PDA

View Full Version : Hawking on the Science Channel

gethen
2003-Aug-03, 01:07 AM
I don't think this is actually bad astronomy on t.v., but last night the science channel showed A Brief History of Time with Stephen Hawking. I got to see about 5 minutes of it before the phone rang and I had to make nice with my mother-in-law (How does she always know when it's the worst possible time to call?) Did anyone see this program? Was it good? Did it parallel the book, or was it more of a biography of Hawking, as it appeared to be, minus the sound? Should I be watching the t.v. guide for a repeat date?

Beaver
2003-Aug-03, 12:48 PM
I have seen it before, thought it was realy boring More of a biography :(

beskeptical
2003-Aug-04, 08:59 AM
Well I enjoyed it. But it's been a while so my memory of how much was Dr H and how much was cosmology is vague. I will say that it's not likely to be new stuff. It is a bit dated because the pace of new discoveries is so fast.

Mainframes
2003-Aug-04, 11:21 AM
I got to see about 5 minutes of it before the phone rang and I had to make nice with my mother-in-law (How does she always know when it's the worst possible time to call?)

This would be the point where you quietly but firmly say 'Sorry i'm busy at the moment. Can I call you back in an hour?'

tracer
2003-Aug-04, 08:00 PM
Of you could let your answering machine get it, and if it was something more urgent than mother-in-law chit-chat, you could pick up.

gethen
2003-Aug-04, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the info, and suggestions for dealing with the mother-in-law calls. She's a bit touchy, so I do my best to humor her. Understand, my spouse puts up with my mother :o , so it all evens out.

I must have missed the program the first time out, I thought it was a new one. Guess it was more biography than cosmology though. Darn.

Odinoneeye
2003-Aug-05, 04:58 AM
I've read the book and seen the movie (actually saw it in a movie theater).

They're both very interesting in different ways. Don't dismiss it just because it's less about the science and more about his life. Both are fascinating.

CincySpaceGeek
2003-Aug-06, 01:35 AM
Of course to cover everything in the book adequately in a movie you'd need a LOT more that just 2 hours methinks. For the time allowed I thought it was a good balance between technical and biographical content.

Normandy6644
2003-Aug-07, 12:24 AM
I saw it too. I thought it was great, since I had neither read the book nor seen this. I didn't know much about his actual life, which made it interesting. My only problem with the Science channel is that they don't vary their programming enough. There are so many cool shows they could broadcast, but I only see the same group. Anyone know why?

gethen
2003-Aug-07, 12:44 AM
Welcome to the BABB, Normandy. I've noticed the same thing about the Science Channel. I think they do air lots of very good stuff, but they air it over, and over, and over. Maybe we should be glad they do that, rather than doing more junk science or ghost sighting stuff. :wink:

Normandy6644
2003-Aug-07, 01:24 AM
Thanks Gethen! I didn't realize this site had a message board until today. I do like what the science channel shows most of the time (to be honest, I really only watch the astronomy shows :D They really confused me when they moved the shows from Friday to Tuesday, or whenever it is now) but I have to believe that there are more programs that they can show. The one that comes to mind is the series of adapted TV lectures done by Dr. David Goodstein from Caltech. I used to see them in high school, and now they show them on my local PBS channel, but only once a week and at midnight. They're so great. There are probably others out there, and I would hope the science channel could find them.

tracer
2003-Aug-09, 01:38 AM
I've read the book and seen the movie (actually saw it in a movie theater).
A Brief History of Time: The Movie !

Thrill to the harrowing exploits of Stephen Hawking as he zooms through Cambridge in his souped-up wheelchair -- now capable of speeds in excess of 300 kilometers per hour -- hunting down the evil bank robbers/corporate bosses/drug smugglers/mutant supremacists who are out to get rich by throwing the Earth into a black hole! You'll be on the edge of your seat when the almost-totally-paralyzed Hawking whips out two 9 millimeter semiautomatic pistols and blasts heck out of the villains while holding the guns sideways to show how cool he is.

Plus, he gets to use his robotic exoskeleton (http://www.theonion.com/onion3123/hawkingexo.html) from the Onion article.

gethen
2003-Aug-09, 03:58 PM
Gasp in delight as he runs over the feet of annoying celebrities like Jim Carrey!!!! Paulie Shorr!!!