PDA

View Full Version : Preventing a sink from shipping

Nicolas
2007-Nov-28, 09:45 AM
Mothers, one thing's certain: we all had one. And those who still have one will recognize the following: when you finally decide to leave home, she'll bring home to you! "just to make you feel at home". Never mind the whole point of leaving home was... well you get the point. So there you are, living on your own, phone rings. "I found these tea cups you loved so much in primary school. you want them? Oh don't worry, I'll send them!" "Would you like to have the curtains from your room? I can send them if you like." etcetc. It's ok, that's what mothers do.

Some mothers however, take this too far. Yes mother, indeed I've spend hours and hours playing with the toy soldiers in and around the kitchen sink, pretending it was a glacier to be crossed, an ocean, fort Knox... but please, please leave it at home. You'll need it, and it would cost you tons to ship it to my place. Knowing mothers, "no" of course is not an answer. So if you'd find yourself in such a situation, how would you prevent the sink from shipping?

yes, all this just to justify a pun on another thread's title.

Maksutov
2007-Nov-28, 09:59 AM
As with everything else, a quote from Monty Python and the Holy Grail takes care of this.

Concerning the sink, tell her you've "already got one."

She must realize it's sink or swim.

Concerning the pun, it seemed to be more of a spoonerism.

Moose
2007-Nov-28, 10:18 AM
There's only one way to stop a mother from doing that: shoot on sight. I wish I were kidding.

(More) seriously, you can try talking to her. It's unlikely to work, but you can try.

HenrikOlsen
2007-Nov-28, 10:34 AM
1 Corinthians 13:11, King James version

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
1 Corinthians 13:11, HenrikOlsen version

When I had been a man for several years I spoke unto mother saying: I am not your little boy anymore, stop treating me like I am.

Laguna
2007-Nov-28, 10:51 AM
Be direct and do not move from your point. Get your Dad in the boat.
Make it very clear to your mother that you do not want to have it. If she ships it nonetheless, return it.
It might hurt her a little, but sometimes thats what is needed to get the distance between you.
Some mothers need a knock right on their forehead to realize that their boys are no longer 10 years old.
She might be upset she might be hurt afterwards but only for a short time.

Oh, and the ultimate solution: Get a wife! ;)

torque of the town
2007-Nov-28, 11:50 AM
Oh, and the ultimate solution: Get a wife!

Believe that and you could knit fog.......

Laguna
2007-Nov-28, 12:44 PM
Getting a wife naturally includes producing some children to upgrade your mother from "ma" to "grandma", taking you out of the fireline.

farmerjumperdon
2007-Nov-28, 01:20 PM
Humor her. Forgive the perfectly normal mildly nuerotic motherly behavior. Put the sink in the garage or attic or wherever for a while, then toss it later. Unless the behavior goes completely over-the-top psychotic, tolerance and understanding is key.

Someday too soon she will be gone forever.

Nicolas
2007-Nov-28, 01:32 PM
for the record, my mother is not trying to ship the sink to me. :D

Jim
2007-Nov-28, 02:08 PM
Getting a wife naturally includes producing some children to upgrade your mother from "ma" to "grandma", taking you out of the fireline.

1. You have just demonstrated why her keeping those toy soldiers all those years was the right thing to do... so your children can play with them.

2. You have given her an excuse... er, reason to spend even more time at your place and become even more involved with what's happening there.

3. You have not removed yourself from the line of fire; instead, you have become an even bigger target as she enthralls your kids with tales of your childhood :o and remonstrates you for not raising her grandkids right :rolleyes:.

4. You have given her either an ally, an enemy, or both in your wife. They will gang up on you, stick you in the middle of their arguments, or alternate between the two.

Your best bet is to become a Catholic priest (convert if necessary). She can brag about you to her friends, but she'll have no daughter-in-law or grandkids to meddle with, she can't keep asking you when you'll marry and have kids, you'll have no place she can redecorate or stay on visits, and you can claim "church duties" keep you from visiting more often.

crosscountry
2007-Nov-28, 02:35 PM
Humor her. Forgive the perfectly normal mildly nuerotic motherly behavior. Put the sink in the garage or attic or wherever for a while, then toss it later. Unless the behavior goes completely over-the-top psychotic, tolerance and understanding is key.

Someday too soon she will be gone forever.

I prefer the "I already have one" approach.

My mom keeps trying to send me my old stuff, but her reason is that she's tired of looking at it.

Nicolas
2007-Nov-28, 02:38 PM
My mom keeps trying to send give my my old stuff, but her reason is that ths'e tired of looking at it.

