PDA

View Full Version : Crisis 19 January 2009

Werfer
2007-Nov-29, 04:11 AM
On 20 January 2009 President Bush is scheduled to hand over to his successor.

What if a surprise major crisis erupts on the very day before?

Something like a 911 or a war with Iran or a major environmental and economic catastrophe, and his successor is someone like a Hillary, an Obama or even a Ron Paul ie someone Bush, Cheney and the US military perceive as being very wimpish, inexperienced "unsafe hands", especially at short notice.

Is there any law or constitution they could invoke to delay the presidential transfer, until the crisis is over?

Is it conceivable that Democrats and Republicans would all mutually agree to delay the swearing in of the incumbent for a month or longer, in the interests of the USA?

What if the new president insists on the transfer going ahead on schedule, and Bush & co refused?!

Noclevername
2007-Nov-29, 04:26 AM
Way too political for my blood. I think I'll be staying out of this one.

Jens
2007-Nov-29, 04:37 AM
Is there any law or constitution they could invoke to delay the presidential transfer, until the crisis is over?

AFAIK, no. It could not, and would not be done. Now I suppose that a guy like Obama might agree to listen to the advice of his predecessor, but I think it's safe to say that there is no way, short of a coup d'etat, that a succession would be delayed.

In fact, in a complex state like the US, there are contingency plans for lots of things. The military has all sort of wargames prepared. So I don't think that the president has to do a lot of micromanagement. There are enough experts who can advise him or her on what can be done.

ToSeek
2007-Nov-29, 04:38 AM
Political discussions are not allowed on this forum unless related to astronomy, science, or space exploration. Thread closed.