspaceguy
2007-Nov-28, 04:59 PM
I think the people sending $1 thing should get them some cash but perhaps not enough to fund an orbital craft lol!. Perhaps just the advertisement of projecting an orbital flight within 12 months will be enough to make other people step up their game a bit.

publiusr
2007-Dec-07, 08:17 PM
They are what's left of the pressure-fed advocates who worked with Truax, who is not in good health these days.

He was the one who was ignored because people thought Sea Dragon "technically uninteresting."

Bill Sprague also was worked with pressure feds in the X-prize, but was ignored because winged designs like Rutan's are considered sexy.

Quest magazine is to have a Truax special coming out.

The pressure-fed people don't get a lot of help these days...

KaiYeves
2007-Dec-08, 10:27 PM
Aw, but I like names with an "x" in them. They look so cool! Why do you think Stan Lee called the comic "The X-Men"?
And if the words are run together with a cool word like space, well...
SpaceX is just about the coolest name you can have.
;-D

publiusr
2007-Dec-14, 07:01 PM
I hope Elon does well.