Ask her to send you your old keyboard. Looks like it might be useful. ;)

crosscountry
2007-Nov-28, 03:05 PM
Ask her to send you your old keyboard. Looks like it might be useful. ;)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Man, talk about not paying attention:doh:

Infinite Horizons
2007-Nov-28, 03:28 PM
My advice is - take it, smile and say thankyou with love and xxxs - and then put it on ebay!

torque of the town
2007-Nov-28, 03:47 PM
Your best bet is to become a Catholic priest

Sex or Sink :confused:

sarongsong
2007-Nov-28, 04:25 PM
...My mom keeps trying to send me my old stuff...Take the comic books! :)

Infinite Horizons
2007-Nov-28, 04:37 PM
Ok... Ebay your mother!

Infinite Horizons
2007-Nov-28, 04:39 PM
Bang a reserve in... free postage.. used but in good condition..

Nicolas
2007-Nov-28, 05:03 PM
...comes with free kitchen sink...

Infinite Horizons
2007-Nov-28, 05:25 PM
hahaha.... nice:)

Matherly
2007-Nov-28, 05:38 PM
Who would want to set up a 'Ship (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipping_%28fandom%29) with a Sink? Is this some sort of bizzare plumbing fetish I am blissfully unaware of? :confused:

torque of the town
2007-Nov-28, 05:55 PM
some sort of bizzare plumbing fetish

You mean it could be just a load of Ballcocks?

NEOWatcher
2007-Nov-28, 06:07 PM
Hear we go... another thread driven right down the drain.

DyerWolf
2007-Nov-28, 07:01 PM
At least our mature BAUTers have refrained from toilet humor...:sick:

Nicolas
2007-Nov-28, 07:14 PM
I feel a strong desire to play the ship ship sink by Sonny&Cher...

Moose
2007-Nov-28, 07:31 PM
For some reason, I have an urge to announce "G-17".

crosscountry
2007-Nov-28, 11:35 PM
Take the comic books! :)

and the base ball cards ;)

novaderrik
2007-Nov-29, 12:04 AM
i've managed to get rid of most of the stuff i had as a kid- but, at 33 years old, i'm buying Transformers again...

Moose
2007-Nov-29, 01:04 AM
I recently got a hold of my old cub and scout stuff. I may figure out sewing again and finish my campfire blanket. None of my scouting patches are on it yet.

crosscountry
2007-Nov-29, 01:06 AM
i've managed to get rid of most of the stuff i had as a kid- but, at 33 years old, i'm buying Transformers again...

Is there a place to buy real transformers? I've been to RadioShack, but they have cars OR robots, but nothing that actually transforms. I'd like to see some of those.

Noclevername
2007-Nov-29, 01:22 AM
My advice is - take it, smile and say thankyou with love and xxxs - and then put it on ebay!

But then you'd have to deal with the inevitable motherly drama when she comes to visit, asking, "So where's that lovely sink I sent you? I wanted to keep it myself, it meant a lot to me-- your great-grandmother gave me that sink on her deathbed, she brought it over from the old country-- but I knew how much you loved it, and I wanted to give it to someone who would truly treasure it and care for it. Now, where did you say it was?"

weatherc
2007-Nov-29, 03:01 AM
I have a pet lizard that can't seem to climb the walls like other lizards can. He keeps falling off because he can't hang on.

Does anyone know how to prevent a skink from slipping?

Noclevername
2007-Nov-29, 03:07 AM
I had a problem with a flight simulation, I couldn't keep the plane on a straight path; it kept swerving back and forth like it was avoiding fire, even in an open sky. When I called they said it must be a hardware problem in my computer's pentium processor.

How do you keep a chip from jinking?

Kaptain K
2007-Nov-29, 07:17 AM
I have a pet lizard that can't seem to climb the walls like other lizards can. He keeps falling off because he can't hang on.

Does anyone know how to prevent a skink from slipping?
Put some skank on it! :whistle:

farmerjumperdon
2007-Nov-29, 01:49 PM
But then you'd have to deal with the inevitable motherly drama when she comes to visit, asking, "So where's that lovely sink I sent you? I wanted to keep it myself, it meant a lot to me-- your great-grandmother gave me that sink on her deathbed, she brought it over from the old country-- but I knew how much you loved it, and I wanted to give it to someone who would truly treasure it and care for it. Now, where did you say it was?"

That's why you put it in the garage and pull it out when she visits. It's really not that much work. Consider it as paying your dues; because we will eventually do the same to our kids.

crosscountry
2007-Nov-29, 02:20 PM
with the same sink.

triplebird
2007-Dec-01, 04:45 PM
Is there a place to buy real transformers? I've been to RadioShack...

Hm, I just bought a transformer at Radio Shack a few days ago; 120V AC to 6V DC. Oh, not that kind of transformer... :D

i've managed to get rid of most of the stuff i had as a kid...

I haven't: I still have the great majority of my toys, including my (extremely) large collection of stuffed animals--they take up about half my room's floor space if they're all out at once. So no worries about my parents sending all to me, I already have all my old things...